HAI Pump Flow Problem

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dhamptonii

HAI Pump Flow Problem

Postby dhamptonii » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:40 pm

I posted this over on the fb group for HAI pumps and thought I'd ask here as well. We meet w Dr. D'Angelica at MSK (liver surgeon) last Monday (along w Kemeny and Paty) and were planning on the HAI pump. Unfortunately, my wife's anatomy is creating a problem. High level; the right side of the liver needs to be removed but the remaining anatomy won't flow the chemo to the left side of the liver. They have tried thinkg in the past to overcome this but haven't been successful. He has one idea that he's consulting his colleagues on. We'll know more mid next week.

Question: Has anyone had the HAI pump installed by one of the other centers that had this problem and they found a solution? If I can find someone that overcame this problem then I can direct Dr. D'Angelica their way and see if it would work for my wife.

juliej

Re: HAI Pump Flow Problem

Postby juliej » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:12 pm

dhamptonii wrote:I posted this over on the fb group for HAI pumps and thought I'd ask here as well. We meet w Dr. D'Angelica at MSK (liver surgeon) last Monday (along w Kemeny and Paty) and were planning on the HAI pump. Unfortunately, my wife's anatomy is creating a problem. High level; the right side of the liver needs to be removed but the remaining anatomy won't flow the chemo to the left side of the liver. They have tried thinkg in the past to overcome this but haven't been successful. He has one idea that he's consulting his colleagues on. We'll know more mid next week.

Question: Has anyone had the HAI pump installed by one of the other centers that had this problem and they found a solution? If I can find someone that overcame this problem then I can direct Dr. D'Angelica their way and see if it would work for my wife.

That's why all potential HAI patients have to have a CT angiogram of their liver blood supply. We think we're all alike, but humans vary enormously in their anatomies!

I don't know of any solution to a flow issue like the one you describe, but you can bet if there's a way, Dr. D'Angelica will find it. The MSK docs are very creative when it comes to difficult cases.

Sending good thoughts your way that a solution can be found!
Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

cartech78

Re: HAI Pump Flow Problem

Postby cartech78 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:56 pm

My situation is different but the catheter for my pump is not in the main hepatic artery they usually use as mine is so narrow they couldn’t make it work. Dr.Kingham installed in a different artery which I don’t remember the name of and luckily it still profused to the entire liver.
40 Y/o male
Dx 10/5/18 stage lV CRC
Sg colon
23 inoperable liver mets largest 4.5 cm
Colon resection 10/6/18 clean margins
Starting FolFox on 11/18
2nd opinion at MSK on 12/18
HAI pump installed on 3/6/2019 also found 20 more small tumors on liver scans missed
7/2/2019 MRI and CT show only 2 liver tumors visible and they are shrunk by 3/4
11/25/19- Liver resection at MSK- got out all cancer and am NED. More scans and mop up chemo to follow.
1 month Scan clear! Jun/20 scans still clear. Off chemo since 3/20

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”