Surgery tomorrow..

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kirsty5
Facebook Username: Kirsten

Surgery tomorrow..

Postby Kirsty5 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello everyone,

My Dad (76) is having a low anterior resection tomorrow (TEN) and I just wanted to hear from those who have been through this. Also curious if anyone has had surgery in my father's age group, of perhaps has known someone that has? He was diagnosed with multiple myeloma less than a year ago, and has had a lot to face. I am trying to support him however I can- trying to learn about aftercare.

He is slated for a temporary ileostomy and is quite nervous about this - the idea of changing the bags is difficult for him. (The surgeon says that a small amount of cases this is permanent, but the nurse dismissed this saying "They always say that.." His approach is conservative, given my Dad's age, he wants to give him time to heal. Also, if he goes back on his immunotherapy drugs for his myeloma, his white blood cell count drops. He will see the ostomy nurse several times during his 5-7 days in the hospital, where hopefully he will feel more comfortable with changing his bag. Home care seems questionable, and my Dad has neuropathy in both his hands. He has trouble getting lids off pills, etc. I have been searching for appliances for people with arthritis and information is vague. Does anyone know of a way to deal with these challenges? He also uses medical cannabis and the mind boggles thinking of the implications of long naps with a bag that needs emptied 6-8 times a day!

I have also been looking at the reversal which seems fraught with difficulty! So many threads, it is hard to isolate one that might help us in our situation, though all the info here is truly helpful, first hand experience. I really want to help him on this journey.

(On a side note, have most people requested an atavan (or similar) before surgery, for nerves? One nurse said it was no problem, another said they don't want their patients in an altered state before surgery..)

Thank you so much for any thoughts!

Kirsty5

Re: Surgery tomorrow..

Postby Kirsty5 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 am

Bumping.. hoping

Pyro

Postby Pyro » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Have him take the Ativan if the drug anesthesiologist says it’s OK, it’ll calm everyone. I have a colostomy, which is pretty different from an illeostomy but I had a hard time with it and only time made it better. My wife changed it for a few months after surgery until I figured it out. His hands will be an issue, but all he can do is try.
Aug 2015- Stage 4 CC with liver Mets(38/m)
Sep 2015- Avastin/Folfox/Iron
Dec 2015-Not liver surgery candidate
Jan 2016- Erbitux/Folfiri, 2nd opinion at MDA in TX
Feb 2016 -MDA liver surgery
Mar 2016 -30% of left lobe rem, PVE
May 2016 - 70% of liver rem
Jun 2016-Rad
Jan 2017-perm colost @MDA
Jul 2017-Erb/FOLFURI
Nov 2017 -Lung & Liver ablations@MDA
Jan 2018 -Xeloda & Avastin mx
Jul 2018-Avast/FOLFURI
Sep 2018-Rad
Mar 2019 - Keytruda fail
Jun 2019 - FOLFURI
Aug 2019 - No more, quality time!

Kirsty5

Postby Kirsty5 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Thank you..!

So confused, many elderly/arthritic people must have hand issues, and how can one possibly have someone with them all day to change their bag for them if they weren't in care.. He is certainly willing to try :)

SteveNZ

Postby SteveNZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi Kirsty,
I can see how rotten it must be for you all. :(
I am pretty young (well I think 57 is still young) and am not in such a situation.

What I can share is that with my 'bag' (which is permanent) for quite a while, months, I needed help to change the bag. Primarily as I had extreme 'wobbles-shaking' after it all. BUT folk do adapt and I learned ways to cope.
What I can say is that for myself it is nothing like I thought it would be and far, far easier than I thought it would be. And failing to get it right is perfectly normal. You laugh, do it again and get back to whatever game you are at or other activity. :) :D :) :?

I wish you all the best put in some 'knee drill' (Salvation Army term for prayer) for you.
Aged 56 - I feel really young...
Colo-Rectal Cancer T2 N1 M0
March 2018 - Diagnosis
April-May 2018 Radiation+Chemo then a TIA (Minor Stroke). - Stopped Chemo.
August 27th-November 2018 - Surgery and long, long recovery
*Decided to live to 100 as I will get a telegram from Her Majesty the Queen when 100yrs old. I so, so want one.
Am a Salvation Army chap so I complete 'knee drill' (prayer) to the Commander in Chief often. For myself personally this helps me through.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:41 am

I hope your Dad's surgery went well! :D
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Caat55

Postby Caat55 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:25 pm

The home health nurse should be experienced with people with nerve issues, fine motor challenges. There are bags that are easier to change then others. The occupational therapist that works in HH should also be able to help, I am one so I should know. It was a challenge to change it during chemo as my hands didn't work well, I found it better to wait a few days after chemo, not to do it first thing when I was more clumsy. Break up the tasks, cut opening, open packages and take a break, come back to changing later.
Susan,,
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20