Post Colectomy gas

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Schwarde
Facebook Username: Debbie Schwartzentruber

Post Colectomy gas

Postby Schwarde » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:18 pm

I searched for others online who were experiencing ongoing foul gas and small stools post colectomy - there were some older posts re using probiotics. I researched that in depth and started eating good pre and probiotics and specifically drink some kefir every day. For me I think the Kefir is making a world of difference and the ongoing diet changes are also significant and contribute to long term health. See the book by Dr David Perlmutter called Brain Maker - he is a neurologist who writes in depth re the microbiome and its possible links to many immune and autoimmune disorders including touching on colon cancer. IF you are wondering why a neurologist is writing about this its because he has studied how the brain is affected by gut health and via this, has come to a firm belief that it affects our entire health along with other emerging research that supports this as well.
I have done some digging on research papers on line and found some that indicate that both the colectomy surgery and the post surgery chemo are detrimental to the microbiome as are the antiobiotics you were likely given. it is essential to get your good flora back. There are some people who have used probiotic enemas to make a big difference and as you may be aware fecal implants are being used for more and more microbiome situations like C-difficile. I am asking my dr this week about the enemas as I want to get my colon back in top notch health. Right now I am finished up chemo and cancer free after stage three so hoping to keep it that way.
If anyone else tries the kefir etc I would be very interested in hearing if it helped you.

Beckster

Re: Post Colectomy gas

Postby Beckster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Schwarde wrote:I searched for others online who were experiencing ongoing foul gas and small stools post colectomy - there were some older posts re using probiotics. I researched that in depth and started eating good pre and probiotics and specifically drink some kefir every day. For me I think the Kefir is making a world of difference and the ongoing diet changes are also significant and contribute to long term health. See the book by Dr David Perlmutter called Brain Maker - he is a neurologist who writes in depth re the microbiome and its possible links to many immune and autoimmune disorders including touching on colon cancer. IF you are wondering why a neurologist is writing about this its because he has studied how the brain is affected by gut health and via this, has come to a firm belief that it affects our entire health along with other emerging research that supports this as well.
I have done some digging on research papers on line and found some that indicate that both the colectomy surgery and the post surgery chemo are detrimental to the microbiome as are the antiobiotics you were likely given. it is essential to get your good flora back. There are some people who have used probiotic enemas to make a big difference and as you may be aware fecal implants are being used for more and more microbiome situations like C-difficile. I am asking my dr this week about the enemas as I want to get my colon back in top notch health. Right now I am finished up chemo and cancer free after stage three so hoping to keep it that way.
If anyone else tries the kefir etc I would be very interested in hearing if it helped you.

A little more info might help....how long ago did you have your colectomy? Are you on chemo? I had fould smelling gas after surgery and on Xeloda :oops: ...and had gas all the time. Even after the chemo, depending on what I eat....gas :shock: The odor did demish as time when on, but I still toot!
57/F
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
Surgical margins: clear
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda
6/17,12/17,6/18,12/18,6/19,12/19,12/20,12/21 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1 9/19 2.6 12/19 2.8 6/20 3.0 12/20 2.7 6/21 2.9,[color=#000000]12/21 2.7[/color]
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17, 11/19,11/21 :D

Schwarde
Facebook Username: Debbie Schwartzentruber

Re: Post Colectomy gas

Postby Schwarde » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 pm

My surgery was last June (stage 3B) and then I started chemo in August. I found ever since my surgery that I just had a real issue with this especially after evening meal. The drs (surgeon or oncologist) had no answers. I tried cutting out gassy foods etc and there seemed to be no sense to when or why I would have a bad evening (which was most of the time). After reading in depth about the microbiome I am convinced that eating many of the things that give us gas are actually essential to a healthy gut. Onions, kale, broccoli, garlic, sauerkraut are all so good for the microbiome and its not until we get the proper balance of good bacteria back in there that we will experience normal bowel movements and normal gas. In fact I just read on line about a dr who gave someone a major does of antibiotics for this problem - which kills off both the good and bad bacteria and worked in the short term I am sure. But the flora is completely unbalanced again and the issues would return and likely worse from what I have read. The supporters of regulating the microbiome feel we need both prebiotics - fiber, onions etc and then good probiotics which feed on the prebiotics and grow healthy flora (which is all messed up from surgery, chemo and antibiotics - this is well documented). They feel we need something that is fermented every day (kefir, sauerkraut etc). SO far so good for me and if I stop the kefir I have the problem again but I intend to follow this diet which is pretty easy - tons of vegetables, something fermented every day, nothing processed and many are against wheat too ( I am working on that - its hard). There is alot of emerging science on the microbiome and its pretty interesting. I lived a healthy lifestyle before - eating quite healthy, exercising etc but I think that stress (I had tremendous ongoing stress at work for last ten years I worked) and sugar (which I did not over do but liked to bake etc) had a lot to do with inflammation of my colon and then over years the development of cancer. At any rate right now I am doing very well and have every intention of keeping it that way but i did want to share this as I saw on line that many were struggling with it and there were those who touched on probiotics - eating them is to be more effective than taking the pills (I do both) but kefir is simple and anyone can do it and I really think it s the most effective as it relates to this specific issue - at least it is for me and I am interested to see if others try it and find the same. Have a lovely day!!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”