Adenoma Polyp at 20

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lemons

Adenoma Polyp at 20

Postby Lemons » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:17 am

Hello all,

I recently noticed some black flakes in my stool and underwent a colonoscopy. Pathology report was largely positive with nothing seriously abnormal other than hemorrhoids. I did, however, have a medium-sized adenoma polyp. Dr wants me to have another Colonoscopy in 5 years. I understand adenoma polyps are not cancerous but are considered precancerous. From my understanding it seems like as long as I have these polyps removed every 5ish years (assuming they keep growing back) there is not much to worry about. Is this correct reasoning or should I be more worried?

del

Re: Adenoma Polyp at 20

Postby del » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:46 am

Yes, removing polyps is a preventative measure, much like removing suspicious moles to prevent skin cancer. I would push for an earlier scope though, maybe 1-2 years. If nothing is found, you can space them out further. 20 is young to have polyps, so you might have some genetic predisposition to them.
Male, 33 @ dx, stage 1 RC (T1N0M0 mod. diff. 0/29 LNs)
2016-02 - Cancerous polyp removed during colonscopy, 0.5 mm margin
2016-03 - ULAR & TME surgery, temp ileostomy
2016-04 - DVT, pulmonary embolism
2016-11 - Ileostomy reversal
2018-10 - Another DVT & PE
2021 - 5 years of clean scopes/scans/bloods

Lemons

Postby Lemons » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:17 pm

That makes sense. Thank you

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:13 pm

I agree. When I was diagnosed, my brother got checked out, he was fine, not even 1 polyp. However his wife lied to a doctor said she was passing blood, got scoped, they removed a few polyps (she was 42-43). Was told to come back in about 10 years, she decided to only wait 3 years, they scoped her again, and they found polyps. Now they want her to get scoped every 3 yrs.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:21 pm

The U.S guidelines for colonoscopy follow-up intervals are listed here:

https://gi.org/guideline/guidelines-for-colonoscopy-surveillance-after-screening-and-polypectomy-a-consensus-update-by-the-us-multi-society-task-force-on-colorectal-cancer/

According to these guidelines (Table 1), the recommended followup interval in your case would be "5 - 10 years", assuming your adenoma was a tubular adenoma. However, these guidelines are only for patients with "average baseline risk". Your case might be different. Your adenoma might have been a different type, not tubular. Furthermore, you might not have "average baseline risk".

To check on your risk profile, you can read the article below. It gives both "average risk" and "high risk" profiles:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/acs-recommendations.html

Also, your risk profile might be further elevated due to certain life-style risk factors, such as smoking:

https://www.webmd.com/men/news/20031209/what-causes-prevents-colon-polyps

If you are in fact an average baseline risk patient, then this article may me relevant to your case:

https://www.stopcoloncancernow.com/spread-awareness/news/frequency-of-repeat-colonoscopy-in-average-risk-patients

Lemons

Postby Lemons » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:55 pm

All of the responses I’ve received have been tremendously helpful. Thank you all. It sounds like I need to seriously consider having another Colonoscopy within 5 years rather than waiting until I’m 25, especially considering the fact that I have a family history of corectal cancer which I assume ups the risk factor for me.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”