FDA helping cancer patients

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
martd

FDA helping cancer patients

Postby martd » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Hopefully this will help some people. .. I'm not sure if this link will work, if not a quick search should find it. I saw it on the news this evening

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... s-patients
49 y/o male dx 11/2017 crc
Stage 4 with 17 liver Mets, cea 490
RAS, BRAF WT Tp53 LOF
12 rounds folfox , avastin
5/18 cea 2.8 liver resection and pve
7/18 part 2 liver resection, remove right side of liver
Surgical site mrsa infection, wound vac
8/18 cea .9 cCR, rectal tumor is gone
Rectal surgery postponed, watch and wait
10/18 clear scan CEA .7
01/19 clear scan CEA .9
04/19 clear scan CEA .9
07/19 clear scan CEA 1.0

Pyro70

Re: FDA helping cancer patients

Postby Pyro70 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:46 pm

martd wrote:Hopefully this will help some people. .. I'm not sure if this link will work, if not a quick search should find it. I saw it on the news this evening

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... s-patients

Doubt it will make much difference. The biggest barrier is that Pharma companies just don’t want to release their investigational agents. Sometimes there just isn’t enough available, other times they don’t want to risk bad press, and probably often it’s easier for them to just say no than handle a special request.
Dx Jan 2017 stage IVB w/ PC age 35
FOLFOX
SEP 17 HIPEC 1, anastamosis leak
XELODA
MAR 18 HIPEC 2
JUN 18, ileo reversal and 2nd anastamosis leak

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:59 am

Pyro70 wrote:...Doubt it will make much difference. The biggest barrier is that Pharma companies just don’t want to release their investigational agents. Sometimes there just isn’t enough available, other times they don’t want to risk bad press, and probably often it’s easier for them to just say no than handle a special request.

Based on what I have heard, I would agree with Pyro70. Although the FDA may give its support to this idea, it is the Pharma company itself that has the final say.

Just to give an example, the Amgen investigational product AMG 510, which made sensational news headlines just yesterday, is only in Phase 1 clinical trials right now and currently unlikely to meet Amgen's own published criteria for Expanded Access:

https://www.amgen.com/responsibility/access-to-medicine/access-to-investigational-medicines/

In my opinion, there are several valid reasons listed in the link above that could be used to justify denial of access. For one, they don't have enough evidence right now to establish a safe dosing range.

AMG 510 is the KRAS mutation agent that is under investigation in the Phase 1 clinical trial below.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03600883

martd

Postby martd » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am

I'm sure this won't help now, especially on a wide scale. But you never know, It could be helpful gaining access alot quicker to the next big breakthrough, and maybe that could speed the trial process along also.
49 y/o male dx 11/2017 crc
Stage 4 with 17 liver Mets, cea 490
RAS, BRAF WT Tp53 LOF
12 rounds folfox , avastin
5/18 cea 2.8 liver resection and pve
7/18 part 2 liver resection, remove right side of liver
Surgical site mrsa infection, wound vac
8/18 cea .9 cCR, rectal tumor is gone
Rectal surgery postponed, watch and wait
10/18 clear scan CEA .7
01/19 clear scan CEA .9
04/19 clear scan CEA .9
07/19 clear scan CEA 1.0

WarriorSpouse

Postby WarriorSpouse » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:10 am

Thank you for sharing Martd!

I am happy to see this and expect things that have been recently successful to some, such as Keytruda, being available to many outside of the current norm, hopefully.

Drug companies have a due diligence requirement to sell and distribute things that will help and not harm patients. The fact that the FDA has opened up trials beyond their deadlines gets one party out of the way if a patient is running out of options. There is no magic bullet for cancer. It is unique to each patient and the drugs are tools to combat this uniqueness. This is good news even though some here are skeptical. All FDA approved drugs start somewhere. I am appreciative to "big pharma" for what is currently in use and approved, and with the hope of more good things to come.

Good Science is our friend and not our enemy.
Thanks again!
WS
D/H 47 years old, 10/2014, Stage IV M/CRC, nodes 12/15, para-aortic, 5 cm sigmoid resection, positive Virchow. KRAS mut, MSS, Highly Differentiated, Lynch Neg, 5FU/LV and Avastin 1 YR (Oxi for 5 months), Zeloda/Bev since 01/2016. 02/2019 recurrence para-nodes, back to 5FU/LV Oxy/Bev. It is working again. "...Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other."-Walter Elliot

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”