New member here - CT scan has me worried

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sumfoo

New member here - CT scan has me worried

Postby sumfoo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Hello, I had a CT scan for a kidney cyst on 1-10-2019 that also mentioned that I have "marked fecal retention colon, particularly cecum measuring about 7.3 cm in diameter. Normal appendix." I am a relatively heathly 60 y/o male, 6 ft, 160 lbs.

The kidney situation is not serious at this time, but I'm worried about the colon and cecum comment. The doctor said that he would recommend a stool softener, and then he got distracted and I ended up leaving the office without addressing this any further with him. He didn't immediately give me a gastro referral, and I'm not feeling terribly "sick", except that now I am very anxious that this could be more than just "fecal retention".

For that past week I have been taking double doses of stool softeners (ducosate), and double doses of Miralax or dulcolax. Today, I am doing a colon clean out with Miralax and dulcolax based on the recipe for a colonoscopy prep. I don't know what else to do. I will see the doctor again in three days and ask him to refer me to a gastro doc. My anxiety is going off the chart about this now.

My questions for anybody here are: Would the CT scan report be able to identify a more serious issue than what was described above, or were those findings about as definitive as could be determined from that type of scan? I have more questions, plenty more, but I just can't even formulate them or type them out at this time.

I'll see if there are any responses to this post before I continue. Thanks for reading, and thanks for any responses.

Lee

Re: New member here - CT scan has me worried

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi and welcome,

Have you ever had a colonoscopy in the past? If so when. If not, you probably should get one as they recommend starting by age 50.

My understanding, a colonoscopy would give you a true diagnoses if anything is going on. I don't know enough about CT scan to give you a direct answer to your question. Hopefully someone more experience can answer your question.

Please avoid Dr. Google. Some info out there is out of date or flat out wrong. As any and all questions here.

good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

del

Postby del » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Generally no, a CT would not detect colon cancer, at least not in the early stages. The only way to reliably detect colon cancer is with a colonoscopy. Did the radiologist suggest any further investigation in their report? Usually they would if there was anything concerning.

I have had lots of scans and a few of them have noted "fecal loading" in my colon, which is nothing to do with cancer. I don't think it is anything to worry about, but you should speak to your doctor about getting a colonoscopy if you're concerned.
Male, 33 @ dx, stage 1 RC (T1N0M0 mod. diff. 0/29 LNs)
2016-02 - Cancerous polyp removed during colonscopy, 0.5 mm margin
2016-03 - ULAR & TME surgery, temp ileostomy
2016-04 - DVT, pulmonary embolism
2016-11 - Ileostomy reversal
2018-10 - Another DVT & PE
2021 - 5 years of clean scopes/scans/bloods

texmexflute

Postby texmexflute » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:25 pm

I second the "get a colonoscopy" reply. I didn't get one until I was 63 and they found a big cancer! And I hadn't had any symptoms other than bloodwork that said I was anemic.

Also, CT scans are weird. They seem to always show strange things going on in our bodies! Other than liver mets, I found out that I have evidence of 3 broken ribs (didn't know), a right diaphragmatic hernia, a multitude of granulomas in my lungs, hemangioma on my spleen, something going on with pancreas, and various hernias. None of these things are causing actual problems, but who would have known?! Every scan is an adventure in living!
62 yo Male (polio survivor) DX 2-2018
2-18 right hemi-colectomy (robotic/minimally invasive)
Stage 3b - T4N1Mx
3-18 thru 8-18 xeloda
9-18 scans indicate 4 liver mets
and possibly in omentum/peritoneum
Upgraded to stage 4
9-18 thru 11-18 4 rounds Folfiri + Avastin, 2 rounds Folfiri only
12-26-18 3 liver mets removed (robotic/minimally invasive) + omentum biopsy (no cancer)
1-19 SBRT remaining 2 liver mets that were hard to reach
2-19 begin 6 rounds of mop-up chemo but folfox this time

del

Postby del » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 pm

texmexflute wrote:Also, CT scans are weird. They seem to always show strange things going on in our bodies!

Totally agree. I was quite worried after my few first scans due to some of the "incidental" findings. Radiologists are very thorough and note everything they find, even if it's irrelevant. But the most important findings should be noted in the summary at the end of the report. If nothing is mentioned there, I don't stress about it.
Male, 33 @ dx, stage 1 RC (T1N0M0 mod. diff. 0/29 LNs)
2016-02 - Cancerous polyp removed during colonscopy, 0.5 mm margin
2016-03 - ULAR & TME surgery, temp ileostomy
2016-04 - DVT, pulmonary embolism
2016-11 - Ileostomy reversal
2018-10 - Another DVT & PE
2021 - 5 years of clean scopes/scans/bloods

sumfoo

Postby sumfoo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 am

Thank you all for the replies. I will press my doctor to get me a referral for a colonoscopy.

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Well, my cancer was detected by a CT at the hospital. They were looking for appendicitis, they found a blockage and colon cancer, as well as suspicious nodes. On the other hand, I was stage IV. The CT did not see my tiny liver met, though. The surgeon found that.

I think a colonoscopy is a good idea as a precaution.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable