ESD (Endoscopic submucosal dissection) Anyone??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
gwvet91
Facebook Username: bulldog67

ESD (Endoscopic submucosal dissection) Anyone??

Postby gwvet91 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:04 pm

Hello,
Just got my first colonoscopy on Tuesday (51 yrs old). They found a 4cm polyp that is "wrapped around" the cecaliliac junction. The doctor told me to make a consult with a colorectal surgeon as soon as possible to get a resection. No results from the biopsy yet. I found two doctors that perform ESD at Brigham and Women's and Johns Hopkins. The last time I had surgery for a small bowel obstruction 10 years ago, I was in the hospital for 2 weeks since my bowels would not "wake up" from the shock of surgery, light, air etc... I don't want surgery again if ESD is an option. Anyone familiar with this?

CRguy

Re: ESD (Endoscopic submucosal dissection) Anyone??

Postby CRguy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Just bumping up here with a forum search for ESD related posts from the past
hoping others can chime in with first hand info

Endoscopic+submucosal+dissection

best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Sometimes life is not that simple.

First I got my "polyp" removed through colonoscopy (I was out of work for a day without any noticeable aftereffect).
Then I got laparoscopic hemicolectomy because margins were not clear enough (I was out of work for 5 weeks with all expected consequences of removal of ileo-secal valve).
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

ozziej

Postby ozziej » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:03 am

I had an endoscopic mucosal resection after a large flat polyp (that was supposedly benign) was found during a colonoscopy. Unfortunately, although the polyp was succesfully removed, the second biopsy identified adenocarcinoma so I was referred to a colorectal surgeon and went on to have a ULAR. I declined watch and wait as i was staged at stage 1 so no chemo/radiation offered. It was too much of a risk for me. However, if I knew then what I know now, I would have pushed for chemoradiation after the EMR in an attempt to avoid the ULAR and subsequent Low anterior resection syndrome (LARS) that I now have.
My understanding is that several of the newer full thickness endoscopic procedures such as ESD aim to combine the advantages of EMR with the oncological efficacy of LAR/ULAR. However, I would still be asking for chemoradiation and close surveillance post ESD.
Best wishes for whichever route you take.
F 56 dx 11/14 Stage 1 RC (post EMR)
No neo-adjuvant or adjuvant chemo/RD
3/15 ULAR (open) temp loop ileo
5/15 ileo reversal
NED and hoping to stay that way!! : )

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”