Large polyp removed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JBell550

Large polyp removed

Postby JBell550 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:58 am

Hi again,
My first ever colonoscopy found a large 3cm polyp. Initial biopsies were benign. I had it removed this week. This was tougher and more painful than I thought and hi had to stay over night due to low blood pressure and pain from a trapped air pocket. I am feeling better now, however I am starting to feel very anxious about the new biopsies. How likely is it that they will find cancer deep in the centre if the polyp? If so Is it likely to be at an early stage as it was seemingly encapsulated in benign tissue. The surgeon said little except that he was happy he had got it all out and burned away any 'Rough edges', all sealed with 5 clips. Has anyone experienced similar?
Thanks for your support - as always
Julie x

Deb m

Re: Large polyp removed

Postby Deb m » Fri May 17, 2019 9:55 am

My mother went thru something similar to that. Two years ago, they found a polyp and removed it. It was found to be non cancerous. I think it was around 2 cm in size. They also marked the area with clips so they could keep an eye on it in future scopes. A year later, a new growth/polyp formed in the same area. This time it showed cancer. They did not remove this one during the scope because they said it was to large which was really alarming to us because all that growth occurred in just one year! They did a colon resection and removed many lymph nodes for biopsy as well. The cancer showed in one of 24 nodes. I don't tell you this to alarm you or worry you. If your biopsy comes back clean, still keep on top of things and be sure to have another scope within a year, even 6 months. If it's positive, then hopefully it's an early find.

Hang in there,. we found that waiting is one of the hardest parts.

Deb m

JBell550

Postby JBell550 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks for this. Yes, it terrifies me, but it is best to know - so thanks for the warning. Hope you don't mind me asking - What further treatment did they give your mum?
Thanks again
Julie x

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Fri May 17, 2019 11:28 am

My mother is 81 years old, so they elected the wait and watch approach. Since the one lymph node they saw it in was removed, they say there is a good chance that she may be cancer free. Her scan two weeks ago was clear and her CEA is normal. Even if there is some lingering cancer somewhere, colon cancer is one of the slowest growing cancers there is, so her being 81 years old, she would possibly die of something before the cancer got the best of her. If sh were younger, they would of, for precaution wise, would of recommended folfox for three months.

Do let me know what you path report says, and don't be discouraged if it shows cancer. My husband is also a cancer survivor. He was DX at age 52 with colon cancer 8 years ago. He did have to do chemo for 6 months, but has been cancer free since.

Hang in there,

Deb m

JBell550

Postby JBell550 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks so much for your support Debs

Pyro70

Postby Pyro70 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 pm

JBell550 wrote:Thanks so much for your support Debs

JBell from the sound of it, you either have no cancer or hopefully very early stage disease. You should be in good shape now that it’s removed.
Dx Jan 2017 stage IVB w/ PC age 35
FOLFOX
SEP 17 HIPEC 1, anastamosis leak
XELODA
MAR 18 HIPEC 2
JUN 18, ileo reversal and 2nd anastamosis leak

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”