Popcorn

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
garbovatwin

Re: Popcorn

Postby garbovatwin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:58 pm

DO NOT EAT MICROWAVE POPCORN.
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

JimInTally

Postby JimInTally » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:01 pm

Yeah, until this week, I had no idea, either, that popcorn (or corn generally) was bad for you. I had a colonoscopy in December 2000 due to unexplained anemia. Turned out to be a case of overuse of AlkaSeltzer that caused a couple of small ulcers in the stomach. They found a few polyps in that exam, but not a single one in this latest exam. I was afraid, beforehand, that they would find a veritable forest of the things, but no, not a one. Remarkable!!!

eitter

Postby eitter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:26 pm

I scanned this topic and I do not recall seeing the mention of the movie "King Corn" has anyone seen it?! I have been looking for a copy. I was told about this movie from someone and that once I watched this movie I would never eat corn again in any form.

But I may have major depression and may never be able to go to a movie again, I have to have my popcorn. I did give it up for the Year I had my Temp Ileo but my permanent Colostomy can handle popcorn much better. I am not sure I can live without my popcorn and may have to try some of the recipes you all have listed.

So I guess the real reason I have not seen the movie is because I know I may stop eating popcorn all together! :) I do make an effort to stay clear of High Fructose Corn Syrup which is the worst thing on the planet for us all!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:28 pm

eitter wrote:I scanned this topic and I do not recall seeing the mention of the movie "King Corn" has anyone seen it?! I have been looking for a copy. I was told about this book from someone and that once I watched this movie I would never eat corn again in any form.

But I may have major depression and may never be able to go to a movie again, I have to have my popcorn. I did give it up for the Year I had my Temp Ileo but my permanent Colostomy can handle popcorn much better. I am not sure I can live without my popcorn and may have to try some of the recipes you all have listed.

So I guess the real reason I have not seen the movie is because I know I may stop eating popcorn all together! :) I do make an effort to stay clear of High Fructose Corn Syrup which is the worst thing on the planet for us all!

I believe I saw it on one of the learning channels on cable here a year or so ago, but I don't remember a lot about it; I wasn't particularly focused on corn as a bad thing at that point.

gofisch

Postby gofisch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:31 am

Interesting... I've been having a lot of pain and I'm trying to figure out what is causing it. It feels like it might be a partial blockage or something--comes and goes and can be REALLY painful. And a few of the episodes have followed ingestion of tortilla chips. fascinating!!!
Frances
47, Mom
Rectal tumor (stage III) 1/31/08
6 weeks radiation/5Fu
LAR w/ loop ileo May/08
Folfox 7/08-1/09
Done with chemo 1/2/09!!!
Reversal 10/8/09, ileus, blockage, resection, home after 30 days!
4 years NED!

whisper2ascream

Postby whisper2ascream » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:14 am

I'd have popcorn off and on. For a while I got tired of it, and then recently started having it a little. Usually at the movies. But when the doctors thought I had IBS (of course this was when they were still testing everything under the sun on me to determine my 'digestive issues' and were not yet aware of the tumor), I gave up popcorn, and of course haven't eaten any with the surgery recovery. I think I've pretty much had to lay off on it. I will eat cooked corn on occasion, I've just made a point to eat more slowly.
Age 31, Dx Stage IIA colorectal cancer 12/09
Colon resection surgery 12/09
Folfox started 3/1/10, Eloxtin (Oxaliplatin) stopped 7th round. 5-Fu and Leuco to the end.

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:52 am

pjpeace wrote:ok now...stop the corn bashing...it's still a veggie...

Corn is a 'veggie' only in the game animal-vegetable-mineral - in the sense that it's neither of the other two things. However, just because corn is neither animal nor mineral in a child's game doesn't make it a true vegetable. Corn is actually a seed, which when planted produces a grain. Push come to shove, ketchup is closer to being a vegetable than corn!

it's when it gets the ba-gee-bas processed out of it it's bad. also, was the sweet potato still good for you before you put all the sugar and butter on it?

Processing does a disservice to most things. ;)

of course my niece learned in her nutrition class the teacher said it was something like 'a tooth brush for your colon'.

The last thing the colon needs is a tooth brush. ;) That's the kind of advice that promotes eating habits which end up with leaky gut syndrome: http://www.crohns.net/Miva/education/leakygut.shtml

just like anything else...all in moderation.

I know that discussions about food often turn into alarmist extremist things, and that's not my intent - but the problem with 'all in moderation' is that:
1 -- there are truly certain things which NO one should eat (conventional microwave popcorn has more of the worst kinds of fats in one place than a steak, or a Lindt truffle!)
2 -- there are certain people who can't eat individual things AT ALL - for them the only healthy version of 'moderation' is zero consumption. For people with 'leaky gut,' grain consumption is the worst possible thing they can eat.
And at the start of the day, the end of the day, and in the middle - corn is a grain.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:36 am

Gaelen wrote:And at the start of the day, the end of the day, and in the middle - corn is a grain.

A search on "corn vegetable" gives a few references that agree with you, but most seem to classify sweet corn as a vegetable rather than a grain. Wikipedia's entry on sweet corn, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_corn, says it is "eaten as a vegetable, rather than a grain". The question was debated in the NY state senate: http://empirezone.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/11/corn-vegetable-fruit-or-grain/.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:51 am

PGLGreg wrote:The question was debated in the NY state senate: http://empirezone.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/11/corn-vegetable-fruit-or-grain/.

The botanist quoted in the article confirmed that corn is a grain - and the senate vote confirmed, to paraphrase Alton Brown, that 'there are no nutritional anthropologists in the NY state senate.' :roll:
Last edited by Gaelen on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
4/12 stopped treatment

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Gaelen wrote:a Lindt truffle!)

Gaelen, anything but a truffle!..We have to keep them in our diet.

Maybe corn is a vegetable like a tomato is characterized as a vegetable, or wild rice is considered rice (it's not a real rice).

Years ago I did ask my onc about popcorn, and he said he did not see a problem with it. We did not discuss whether it was regular or microwave. He did say if I had diverticulitis, it would be an issue.
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:57 pm

edinaman wrote:Maybe corn is a vegetable like a tomato is characterized as a vegetable, or wild rice is considered rice (it's not a real rice). Years ago I did ask my onc about popcorn, and he said he did not see a problem with it. We did not discuss whether it was regular or microwave. He did say if I had diverticulitis, it would be an issue.

Y'know, just because people treat a type of food as a vegetable doesn't make it one. We can call leftover pumpkin pie breakfast, but just doing that doesn't make it a protein. ;) People used to think tomatoes were poisonous - didn't make that true, either. In other words, just because a food lobby would like people to treat corn (or ketchup) as a vegetable doesn't make that ingredient a vegetable.

As for my comment about the microwave popcorn - conventionally packaged microwave popcorn is popcorn seeds in a bag with a solidified mix of trans-fat containing oils. That gunky oily sodium-laden mass is some of the worst stuff you can put in your body. I used to buy special microwave bags in which I microwaved dry popcorn seeds that I bought in a jar without any added oil. After popping, I added melted butter.
Lindt truffles are, IMO, their own special food group. ;)

Corn, sweet or otherwise, and popcorn, are seeds from a grain. Not vegetables. Not even close.
4/12 stopped treatment

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:15 pm

Gaelen wrote:Y'know, just because people treat a type of food as a vegetable doesn't make it one.

No, I don't know that. The usage of a term is determined by how the term is used. Nothing besides how people treat a type of food terminologically could possibly be relevant to how the term "vegetable" is applied. If you think there is some scientific theory or principle other than word usage that could settle such a question, you should tell us what that is.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

JimInTally

Postby JimInTally » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Gaelen wrote:
As for my comment about the microwave popcorn - conventionally packaged microwave popcorn is popcorn seeds in a bag with a solidified mix of trans-fat containing oils. That gunky oily sodium-laden mass is some of the worst stuff you can put in your body. I used to buy special microwave bags in which I microwaved dry popcorn seeds that I bought in a jar without any added oil. After popping, I added melted butter.
Lindt truffles are, IMO, their own special food group. ;)

Corn, sweet or otherwise, and popcorn, are seeds from a grain. Not vegetables. Not even close.

What, specifically, is it about microwave popcorn that makes it "the worst stuff you can put in your body."?

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:20 pm

I just ate an entire bag of "hulless popcorn" from amishcountrypopcorn.com all by myself. Not a singlt shard of hull caught in my mouth - and I have horrible dental issues. Don't know how much easier this will be on the GI system, but I thought it was worth a try!
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:57 pm

JimInTally wrote:What, specifically, is it about microwave popcorn that makes it "the worst stuff you can put in your body."?

Jim what I said is that 'conventionally packaged microwave popcorn is popcorn seeds in a bag with a solidified mix of trans-fat containing oils. That gunky oil sodium-laden mass is some of the worst stuff you can put in your body.'

I wasn't talking about organically grown, no-oil-added (or add it yourself after popping) top-of-the-line microwave popcorn, which is still a lot of carbs to take in at once and totally wrong if you have corn sensitivities, gluten allergies, or leaky gut syndrome. I'm talking about the kind of microwave popcorn in the 3-bags-for-a-buck blue box, the kind with fake 'butter' flavoring, the kind in the vending machines, in the discount stores - as an example, PopSecret Butter Flavor Movie Popcorn: http://www.buythecase.net/product/25214 ... googlebase

The reason the gunky mass is no good for you are the less-than-healthy ingredients (underlined) right on the label:
INGREDIENTS: WHOLE GRAIN POPCORN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, COLOR ADDED, NONFAT MILK. FRESHNESS PRESERVED BY PROPYL GALLATE AND CITRIC ACID. CONTAINS MILK INGREDIENTS.

Partially hydrogenated soybean (or any other kind of partially hydrogenated oil, with the exception of virgin expeller pressed coconut oil, which is hydrogentated but not partially) contains trans-fats - which are truly not good in any consumption level for anyone. Add in the sodium, the preservatives, the artificial flavorings and colorings - given the choice between conventionally packaged microwave popcorn and nearly anything else, I'd ask for option B. YMMV.
4/12 stopped treatment

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”