Popcorn

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JimInTally

Re: Popcorn

Postby JimInTally » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 pm

Gaelen:

OK, thanks for that very detailed reply. It sounds like me, I used to buy the 24-bag boxes of Pop Weaver!! Wouldn't you know it would be one of the worst?!!

I haven't bought any more since my colonoscopy. Damn, I hate to give it up, but I guess I have to if I want to correct what's wrong with my digestive tract, assuming popcorn is what's causing the problem.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:24 pm

justsing wrote:The rule of thumb for me -- veteran of three children, well spaced apart and a solid decade of diaper changing -- was that anything that showed up in a diaper essentially unchanged from it's original state was probably not going to do good things to my gut.

Gosh. I guess you cut out fruit pretty quickly then since a lot of seeds pass through you without being digested. Funnily enough, this is a mechanism such plants evolved to enable them to spread as the seed passes through the animal that consumes the fruit and is deposited with a nice parcel of fertiliser in another location.

brienne
Facebook Username: brienne.fisher

Postby brienne » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:29 pm

You already got a lot of responses but I wanted to just add that popcorn is on the list of "no no's" that I got from my ostomy nurse following my surgery. The little husks can cause a lot of damage to the stoma and also obstructions. I used to be a big fan and it's still hard to resist a few pieces now and again when my daughters have it at the movies!
Dx 01/18/07 Stage IIIB Rca at 39
02/07 chemo/rad (xeloda+erbitux)
Resection 07/07
Permanent colostomy
Lung mets 9/08 - thoracotomy 10/08
Presacral met 11/09 - partial sacrectomy 01/10 w/ IORT
FOLFOX, irinotecan/avastin
Currently NED
LIVESTRONG!

In pain

Postby In pain » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:30 am

I never had issues with rectal bleeding. But today, I did and thought that it might be the popcorn I had last night because a friend told me that he had problems with colon cancer and was told not to eat popcorn. I hardly ever eat it. But my family left some microwavable bags of it after their vacation here. Well, sure enough, I was up at 4 AM and after straining to have a bowel movement, it was all bloody. I am very very regular. This confirms it for me that I dont need popcord EVER. Thanks for your posts.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”