On a Clinical Trial but I Think We're Reaching the End

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
GrouseMan

Re: On a Clinical Trial but I Think We're Reaching the End

Postby GrouseMan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:16 am

inorganic8 wrote:And one more thing, because I need to vent a little:

No, pharmaceutical companies are not hiding the cure so they can make more money.

No, he has not tried coffee enemas, and he isn't going to... ever... EVER.

And finally, now that the semester is over, I am going over to the local university and I will pay $30 to any kid willing to sell me their chemistry book. And I'm going to carry them around for every jackass that needs to tell me about alkalized water. (They are out there and they are organized.)

Them: You know alkalized water...
Me: Here's a chemistry book
Them: ... I was just going to say it cures...
Me: Turn to page 136
Them:... You see it works by...
Me: There's a whole section on pH adjustment. Look up the part where you add a weak base to a strong acid.

And that's when the stabbing will start.

It is truly amazing what people think is "helpful."

Add to this that CBD and or THC will cure cancer and you hit the trifecta. An acquaintance of my wife was pontificating in this on FB a few weeks ago, nearly 2 years after my wife's passing. Said a dear friend of hers who only was give 3 weeks to live started taking some sort of tincture of CBD and it cured her friend. I said I doubted that and that it was likely one of gods little miracles (I am not a religious person BTW) but I was more willing to believe that than CBD cured her friend. I used to be a drug discovery chemist with a very huge drug company. I actually worked in anti-cancer drug discovery research. Know quite a bit about it. I don't pooh pooh the idea that drugs can come from plants. Its a fact that many started out from plants and the pharmaceutical industry made huge improvements on most of them. In fact have a patent on one that I created from a plant based product - but it wasn't substantially better than a similar already marketed drug. So if I had any faith at all in CBD being a cure - I would have been all over it for my wife.

The organized Alkalized water folks are just plain idiots. Most don't know alkaline from acidic. This idea was presented in one of my first chemistry classes in college, over 41 years ago. Our professor talked about it and the impossibility of ones bodily fluids having its pH changed based on IV or oral intake of acids or bases - it would require so much as to be absolutely toxic in order to overwhelm the built in buffering that takes place. Vitamin C BTW is ascorbic acid found in its lactone form. See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C and many have tried high dose infusions of this to treat cancer to little success. Even this doesn't really effect the pH of blood.

Coffee - Well we recently discussed this. All in moderation. Some claim its good for you some that it causes cancer... Your Mileage may vary. I have been drinking copious amounts for very nearly my whole life. No sign of cancer despite it containing acryl amide. But my wife drank it though not nearly as much as I and it didn't save her either. Cant see that an enema would be all that different than drinking it every day personally.

Now lastly - Pharma companies not wanting a cure. Well - that's the biggest load of horse shit I have ever heard. All of us that work in oncology have friends relatives and loved ones that have been effected by this. So you think we would stand by and let our work sit on a shelf if it could benefit someone? No way - Though Pfizer did shelve a couple of oncology drugs for a while due to more or less internal politics, but they are on the market now (this was well publicized a couple of years ago). Would have helped a lot more people if not for that. They would have made more money sooner had that not happened, but drugs get shelved for a number of reasons, sometimes having nothing to do with the drug efficacy. Ya everyone likes to stick a finger in Pharmas eye, but I tell you we would be a lot worse off if instead their share holders decided it was better to sell Pizza instead.

So - My rant corresponds with your. I was a VERY angry caregiver while my wife suffered from Stage IVb colon cancer. I knew what was going on and what was going to happen and felt absolutely powerless to do anything. She fought nearly 4 years without recriminations. She knew had she done the colonoscopy 3 years earlier she might have made it and would be here with me today. But she and her doctor decided to skip it because my wife was so healthy and physically fit. Diagnosed finally while training for a marathon. Turns out we found out from her mother afterwards that her uncle had FAP grew polyps like a farm.

This is why despite the fact my wife is at rest now - I still turn up here nearly every day, Help were I can. Talk about drugs if people have questions about them. Look for new trials and literature to review and try and make sense of.

So - Rant all you like. I still do 2 years on after she is gone.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

LPL

Postby LPL » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am

GrouseMan,
Thank You So Much for staying here!!!
I do understand your need to speak up.
We are many who wish things had started different.
Kind regards /LPL
(I need to change my signature, my husband is not NED now, he is beeing treated and checked regarding small mets in lungs. Probably been there from the start.)
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Kim,

I am so sorry to read about your husband. I pray that he is pain free surrounded by family friends and love.

Hugs to you and your family,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”