Life Extension article: Chemotherapy (101 and beyond)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
zephyr

Life Extension article: Chemotherapy (101 and beyond)

Postby zephyr » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:27 am

I was having an online chat this morning with a representative of LifeExtension - looking for their CRC protocols to see how closely they matched what I'm already doing or taking. I was sent this link to an article on chemotherapy and thought others might be interested in reading it.

https://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Cancer/Chemotherapy/Page-01

You can easily access the sections by selecting from the dropdown list. Those sections are:
Table of Contents
Introduction
How Does Chemotherapy Work?
How is Chemotherapy Administered?
Chemotherapy Dose Optimization
Novel and Emerging Concepts In Chemotherapy
Lessening Chemotherapy Side Effects
The Controversy: Antioxidant Supplementation and Chemotherapy
Integrative Strategies to Complement Chemotherapy
References
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

rp1954

Re: Life Extension article: Chemotherapy (101 and beyond)

Postby rp1954 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:57 pm

Well, that summary list is a good find, a key piece to LEF's rejiggered cancer series. I see LEF started this new monograph ca 2016. It has mutated doses and supplements some, perhaps somewhat more generalized for cancers rather than just CRC. Some things are moved to more of a support category, on their accepted evidence levels, so far. Perhaps its an update of the older CRC specific lists, which I think are still worth reviewing for candidate pills and doses.

Celecoxib which is considered more CRC specific has been re-replaced by Lodine, an older generic COX2 inhibitor in the general cancer tx scheme. I do note that we used some of these items and other natural additions, at sharply higher doses. e.g. vitamin B6, B12, coQ10, C and D3.

What is also important is that they have added a brief page on chemotherapies. Lo and behold, there is the base or root immunochemo formula for my wife:
UFT + PSK +- (targeted) cimetidine ! Please note the that the Futraful information entry is tegafur only, where UFT (tegafur + uracil) should be considered generally superior for CRC, nicer and more effective with smaller pills. The only reason I'd buy tegafur alone, would be to hand load the uracil ourselves, where some countries may only have tegafur available.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

mpbser

Re: Life Extension article: Chemotherapy (101 and beyond)

Postby mpbser » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks for sharing! I found this to be very interesting: Cancer cells have highly developed mechanisms to rid themselves of toxins and degrade cytotoxic agents, including chemotherapy drugs. One key mechanism by which cancer cells eliminate toxins depends upon a protein called P-glycoprotein. This cell-membrane protein, which occurs in high amounts on cancer cells, pumps chemotherapeutic agents out of cancer cells. It is one of the chief culprits in multi-drug resistant cancer. Several natural compounds, such as quercetin, epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) from green tea, genistein, and curcumin inhibit P-glycoprotein (Abdallah 2015; Bansal 2009; Boumendjel 2011).

My husband was taking three out of four of those (+ others) when his liver tumor shrank from 1.3 x .9 cm to 1.1 x .4 cm.

Very, very, very helpful information https://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols ... py/Page-06
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild