About to get Y-90 treatment

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
adamdarby87
Facebook Username: Adam Darby

About to get Y-90 treatment

Postby adamdarby87 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi there. I'm new here. I am a stage 4 rectal cancer patient whose cancer, which was already in the liver, spread to the lungs during rectal radiation treatment, taking me off the list for resection. I am on second-line FOLFIRI treatment. Anybody been down this road? Any success or horror stories? How about chemo after the Y-90? I am inclined to stay away from Avastin, despite my Onc's recommendation. Just looking for thoughts. Thanks.

caregiverinSD

Re: About to get Y-90 treatment

Postby caregiverinSD » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 rectal cancer last year. He had 2-3 small suspected tumors in the liver and one area on the lung that lit up with the PET scan. He did 6 weeks of chemo/ radiation, then RFA to the lung tumor, then 6 rounds of Folfox + Avastin, then surgery to resect the liver and permanent colostomy. All clear margins, with NED status. There were 6 more rounds of chemo and then monitoring for the last year. My husband has been NED for coming up on a year and a half. I would say you fight hard for surgery. Get a second opinion from a respected cancer hospital. I always told my husband, no one is going to care more about the outcome than us and our young kids. Hope that helps!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”