Hemicolectomy recovery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LondonM

Hemicolectomy recovery

Postby LondonM » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Dear all,

I had emergency small bowel resection in 2015, then in October 2018 had a right hemicolectomy. This was also emergency surgery, as adhesions had cut off the blood supply to some of the intestines which were necrotic.

Four months later I'm still incredibly tired, and taking loperamide 4x a day, sometimes 5. Also mebeverine 3x daily.

I've read that alcohol can increase the fatigue caused as a side effect of loperamide, whilst I don't drink much I'm stopping for a bit to see if that helps.

I've heard that it can take 18-24 months for the body to recalibrate to a shorter colon.

It would be lovely to hear from people who are further on than I am: did you get to a point eventually where you did not need loperamide?

Thank you

LondonM

Re: Hemicolectomy recovery

Postby LondonM » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:01 pm

I forgot to say that 2015 surgery was for Meckel's diverticulitis. I know that this forum is for colon cancer, but it seems to be the only place online that hemicolectomy is being discussed. Would appreciate any thoughts re the original post.

Stewsbetty

Postby Stewsbetty » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am

I don’t think I will be super helpful but I had a right hemicolectomy in June 2016. I used a lot of loperamide during my chemo (finished February 2017) but since finishing chemo haven’t found a real need for it.

The only real change I have found is a need to avoid a really fatty rich meal. This can cause cramping for me. I see fluctuations in my bowel habits throughout my hormonal cycle but nothing that requires consistent use of either anti diarrheals or laxatives. I had about 12 inches from the caecum on removed. Not a drinker either so no experience there.

Hope you get some good information and relief for your system.

Beth
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

LondonM

Postby LondonM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Hey Beth,

Thanks for the reply, I had a metre total removed including the ileocecal valve and the ascending colon. Hopefully the need for loperamide will ease away.

I seem a bit less tolerant to large or very spicy meals, and changes of routine.

Thanks again,

Mark

LondonM

Postby LondonM » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Dear all,

Just wondering if anyone else took loperamide after hemicolectomy and how long it was needed for? Realised today that it's nearly 5 months since surgery and I'm still on 4 or 5 per day...

Thank you for reading :)

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:50 pm

London:
That you have removal of the ileocecal valve may be contributing to your continued use and reliance on loperamide.

The ileocecal valve serves to prevent reverse back-flow of digestive contents from the large intestine to the small intestine. It is a one way valve whose function is important in overall intestinal well-being.

Without the valve, you are more susceptible to backflow of irritating digestive enzymes as well as disruption of the normal bacterial flora. The bacterial flora of the small intestine is different than the bacterial flora of the large intestine.

You may want to try a Viobiom VSL-3, which is a medical grade probiotic. VSL-3 was available by prescription only until about a year ago and is now available at speciality pharmacies and even Amazon.com. VSL-3 is known for its benefits for treating Chron’s and ulcerative colitis and is superior to the majority of probiotics available. Bacterial flora that is unbalanced can be a source of post-operative distress when an intestinal resection includes the ileocecal valve. 3-4 months on VSL-3 would give you information if bacterial flora disruption is one component of your intestinal unease.

I use VSL-3, myself, to good effect. I order mine through Amazon and it arrives in a cold pack.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

LondonM

Postby LondonM » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks Karen

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”