Radiation induced menopause

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Cmarie03

Radiation induced menopause

Postby Cmarie03 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi all! I am a 34yo female with rectal cancer. I’ve been told that this radiation I’m undergoing will kill my ovaries and push me into menopause. And I just don’t know what to expect. I guess I will just KNOW?? I am so confused by it all. I guess my periods will just stop?? Did everyone have horrible menopause symptoms?? I’m asking bc my mom and sister both went through menopause early (40-41) and had a hard time with side effects. I’m just worried if I’ll have a hell of a time bc my body is being forced into it?? Can anyone shed some light from their experience?? I don’t know why I’m so nervous for it to happen but I am. If it is going to kill my ovaries I guess I will get them out at time of surgery but that will be a convo I’ll have with my gyno and surgeon. Thanks for any advice.
Diagnosed stage IIIC rectal cancer 12/20/18 in ER
4 rounds FOLFOX January 2019-February 2019
Xeloda/Radiation March 2019-April 2019
4 more rounds FOLFOX 6/5-7/17
Surgery sched 8/20/19

tjheyn

Re: Radiation induced menopause

Postby tjheyn » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi. I underwent radiation and went into instant menopause. My periods just stopped, had instant hot flashes and couldn't sleep. My gyno and oncologist decided that it would be best if I went on hormone replacement and it has been a life saver. It is scary to think that it will all be instant but you will be fine. You and your doctor can decide whether you should go on hormones. I have to say, though I don't miss having a period. Good luck!!

Cmarie03

Postby Cmarie03 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:07 pm

tjheyn wrote:Hi. I underwent radiation and went into instant menopause. My periods just stopped, had instant hot flashes and couldn't sleep. My gyno and oncologist decided that it would be best if I went on hormone replacement and it has been a life saver. It is scary to think that it will all be instant but you will be fine. You and your doctor can decide whether you should go on hormones. I have to say, though I don't miss having a period. Good luck!!

Thanks for the reply! My mom also had hormone induced breast cancer (she took hormones for 20 years) so idk if they’d put me on it or not? Guess I’ll just play it by ear until I start getting symptoms
Surgery sched 8/20/19

texazgal

Postby texazgal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:22 pm

I didn't have menopause from radiation, but the normal way. Didn't take hormones, but found some natural remedies for the hot flashes. Maybe it was mental, but they seemed to help some. One I remember was soy milk, also Evening Primrose and I found a homeopathic mixture that was purported to relieve symptoms. Am sure there are others, just do a search. By the way, doing menopause in Tempe, AZ was a killer, don't recommend it at all! Hope you live somewhere cool.
DX rectal cancer Aug 04
Surgery Sept 04, perm ostomy, "BarbieButt" Sept 23, 04.
June 2019 stage 3 esophageal cancer
Aug. 2019 28 radiations, 5 chemo
Nov. PET shows original tumor and mets resolved, 2 new mets in liver and bone.
May 2020 port installed, started Folfox hope to do 12 rounds, cure not expected
Keytruda April 2021 8 rounds
scan showed small growth in tumors
Paclitaxol started summer 2021.
Scan July 30, 2021 showed small decrease in size of tumors in liver and bone

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:41 pm

CMarie:
There are several options for low dose options for hormone replacement therapy that you can consider with your medical team, especially considering your mother’s history.

And remember . . . Times have changed since your mother received HRT and medical opinions and thinking have evolved and shifted.

I experienced acute onset of menopause due to a Pituitary tumor. I felt as though I had been hit by a truck. The symptoms were not pleasant. Hot flashes (I felt as though you could see steam rising from my inner core); muscle/joint pain; mental fog; poor sleep quality; emotional volatility - I would cry at the drop of a hat; vaginal drying and atrophy.

I went on LOW dose hormone replacement therapy for about 10-12 months. It made a world of difference in improving how I felt. Thereafter, I used Premarin cream 3 x a week for about 6 months, local vaginal use.

I have not needed to use any hormone replacement in the years since. Zero. None. I used HRT as a supportive bridge to aide the sudden thrust into a menopausal state. So know that use of HRT does not necessarily mean life-time use of HRT.

I did have reservations about using Premarin (as I am a huge animal lover and was conflicted about using estrogens derived from the urine of confined/pregnant female horses) but my vagina symptoms were really uncomfortable. I tried to keep my use of Premarin minimal.

There is a respected line of homeopathic/plant based female products called “Emeritus”. The Emeritus product line is a viable alternative for women in coping with peri-menopause and menopause symptoms. Their product “Pro-Gest Balancing Creme” is one option to consider. It is a topical cream with a plant-based progesterone base. In another thread, I mentioned that this cream can be used with vaginal dilators where tissue dryness makes insertion of a dilator uncomfortable/impossible.

Low dose HRT for a brief/limited/subscribed period of time may help you minimize the worst of menopause symptoms.

Sudden/acute onset of menopause can be quite distressing. Symptoms of menopause hit suddenly and forcefully. You do not have the benefit of experiencing a gradual waning of hormone levels as is the case with the normal and gradual onset of menopause.

Sending you positive karma and positive energy to help you through the menopause transition.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Cmarie03

Postby Cmarie03 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:48 pm

MissMolly wrote:CMarie:
There are several options for low dose options for hormone replacement therapy that you can consider with your medical team, especially considering your mother’s history.

And remember . . . Times have changed since your mother received HRT and medical opinions and thinking have evolved and shifted.

I experienced acute onset of menopause due to a Pituitary tumor. I felt as though I had been hit by a truck. The symptoms were not pleasant. Hot flashes (I felt as though you could see steam rising from my inner core); muscle/joint pain; mental fog; poor sleep quality; emotional volatility - I would cry at the drop of a hat; vaginal drying and atrophy.

I went on LOW dose hormone replacement therapy for about 10-12 months. It made a world of difference in improving how I felt. Thereafter, I used Premarin cream 3 x a week for about 6 months, local vaginal use.

I have not needed to use any hormone replacement in the years since. Zero. None. I used HRT as a supportive bridge to aide the sudden thrust into a menopausal state. So know that use of HRT does not necessarily mean life-time use of HRT.

I did have reservations about using Premarin (as I am a huge animal lover and was conflicted about using estrogens derived from the urine of confined/pregnant female horses) but my vagina symptoms were really uncomfortable. I tried to keep my use of Premarin minimal.

There is a respected line of homeopathic/plant based female products called “Emeritus”. The Emeritus product line is a viable alternative for women in coping with peri-menopause and menopause symptoms. Their product “Pro-Gest Balancing Creme” is one option to consider. It is a topical cream with a plant-based progesterone base. In another thread, I mentioned that this cream can be used with vaginal dilators where tissue dryness makes insertion of a dilator uncomfortable/impossible.

Low dose HRT for a brief/limited/subscribed period of time may help you minimize the worst of menopause symptoms.

Sudden/acute onset of menopause can be quite distressing. Symptoms of menopause hit suddenly and forcefully. You do not have the benefit of experiencing a gradual waning of hormone levels as is the case with the normal and gradual onset of menopause.

Sending you positive karma and positive energy to help you through the menopause transition.
Karen

Wow thank you!!!!! I will look up all these things!! I am nervous but just taking it as it comes as that’s all I can do. I have a lot to learn about it. Thank you again!!
Surgery sched 8/20/19

AppleTree

Postby AppleTree » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:00 pm

This happened to me too. Get a remote controlled fan!!! On. Off. On. Off...all without having to get up, out of bed. I tell all my friends...a remote controlled fan is your best friend during this time!
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston