CRC hitting young people more frequently

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpbser

CRC hitting young people more frequently

Postby mpbser » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:57 am

A while back, there was some conversation here about how so many young people are getting CRC these days. I speculated that GMOs and folic acid have something to do with it. At the time I commented, I was thinking only about the fact that the ingestion/digestion of GMOs results in genetic alteration of the gut bacteria in microbiomes. I just saw an email stating that the World Health Organization has labeled RoundUp a PROBABLE carcinogen. That jogged my memory about the prior posts so I wanted to add that I also suspect the increased use of pesticides, such as RoundUp, in our food supply has something to do with the CRC in youth phenomenon. This is connected to the advent of the use of GMOs which began in 1994, and from what I have heard the chances of developing CRC are much higher among those born later than 1995. Farming of many GMOs ends up using far greater volumes of pesticides than non-GMO crops. Glyphosate is in everything from oats to honey. We live in some very scary times.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

del

Re: CRC hitting young people more frequently

Postby del » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 am

CRC in young people has been increasing since well before 1994. The chance of a young person getting CRC in 1990 was already double that of 1950 (source: https://www.bowelcanceraustralia.org/never-too-young). From what I've read, scientists are unsure exactly why the incidence of CRC in young people is increasing, but it may be partially explained by increasing rates of obesity. I've never heard of CRC being caused by GMOs or pesticides before, though.
Male, 33 @ dx, stage 1 RC (T1N0M0 mod. diff. 0/29 LNs)
2016-02 - Cancerous polyp removed during colonscopy, 0.5 mm margin
2016-03 - ULAR & TME surgery, temp ileostomy
2016-04 - DVT, pulmonary embolism
2016-11 - Ileostomy reversal
2018-10 - Another DVT & PE
2021 - 5 years of clean scopes/scans/bloods

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:36 am

A comment from fb:

It’s happening more and more and more with that age range, and medical field can’t figure it out.
I had read an article in a medical journal that said anyone who is born in 1995 and after has a crazy number higher risk for CRC.

A paper showing a correlation between IBD rates and the application of glyphosate to our food supply (The most useful chart is on page 25 of this paper):

Swanson NL, Leu A, Abrahamson J, Wallet B. "Genetically Engineered Crops, Glyphosate and the Deterioration of Health in the United States of America." Journal of Organic Systems 2014, 9, 2. Web: http://www.organic-systems.org/journal/ ... -et-al.pdf.

from: https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.co ... 73#p423973
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

Pyro70

Postby Pyro70 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:15 pm

mpbser wrote:A comment from fb:

It’s happening more and more and more with that age range, and medical field can’t figure it out.
I had read an article in a medical journal that said anyone who is born in 1995 and after has a crazy number higher risk for CRC.

A paper showing a correlation between IBD rates and the application of glyphosate to our food supply (The most useful chart is on page 25 of this paper):

Swanson NL, Leu A, Abrahamson J, Wallet B. "Genetically Engineered Crops, Glyphosate and the Deterioration of Health in the United States of America." Journal of Organic Systems 2014, 9, 2. Web: http://www.organic-systems.org/journal/ ... -et-al.pdf.

The Journal of Organic Systems isn’t credible (not even included in Pubmed) and is basically a who’s who of anti-GMO. The science on prevalence of IBD is actually quite interesting. We see incidence pop up in countries as they become more industrialized. There is a very interesting story comparing Malmo (Sweden) and Copenhagen (Denmark) that are geographically very close by the incidence growth is offset by a 20 years or so. Chron’s is basically non existent in most of Asia but UC is starting to show up. If they could show the correlation of glyophosphate usage and growth of IBD for various countries globally I may be more inclinded to find this interesting (eg Asia certainly uses glyphosate but doesn’t have much IBD yet). For now it’s just correlation without a proof of causation.
Dx Jan 2017 stage IVB w/ PC age 35
FOLFOX
SEP 17 HIPEC 1, anastamosis leak
XELODA
MAR 18 HIPEC 2
JUN 18, ileo reversal and 2nd anastamosis leak

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:24 pm

mpbser wrote:Swanson NL, Leu A, Abrahamson J, Wallet B. "Genetically Engineered Crops, Glyphosate and the Deterioration of Health in the United States of America." Journal of Organic Systems 2014, 9, 2.

mpbser, are you familiar with a reputation of "Journal of Organic Systems"?

It seems to me that this article is a pseudoscience:
https://www.scimagojr.com/journalsearch.php?q=Organic+Systems
"Sorry, no results were found."

https://camiryan.com/2013/06/12/from-i-smell-a-rat-to-when-pigs-fly-bad-science-makes-its-rounds/
…it was incorrect for the researchers to conclude that one group had more stomach inflammation than the other group because the researchers did not examine stomach inflammation. They did a visual scoring of the colour of the lining of the stomach of pigs at the abattoir and misinterpreted redness to indicate evidence of inflammation. It does not. They would have had to take a tissue sample and prepare histological slides and examine these samples for evidence of inflammatory response such as white blood cell infiltration and other changes to determine if there was inflammation.

http://www.marklynas.org/2013/06/gmo-pigs-study-more-junk-science/
"This journal does not appear in PubMed, suggesting it is not taken very seriously in the scientific community. It only publishes about twice a year, mostly with research touting the benefits of organic agriculture."
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:11 am

It's only a theory...as you see in my original post, "I speculated." Someone said that they had never heard of a connection between CRC and GMOs or pesticides, so I threw out a previous conversation about it.

Yes, correlation is not proof of causation but there can be no causation without correlation, so it's a start.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild