Severe back pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Educator
Facebook Username: Ebru köse

Severe back pain

Postby Educator » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:17 am

:? My husband has severe back pain nearly 1 month. Have you got any idea. He got MRI for back and the mrı shows nothing . So why ??? Pls help
Caregiver of husband
Stage 4 rectum ca 14 dec 2017
Chemo 3 rounds vectibix
Pet ;10 mm met in liver
MRI; 1-4 mets in liver
Chemo 3 rounds
Pet ;NED
MRI ;1-5 mets in liver
6 rounds chemo
Pet;Ned
MRI; shows Unoperable liver mets ( 10-15)
6 rounds chemo ( pills changed)
Pet shows 1,4 cm and 1,7 cm mets in liver
MRI shows 5 mets
Planned chemo
Wellcome 2019

Lee

Re: Severe back pain

Postby Lee » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:19 am

I'm wondering if his liver mets are possibly causing his back pain. Have they gown in size recently? Is it possible to get a PET scan?

Do his doctors have any ideas what is causing his pain?

Good luck, back pain is some of the worst.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Educator

Postby Educator » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:41 am

Lee wrote:I'm wondering if his liver mets are possibly causing his back pain. Have they gown in size recently? Is it possible to get a PET scan?

Do his doctors have any ideas what is causing his pain?

Good luck, back pain is some of the worst.

Lee

Thanks Lee

His doctor said chemo can do this or another things. He dindnt talk clearly , ı think. He has problem about back before colon ca. But now his pain very much. Last pet showed little grown.yesterday got mrı and nothing seen .
Caregiver of husband
Chemo 3 rounds vectibix
Pet ;10 mm met in liver
MRI; 1-4 mets in liver
Chemo 3 rounds
Pet ;NED
MRI ;1-5 mets in liver
6 rounds chemo
Pet;Ned
MRI shows 5 mets
Planned chemo
Wellcome 2019

Danielito82

Postby Danielito82 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:16 am

Hi,
I used to have back pain too and at the end came out that it was due to the treatment and constipation ..

Educator

Postby Educator » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Danielito82 wrote:Hi,
I used to have back pain too and at the end came out that it was due to the treatment and constipation ..

Thank you . I hope his pain is due to treatment too. I wonder is your pain very severe ?? Onc gave duragisc pack . This is hard way but we are strong.
Caregiver of husband
Chemo 3 rounds vectibix
Pet ;10 mm met in liver
MRI; 1-4 mets in liver
Chemo 3 rounds
Pet ;NED
MRI ;1-5 mets in liver
6 rounds chemo
Pet;Ned
MRI shows 5 mets
Planned chemo
Wellcome 2019

Danielito82

Postby Danielito82 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:00 am

Yes ...my pain was very severe in the evening but fortunately not everyday.
Always.......walk on .... !!!!

Educator

Postby Educator » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:34 am

Danielito82 wrote:Yes ...my pain was very severe in the evening but fortunately not everyday.
Always.......walk on .... !!!!

Thank you .
Caregiver of husband
Chemo 3 rounds vectibix
Pet ;10 mm met in liver
MRI; 1-4 mets in liver
Chemo 3 rounds
Pet ;NED
MRI ;1-5 mets in liver
6 rounds chemo
Pet;Ned
MRI shows 5 mets
Planned chemo
Wellcome 2019

Butt

Postby Butt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:29 pm

The same here. MRI shows nothing. I am on chemo. They think it is a side effect.

Jolene

Postby Jolene » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:26 am

Educator wrote::? My husband has severe back pain nearly 1 month. Have you got any idea. He got MRI for back and the mrı shows nothing . So why ??? Pls help

I just returned from a meeting with my oncologist and he mentioned that back pain for cancer patients is often the result of a low immune system due to various treatment - radiation, chemo etc.. Apparently a low immune system affects the bone marrow and hence the back pain.

I did a bit of google back home and a number of sites mentioned that the bone marrow is an area where red and white blood cells are produced and if the immune system is affected the bone marrow will be impacted.
Dx @ 39 F on WW managmeent
Nov 18 - Dx of a mid-rectal tumour at T3N1M0 (2cm) 7cm from AV
Dec 18 - CRT, 28 sessions + Capecitabine at 3000mg daily
Jan - Mar - WW in place (12 weeks)
Mar'19 - MRI, PET, sig flex and biopsy ordered to determine being a WW candidate.
Apr - CCR, surgery on hold. 6 cycles of Xelox.
Aug - 6 cycles of Xelox completed
19 - Flex sig, biopsy, PET/MRI
2019 - 2023 - Every 6 mths - Full scope / Flex sig / biopsy, PET / MRI / CT every 6 months
Dec 23 - All clear 5 years on ! Thank god !

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:10 am

I agree with the Tx side effect issue and the bone marrow issue being possible causes of back pain
BUTT don't stop searching for a cause and don't stay in pain.

" Sometimes in life, pain is inevitable ... SUFFERING from it is NOT ! " - CRguy

Another consideration is "posture" and disuse issues. When we are recovering as patients we may not be as active,
or conscious of how we hold our bodies, or keep our bodies in a "protective posture"

These factors can also affect how we feel.

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

cgb13

Postby cgb13 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm currently going through the same thing. For background, I suffered a ruptured disc 3 years ago and had surgery for it - so I'm acutely aware of anything back related. Last week, after taking my son to the zoo, my lower back go progressively more sore throughout the day, to the point where I had difficulty sleeping that night. The lower back pain has gone away for the most part, but I've been left with tingling and numbness in my foot/calf. Only problem is, I also had feet issues from Xeloda, so it's difficult to differentiate between the causes.

From Jan-March, I received daily radiation treatments, which I can tell rather messed up everything located around my hips. Between that, and not doing much actual exercising, everything was tighter than a clam with lockjaw, which probably caused some injury to my lower back. I'm just hoping it's something that can be treated with time and PT, and not surgery again. Although, if I need surgery again, it'd be nice to fast track it and have it done while I'm recovering from my cancer surgery - I can't keep missing work due to my myriad health problems.

Long story short, be sure to stretch out all the hip related muscles. Sitting and inactivity shortens and tightens those muscles, putting a lot of pressure on the spine/lower back.
35yo male - father of 1 (infant)
Dx Stage IIIc - T3N2M0 8/15/18
8 bi weekly FOLFOX treatments done 12/11/18
1/23/19 - 3/1/2019 - Radiation + Xeloda (4,000 mg per day - 4 pills in morning and evening) - 28 days

Jolene

Postby Jolene » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 pm

After 28 sessions of radiation, I felt a lot of tightness in my hip muscles and underneath the thigh. I also experienced some backache though not excruciating it was uncomfortable enough for me to look for help. The radiation doc had no explanation for me except that he is pretty sure it's not bone cancer related. I asked if it's due to muscle inflammation of the radiation, he gave me a "perhaps" shrug and that anything that gets in the way of the beams can get inflammed but seems like I'm the only patient who has raised this issue with him so far. I'm baffled by how is that possible and I'm fairly young at 39 in medical terms.

Long story short, while awaiting for the radiation to take effect over 12 weeks I engaged a personal trainer. I didn't like the way my body was feeling and spelt out all the issue with the trainer with my rectal cancer and radiation situation. I was also preparing my body for a potential surgery procedure at that time and thought I might as well give it my best to get fit at the same time. We worked together to target those problematic aches and 14 weeks later, it seems to be working for me. The hip aches has been greatly reduced and the backpain has gone too.

I was even able to lay still in the MRI machine for 1.5 hour at one point without feeling excruciating which amazes me whereas before the nurses were asking whether I need a wheelchair when I got up from the machine. My bones were breaking after lying down for 1.5 hours in a previous scan.

I am now into my first cycle of Xelox and continue to do some light work out with the trainer. Hopefully it won't make me too crappy as I get into more cycles.

If you are in a position to engaged a personal trainer, I highly recommend that. I had some other muscular disorder ever since I was young and realised that medical doctors are not trained to provide sports science related advise, they would only go as far as to say "don't strain yourself if you feel uncomfortable" which is pretty much useless imo.

Personal trainers on the other hand try to work out the problematic aches I experienced and broke the practice routine down to the tiniest muscles. Personal trainers are trained in sports science and medical doctors are trained in medical science. I found that it helped to put the two and two together to make sense of what's going on with my body.
Dx @ 39 F on WW managmeent
Nov 18 - Dx of a mid-rectal tumour at T3N1M0 (2cm) 7cm from AV
Dec 18 - CRT, 28 sessions + Capecitabine at 3000mg daily
Jan - Mar - WW in place (12 weeks)
Mar'19 - MRI, PET, sig flex and biopsy ordered to determine being a WW candidate.
Apr - CCR, surgery on hold. 6 cycles of Xelox.
Aug - 6 cycles of Xelox completed
19 - Flex sig, biopsy, PET/MRI
2019 - 2023 - Every 6 mths - Full scope / Flex sig / biopsy, PET / MRI / CT every 6 months
Dec 23 - All clear 5 years on ! Thank god !

AppleTree

Postby AppleTree » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:28 am

Shortly after surgery I had very bad back pain. Turned out the pain med I was taking was masking the pain for urinating. My lower back hurt because I had a bladder infection and needed an antibiotic.

Sometimes we jump to the worst conclusions. I totally understand that. But see if you can get a simple urine test to rule out a UTI.

I hope he feels better.
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

Educator

Postby Educator » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Butt wrote:The same here. MRI shows nothing. I am on chemo. They think it is a side effect.

They say it is from infection
Caregiver of husband
Chemo 3 rounds vectibix
Pet ;10 mm met in liver
MRI; 1-4 mets in liver
Chemo 3 rounds
Pet ;NED
MRI ;1-5 mets in liver
6 rounds chemo
Pet;Ned
MRI shows 5 mets
Planned chemo
Wellcome 2019

Educator

Postby Educator » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Jolene wrote:
Educator wrote::? My husband has severe back pain nearly 1 month. Have you got any idea. He got MRI for back and the mrı shows nothing . So why ??? Pls help

I just returned from a meeting with my oncologist and he mentioned that back pain for cancer patients is often the result of a low immune system due to various treatment - radiation, chemo etc.. Apparently a low immune system affects the bone marrow and hence the back pain.

I did a bit of google back home and a number of sites mentioned that the bone marrow is an area where red and white blood cells are produced and if the immune system is affected the bone marrow will be impacted.

Thanks your reply . Yes they didnt find anything. And now its gone but lots of pain start
Caregiver of husband
Chemo 3 rounds vectibix
Pet ;10 mm met in liver
MRI; 1-4 mets in liver
Chemo 3 rounds
Pet ;NED
MRI ;1-5 mets in liver
6 rounds chemo
Pet;Ned
MRI shows 5 mets
Planned chemo
Wellcome 2019

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”