Could this be colon cancer?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AVF21

Could this be colon cancer?

Postby AVF21 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm a 20 year old male, and I know colon cancer for someone my age is very rare, but I have let Dr. Google get to me and now I'm worrying.

For months now I have been having GI issues. It started back in February where my main symptom was constipation and occasionally got a pain in the upper left part of my abdomen and that went on for about a month. One night I ended up getting really sick, throwing up, diarrhea, and all that. I went to the ER and they said it was probably the stomach flu, which I suspect probably was the culprit because that was the other time in the months I've had these issues that that happened and I felt really sick like that. But that didn't explain my other issues, which I told the ER about and they said it could be gastritis and prescribed me some medicine for that. A few weeks went by and nothing improved so I scheduled an appointment with a GI doctor, which I had to wait until toward the end of April (at this point it was March) to go to because it was tough to get an appointment as I was away from home at college.

The first appointment, the doctor, like the ER, suspected it could be gastritis, and prescribed me with a different medicine. She also told me to start taking stool softener and fiber supplements to help with the constipation. She also sent me to get a blood test and an ultrasound of my liver, pancreas, and galbladder. The blood test was normal except high bilirubin levels, which they couldn't figure out what that was about. The ultrasound came back normal.

So the medicine I took from the doctor was for gastritis, ulcers, and other things. When I was taking that I will say the pain in my abdomen was relieved some but would still be there sometimes. The next visit to the doctor was last week and she said since the medicine didn't really help and I am still having the upper left abdominal pain I am going for an upper endoscopy next week.

So basically where I am now is I am having BM every day with the stool softener and fiber supplements, sometimes after a BM it feels incomplete like I still have to go. I still have abdominal pains, most common in the upper left abdomen area and I think more noticeable after I eat. But one thing I have also noticed is that my stool is often long and thin, not usually pencil thin, but still thinner than I used to have before these problems came about, and I have read that that is a big sign of colon cancer. Has anyone had these symptoms but it turned out not being colon cancer?

I guess if the upper endoscopy doesn't show anything than that will tell me it's something going on lower and I should ask for a colonoscopy. I just keep telling myself that I am only 20 so the odds of it being colon cancer are so low, and there are plenty of other things it could be, but I can't help but in the back of my mind worry about it.

Maggie Nell

Re: Could this be colon cancer?

Postby Maggie Nell » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 pm

where I am now is I am having BM every day with the stool softener and fiber supplements, sometimes after a BM it feels incomplete like I still have to go. I still have abdominal pains, most common in the upper left abdomen area and I think more noticeable after I eat. But one thing I have also noticed is that my stool is often long and thin, not usually pencil thin, but still thinner than I used to have before these problems came about,

Might not your stool be long and thin BECAUSE you are using stool softeners and fibre supplements?

You are young and it's great that you are have gone to the ER and you are linked with doctors and you've had a battery of
tests that are providing information and you are building up a medical history.

but I have let Dr. Google get to me and now I'm worrying.

Might you be teetering into hypochondria/health anxiety? It is natural to be hypervigiliant when you don't have a satisfactory
answer for what's eating away at you. The endoscopy will definitely provide more information and I hope that you receive
relief for your discomfort and anxiety in due course.

Give us an update when those results are in.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

KimT

Postby KimT » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm

We are not doctors. We are just colon cancer survivors or loved ones of survivors. Each of our situations are unique. People present with different symptoms or some no symptoms at all. You are seeing a doctor which is the right thing to do for any health concern.

Best of luck.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 am

One thing you could do is get tested for the presence of Helicobacter pylori bacterium. I think they have a simple breathalyzer test for this, and it could rule out a number of bowel-related disorders.

https://simplyhealth.today/10-most-common-h-pylori-symptoms/

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:47 pm

If the upper GI does not find anything, push for the colonoscopy. Truth be known, your issues could be caused my many things, cancer is just one possibility. And the one everyone assumes. Stay away from Dr. Google. You can diagnose yourself with anything with Dr. Google.

Does colon cancer run in your family? Yes 20 is rare, so try not to worry to much about you having cancer. If your current GI will not give you a scope, find another one that will.

Good luck, and keep us posted,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:28 am

I'm sorry you're going through this!*hugs* I'm glad you're having an upper endoscopy. I would also ask for a colonoscopy to put your mind at ease. I would stay off of google.*hugs* Good luck!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

AVF21

Postby AVF21 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

I had the upper endoscopy today and for the most part everything came back normal. They found that I have gastroesophageal reflux disease, and so they prescribed me medicine to take for a month to deal with that.

The doctor said to just make an appointment as needed. I don't remember even talking to the doctor about this cause I was still pretty out of it, but the nurse said that this wouldn't be a cause for the constipation. So I figure I will start taking the medicine and if that doesn't help anything I'll go back to the doctor. This just doesn't really give me much relief because it doesn't explain the problems that I'm having on the other end, but maybe I'm just worrying too much.

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for updating, AVF21.

Trust that the medication for your GERD will restore the acid-alkaline balance and give
you relief from symptoms. If you have not already done so, connect with a stress-management
clinic and explore your options.

I have personal experience of the benefits of tai chi, Stillness Meditation, mindfulness techniques
and how to stop 'scaring your body' with catastrophic thinking. You are only 20, you have a lot of
years in front of you and "Once were worriers" is a club you should aim to join. Not this one.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”