Biopsy result

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JBell550

Biopsy result

Postby JBell550 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:27 am

Hello again,
3cm polyp removed. Consultant says that biopsy result shows low grade dysplasia. He recommends a follow up colonoscopy at 6 months. I should be delighted - right?!? I realise that a high percentage of polyps this size are cancerous and that so many of you have much greater problems to deal with. So....my question is....should I be grateful and wait the 6 months? Is there any need to request the biopsy report for more detail. (I'm in UK - so you are made to feel like a bit of a drama queen if you add to the huge paperwork / red tape burden our NHS staff are under). Should i enquire if the polyp was on the right or left side? What's the odds of it returning or getting cancer?. Etc. Etc. (Any other questions I should ask?). Or should I just sit back and enjoy the fact that I am presently cancer free.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
(Having an apprehensive celebratory glass of wine).

Thinking and praying for all of you in a worse situation.
Lots of love
Julie

Green Tea

Re: Biopsy result

Postby Green Tea » Thu May 23, 2019 11:04 am

JBell550 wrote: ... So....my question is.... Is there any need to request the biopsy report for more detail....Should i enquire if the polyp was on the right or left side? ...

To get a more complete picture of your polyp risk factor profile, you could request a written copy of the biopsy report and then ask about:

1. Polyp growth pattern: Was it Villous, or Tubulovillous by any chance?
2. Polyp type: Was it a pedunculated (mushroom-like) polyp, or was it a sessile (flat) polyp?

Different kinds of polyps generally have different risk profiles. And some are more likely to show up on the left side while others are more likely to appear on the right side.

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/colon-pathology/colon-polyps-sessile-or-traditional-serrated-adenomas.html?ssDomainNum=5c38e88&print=t

JBell550

Re: Biopsy result

Postby JBell550 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:27 pm

I know that it was a mushroom shaped polyp, but that is all. I will ask for the report.
Thanks
Julie

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”