Questions, questions, too many questions.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mohrfamily

Questions, questions, too many questions.

Postby Mohrfamily » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:47 am

Ok so maybe I quoted Jim Carey aka The Riddler from a cheesier version of Batman.

Fact remains: how long have some of you waited for surgery? DH hates talking to the oncologist because she continues to say we are just "keeping cancer at bay" "keeping things stable" her outlook us positive but that's it. I try and remind my husband he's gotten better with his numbers and every scan thus far has shown improvement and maybe her meeting this time is less spectacular considering we don't usually see her till after a scan is done and he's calling today to schedule a new PET at the request of the radiologist.

I remain positive and I don't dwell on negative thoughts but it's harder for him to block things out I understand. But it drives him to fight that much harder. He worries he's going to be in a constant " holding" pattern. After all he's had zero surgical procedures done not counting his port placement.

I know I had more things to ask than that but its early and tone to start the daily grind at least its Friday!
DH dx stage IV liver mets largest 6x6.4 cm
Colonoscopy/endoscopy/port place 5/29
4cm mass in splenic flexure
1st round FolFox 5/30
08/2018 new CT no new lesions, clear lungs, slight decrease in colon.
3/2019 PET scan shows greater than 6-7 liver mets largest measuring 3x3 cm. No growth nothing new.
8/15/19 largest liver lesion 1.9x2.1
9/16/2019 OSU to proceed with surgery implant HAI and colon resection
11/19 resection of colon HAI placed
2/20 CEA back to 1000s, liver worse than when we began-start FOLFIRI

Rock_Robster

Re: Questions, questions, too many questions.

Postby Rock_Robster » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:36 am

Hi Mohrfamily, I’m not an expert on this part, but here’s my two cents.

Have you had a consultation directly with an aggressive liver surgeon? It might be time for a frank discussion with them (and your oncologist) about goals. It sounds like your goal is to get your husband to liver surgery (which makes sense). I would be asking a surgeon specifically what is required to get to this point, in terms of response to treatment. Then you can see how credible that is outcome looks based on the objective response to FOLFOX to date.

If it looks like this isn’t likely on the current trajectory, then it might be worth discussing with your oncologist (or getting a second opinion) on more aggressive liver-targeted treatment. This could be through triplet therapy (FOLFOXIRI), targeted therapy (EGFR/VGFR inhibitors), or something liver-focussed such as HAI, Y-90, partial resections, and/or portal vein embolisation. Ideally the oncologist and the surgeon would then end up on the same page about the goal, and the plan to get there.

Sorry if I’m suggesting things you already know or have tried.

Best of luck.
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

martd

Postby martd » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:22 pm

I agree with robster, With my situation had it been up to my oncologist I would never of had surgery, At my second scan he told me " I know the surgeon told you surgery was possible but it's not going to happen, We'll put you on maintenance chemo after folfox". It was a different story with my surgeon, at my next appt. surgery was scheduled. My liver surgeon told me "you'd be surprised how many people never get surgery when it is possible". This all happened at Mayo clinic. The oncologist telling me I wouldn't have surgery was from Mayo also. Be aggressive with searching for second opinions, and if you haven't talked with a surgeon find one and make an appt.
49 y/o male dx 11/2017 crc
Stage 4 with 17 liver Mets, cea 490
RAS, BRAF WT Tp53 LOF
12 rounds folfox , avastin
5/18 cea 2.8 liver resection and pve
7/18 part 2 liver resection, remove right side of liver
Surgical site mrsa infection, wound vac
8/18 cea .9 cCR, rectal tumor is gone
Rectal surgery postponed, watch and wait
10/18 clear scan CEA .7
01/19 clear scan CEA .9
04/19 clear scan CEA .9
07/19 clear scan CEA 1.0

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:27 pm

I met with THREE oncologists, none of whom were willing to even talk to me about surgery. The fourth one - the one with whom I ultimately ended up working - was the only one willing to even engage in the conversation.

She put me on FOLFOX + Vectibix, and that aggressive combo did the trick on some HUGE mets. I'll have my first resection in about four weeks and a second in October.

So I think there is some truth to the fact that you may need to get much more aggressive in stating that surgery is your goal and asking what will it take for you to get there? And certainly meeting with a surgeon if you haven't already done so.
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 pm

I think you've gotten excellent advice. There does seem to be somewhat of a divide amongst oncologists on this issue. Personally, I'd be looking for someone who was willing to work towards becoming operative.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

juliej

Postby juliej » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:05 pm

boxhill wrote:I think you've gotten excellent advice. There does seem to be somewhat of a divide amongst oncologists on this issue. Personally, I'd be looking for someone who was willing to work towards becoming operative.

Mohrfamily: I agree with boxhill that there's a divide among oncologists on aggressive treatment for Stage 4 patients. Many are more than willing to let things run their course, meaning chemo eventually quits working and you're sent to hospice. I was one of those who were told there was less than zero possibility of surgery. When I continually brought it up to my oncologist, he advised counseling so I could "accept" my fate.

But, one visit to Dr. Kemeny at MSKCC and the whole situation changed! There they said I was a good candidate for surgery, despite what my local oncologist had been stating for 14 months. When I had my liver resection, my surgeon said I was "exceptional." "But," he added, "there are many other Stage 4 patients who are just as exceptional who aren't given a chance for surgery and that's a shame." It's more than a shame. It's a disgrace in the oncology world.

I would ask if the goal is for him to become operative. And if it isn't, I would get a second opinion somewhere else. He hasn't had any new growth since starting treatment, right? And a 50% reduction in the size of his tumors? In my decidedly amateur opinion, someone should be talking to him about the possibility of a liver resection or an HAI pump or both.

Don't be afraid to get another opinion from an oncologist at a NCI-designated cancer center. I know your DH isn't fond of talking to doctors, but he might just have one chance at this. Be strong with your current oncologist - ask hard questions and get straight answers so you know how to proceed.

Sending good energy your way!
Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Mohrfamily

Postby Mohrfamily » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks all.

I decided after his next scans in the near future I'm going to be there for the review and start with we want surgery lets talk about it be it radiation surgery options or getting a consult with a liver surgeon connected to our hospital's cancer center. What they want to get there if he's still not there yet.

Any other questions I should ask please add them to the thread!
1st round FolFox 5/30
3/2019 PET scan shows greater than 6-7 liver mets largest measuring 3x3 cm. No growth nothing new.

FightCRC

Postby FightCRC » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Mohrfamily, forgive me if I'm not remembering your story correctly, but aren't you patients at MSK with Dr. Kemeny? Or you've consulted with them already, at least?

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:38 am

martd wrote:My liver surgeon told me "you'd be surprised how many people never get surgery when it is possible".

Unfortunately I find this both unsurprising and borderline criminal. If the one thing I can achieve throughout this process is that every newly-diagnosed patient with liver mets gets an early, personal consultation with a high-volume hepatobiliary surgeon (to the extent this is possible), then I’ll be satisfied.
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

martd

Postby martd » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Rock_Robster wrote:
martd wrote:My liver surgeon told me "you'd be surprised how many people never get surgery when it is possible".

Unfortunately I find this both unsurprising and borderline criminal. If the one thing I can achieve throughout this process is that every newly-diagnosed patient with liver mets gets an early, personal consultation with a high-volume hepatobiliary surgeon (to the extent this is possible), then I’ll be satisfied.

It's a shame that this goes on. I can understand the oncologist telling me we just don't know at this point so we are going to keep trying, but to tell me surgery is not going happen is a reckless thing to say. I could easily have given up at that point. I like your idea of a mandatory consultation with a surgeon as part of standard of care. This might be a good subject for the next Call on Congress.
49 y/o male dx 11/2017 crc
Stage 4 with 17 liver Mets, cea 490
RAS, BRAF WT Tp53 LOF
12 rounds folfox , avastin
5/18 cea 2.8 liver resection and pve
7/18 part 2 liver resection, remove right side of liver
Surgical site mrsa infection, wound vac
8/18 cea .9 cCR, rectal tumor is gone
Rectal surgery postponed, watch and wait
10/18 clear scan CEA .7
01/19 clear scan CEA .9
04/19 clear scan CEA .9
07/19 clear scan CEA 1.0

Mohrfamily

Postby Mohrfamily » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 am

FightCRC wrote:Mohrfamily, forgive me if I'm not remembering your story correctly, but aren't you patients at MSK with Dr. Kemeny? Or you've consulted with them already, at least?

Yes we did consult with them back in January. DH did more research on the pump and is just not comfortable with the actual pump part. Its again not to say that he wouldn't do it if it became necessary but I think its nerves...
1st round FolFox 5/30

FightCRC

Postby FightCRC » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Mohrfamily wrote:
FightCRC wrote:Mohrfamily, forgive me if I'm not remembering your story correctly, but aren't you patients at MSK with Dr. Kemeny? Or you've consulted with them already, at least?

Yes we did consult with them back in January. DH did more research on the pump and is just not comfortable with the actual pump part. Its again not to say that he wouldn't do it if it became necessary but I think its nerves...

The nerves are warranted. Besides the inconvenience/commitment of the pump, there are also considerable risks to the treatment, as well as potential ramifications on future options.

But should also be understood that there is a window for HAI to be most effective. The less prior treatment, the better. Also, cannot assume that it will always be an option. In the various Facebook CRC groups, there are too many sad examples of patients who have hesitated for too long (for many reasons, including nerves), and by the time they were mentally ready to proceed with HAI, the option was no longer available to them. By they time they decided "it became necessary", it was too late.

Your oncologist's plan to "keep it at bay" and "keep things stable" is very telling. It's chemo-for-life, without explicitly saying so. And we all know that chemo will only work for so long. You absolutely need to be seen by a liver surgeon (or two, or three) to see what they say. If you are told "unresectable", then HAI is a no-brainer, IMO. Because you have little to lose at that point. I would guess that MSK's plan back in January was to get to resection with the pump. If your husband decided against the pump, then there should have been a backup plan to get to resection. That doesn't appear to have happened. So please get back on the resection path ASAP, one way or another. All the best to you and your husband.

Mohrfamily

Postby Mohrfamily » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks FightCRC

I've already looked at 2 other surgeons and my job will pay for us to go to mayo clinic in minnesota if they say they can do more.
1st round FolFox 5/30

Mohrfamily

Postby Mohrfamily » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm

I just want to say that our oncologist has been very good to us her overall attitude and Outlook is a lot more positive now than it was a year ago but at the same time my husband and I are getting tired of the same old song and dance routine but given what we've gone through for the past year we finally got to a point where the oncologist was like yes let's get you to a radiologist let's start talking about Radiology so we have moved forward slightly on it just doesn't seem like enough of a force behind it and I've already researched and found two different liver surgeons in Ohio one of which is in Toledo the other down towards Columbus so if at our next scan follow-up appointment we don't hear something that's a little bit more proactive I'm definitely going to suggest that maybe they get in touch with somebody or if we should just go ahead and get in touch with them for a consult ourselves

One of the nicer things about my job is that this year they actually started a program where if we send in the most up-to-date information and they decide that there's more that can be done they will actually pay for us to visit the Mayo Clinic which the closest one to us would be admitted soda but that would be something like you know they're going to review all the information on paper and then decide if there would be more that they can do then they would have us come out but if there's not then they would make us go through all that just to be told the same thing is here
1st round FolFox 5/30

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:00 pm

martd wrote:
Rock_Robster wrote:

I like your idea of a mandatory consultation with a surgeon as part of standard of care. This might be a good subject for the next Call on Congress.

I’m up for this! I don’t want to divert from Mohrfamily’s topic so I’ll take up elsewhere. Any suggestions on who to work with on this are welcome. Thanks
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
12/19 Liver resection