MRI before chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
natelaugh

MRI before chemo

Postby natelaugh » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi,

Should my dad get a MRI baseline before his 5FU chemo? Is it a good idea to have a before and after chemo images? He has chronic kidney disease, so the MRI with contrast might harm his kidney. I don't want him to do a CT scan because of the radiations. BTW, I want to thank everyone for read this. I know everyone different. However, I trust your experience and like to hear them.

Thanks,
Nate.
Caregiver to 80M
DX:CC,RC,desc
11/2018 rightPain
1/19/19 scopy,path
1/23 CTscan
2/19 surgery
2/26-2/28 NGTube
2/28-3/14 TPN bc ileus
3/2 2nd surgeryCloseOpenWound
3/4-3/28 woundVac
size: 6cm Adenocarcinoma
grade Poorly
Stage IIIC T3N2aMx
PositiveLymph:5of28
BaselineCEA:68
LVI:Y
PNI:N
Surgical margins:clear
MSI:MMR (MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2) Intact nuclear expression
Lynch status:N
Laparascopic, partial colectomy
CEA:3/28/19 2.8
Chemo:4/16/19-9/17/19 5FU,12cycles,every 14days,leucoverin,zofran,Dexamethasone

rp1954

Re: MRI before chemo

Postby rp1954 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:33 am

I would try to do more extensive bloodwork now, before his chemo starts, so that it can be compared in the months and years after his chemo. Also that first CA199 test can generate a discussion about a milder treatment than Folfox, that potentially has better statistics when done right.

We used fewer scans and more bloodwork. We could do a lot more with bloodwork because of the milder chemo with careful supplements; heavy chemo distorts most blood panels.

The extra initial bloodwork that I normally talk about includes CA199, LDH, with hsCRP and ESR, GGT, 25 hydroxy vitamin D, cerruloplasin, ferritin, AFP, quantitative D-dimer, and maybe the markers CA125, CA72-4 and prolactin. TSH, fT3, HgbA1C are used for other common support, and potential interferences, like with CA199.

Our ongoing bloodwork orders particularly add at least CA199, LDH, hsCRP over "the normal" CBC-CEA-Chem14 or 20. Timely, inexpensive, extra information gave us extra chances people often don't get.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

natelaugh

Postby natelaugh » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:53 am

rp1954 wrote:I would try to do more extensive bloodwork now, before his chemo starts, so that it can be compared in the months and years after his chemo. Also that first CA199 test can generate a discussion about a milder treatment than Folfox, that potentially has better statistics when done right.

We used fewer scans and more bloodwork. We could do a lot more with bloodwork because of the milder chemo with careful supplements; heavy chemo distorts most blood panels.

The extra initial bloodwork that I normally talk about includes CA199, LDH, with hsCRP and ESR, GGT, 25 hydroxy vitamin D, cerruloplasin, ferritin, AFP, quantitative D-dimer, and maybe the markers CA125, CA72-4 and prolactin. TSH, fT3, HgbA1C are used for other common support, and potential interferences, like with CA199.

Our ongoing bloodwork orders particularly add at least CA199, LDH, hsCRP over "the normal" CBC-CEA-Chem14 or 20. Timely, inexpensive, extra information gave us extra chances people often don't get.

My dad has colon cancer stage 3B, T3N2aMx, which blood work applies to him? Not sure if the oncologist will do it, what should I said?

Thanks,
Nate.
Caregiver to 80M
DX:CC,RC,desc
11/2018 rightPain
1/19/19 scopy,path
1/23 CTscan
2/19 surgery
2/26-2/28 NGTube
2/28-3/14 TPN bc ileus
3/2 2nd surgeryCloseOpenWound
3/4-3/28 woundVac
size: 6cm Adenocarcinoma
grade Poorly
Stage IIIC T3N2aMx
PositiveLymph:5of28
BaselineCEA:68
LVI:Y
PNI:N
Surgical margins:clear
MSI:MMR (MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2) Intact nuclear expression
Lynch status:N
Laparascopic, partial colectomy
CEA:3/28/19 2.8
Chemo:4/16/19-9/17/19 5FU,12cycles,every 14days,leucoverin,zofran,Dexamethasone

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 am

natelaugh wrote:
rp1954 wrote: ... CA199, LDH, with hsCRP and ESR, GGT, 25 hydroxy vitamin D, cerruloplasin, ferritin, AFP, quantitative D-dimer, and maybe the markers CA125, CA72-4 and prolactin. TSH, fT3, HgbA1C, [PT/INR] are used for other common support, and potential interferences, like with CA199.
... which blood work applies to him? .. what should I say?

It's potentially easier to get a few extra tests done routinely by the doctors once you have the initial big battery done and they can spot reasons to add them.

I blew off insurance considerations the first year because I would have lost too much time and patience with their bs, instead of focusing on important tasks and results. However, insurance reimbursement the next year became a bloodsport again.

Potentially you might have a situation later where the best you can do insurance wise is to have the regular dr - insurance version of bloodwork at 2-3 month intervals, and a separate test, midway in between, if you feel a need to watch closer. Then getting the same lab is important.

Not sure if the oncologist will do it,...

Yes, we found it cheaper and more productive to just order blood tests ourselves by phone directly from the labs. The primary difference is insurance coverage is usually with a doctors scrip, but insurance paid for our own extra tests once, kind of burning up annual money. The other reason to have a doctor's order on the routine tests, is that some tests can have substantial brand differences between lab panels, like CEA. On the "extras" I wouldn't worry about it too much the lab variations. I sometimes use Life Extension in the US to pre-buy blood tests when they are on sale, like now.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”