First colonoscopy so what do I ask and expect

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Melissa2972
Facebook Username: MelissaHuffman

First colonoscopy so what do I ask and expect

Postby Melissa2972 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 pm

I went to my family doctor in July 2018 and told him I was have issues of large blood clots and mucus in my bowels and they weren’t my normal bowel movements. Not contstipated but feeling like I have to go yet not really productive. I was 30 weeks pregnant with baby #14 so though he thought I should have a colonoscopy he offered the Colorguard (poop in a bucket he called it) but insurance refused after two appeals to pay the $600. because I was 45. They only cover it at 50 and above. So I waited until I had the baby 11/15/2018 and decided to see if symptoms stopped but they didn’t and my OB said wait until six weeks post partum to see if I ho back to normal. Well I didn’t and now I am at 12 weeks post partum and told my doctor I guess I should have the colonoscopy since I have added horrible gas to the symptoms I already have. I haven’t noticed the bleeding the last two days but mostly everyday I have blood and no pain. I want to assume it is hemorrhoids but I never had any pain or blood before or any issue about hemorrhoids. So the test has been scheduled for 2/16/2019 at 6:30pm. My kids have a basketball tournament and I am debating about rescheduling. How much discomfort is the preparation for the test and has it affected nursing a baby for anyone and what does the recovery look like. Back to normal the next day? And how does my list of symptoms sound?

O Stoma Mia

First colonoscopy tips

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:55 am

hiker

Re: First colonoscopy so what do I ask and expect

Postby hiker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:07 am

Hey Melissa,

First, I'm a man so I have no clue how it affects breastfeeding. I can tell you it's no big deal. You go to sleep, it's over and you're out the door in about an hour. You will be groggy for a while and can't drive that day so someone will need to take you home. You should be fine the next day.

Second, is that a typo? Baby number 14! :shock: My wife had 3 and we were thinking maybe 4, but 14????

hiker
Colonoscopy 2/17, 5cm tumor descending
Diagnosed stage iv, liver mets 3/17
Colon resection 3/17
Told surgery not an option, get my affairs in order
Meet w/MSK team 5/01/17
Folfox(3rds) 5/17-6/17
Liver resection/implant HAI pump 7/17
HAI pump chemo(5rds) 8/17-2/18
Folfiri+Vectibix(11rds) 8/17-2/18
Spot on chest CT 10/17
Lung biopsy (that was fun) 11/17
Nocardia bacterial infection w/spread to brain (this is serious) 11/17
IV antibiotics 12/17-2/18
Oral antibiotics 3/18-12/18
Clear of cancer since surgery

erins

Postby erins » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Definitely don’t cancel—your kids will have more basketball tournaments. They’ve only got one mom. You owe it to them to be proactive about your health, not only to be there for many years to come, but also as an example to them that being healthy is a priority.

You should ask about the breastfeeding—even if it’s ok you may want to have some formula in hand just in case. I found the prep was annoying more than anything—you may want to have a friend/family member there to help keep the kiddos in line while you’re, ahem, cleaning out.

I was back to normal the next day (tho really, really hungry)

Good luck!!
38 yr old female
Rectal bleeding for 1 month—>
5/4/18 colonoscopy found mass in sigmoid colon
5/21/18 LAR
stage 2a, 0/17 lymph, clean margins
T3N0M0 G1
LVI neg, PNI neg, MSS
9/21/18 CEA 0.8
11/16/18 CEA 0.8 & CT clear
12/7/18 iron infusion
2/1/18 iron improved, CEA stable.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:42 am

I'm sorry you're going through this!*hugs* I wouldn't cancel your colonoscopy. The worst part is the prep. It helps me to keep the prep cold and to chase it with another drink due to the horrible taste. You will have to remain near a bathroom during prep because you will be in there a lot. Maybe you could pump and put your breast milk into bottles so you will have time to get to the bathroom. During the colonoscopy they give you medication so you won't feel pain nor remember. If your doctor takes biopsies during the colonoscopy you may have more bleeding. Good luck!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Melissa2972

Postby Melissa2972 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 pm

:D
hiker wrote:Hey Melissa,

First, I'm a man so I have no clue how it affects breastfeeding. I can tell you it's no big deal. You go to sleep, it's over and you're out the door in about an hour. You will be groggy for a while and can't drive that day so someone will need to take you home. You should be fine the next day.

Second, is that a typo? Baby number 14! :shock: My wife had 3 and we were thinking maybe 4, but 14????

hiker

14 is correct. Thanks for the information!

Melissa2972

Postby Melissa2972 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:58 pm

DarknessEmbraced wrote:I'm sorry you're going through this!*hugs* I wouldn't cancel your colonoscopy. The worst part is the prep. It helps me to keep the prep cold and to chase it with another drink due to the horrible taste. You will have to remain near a bathroom during prep because you will be in there a lot. Maybe you could pump and put your breast milk into bottles so you will have time to get to the bathroom. During the colonoscopy they give you medication so you won't feel pain nor remember. If your doctor takes biopsies during the colonoscopy you may have more bleeding. Good luck!

Thank you! I will pump and have some milk ready. I should have thought of that but I never use bottles so I will be ready if I need them. Melissa2972

Melissa2972

Postby Melissa2972 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:01 am

Thank you for the replies. I am not good at navigating on here and I apologize. I think I will start a new topic about breastfeeding and the prep for a colonoscopy as it might have been buried in my post and not easily picked ilup that I really hope to have someone’s experience to go on. Thank you, Melissa2972

Punky44

Postby Punky44 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:38 am

Melissa,

I called Infant Risk and gave them the info of my prep and sedation medicine (Propofol). They told me that the prep stays in the gastro track and not much gets into your milk. They told me I could pump and/or wait a few hours after the procedure for Propofol to be out of my system. I played it safe and just pumped/dumped the rest of the day after my procedure and then resumed BFing the next day. It had no effect on my supply.
Caregiver to my amazing mom (68 at dx)
10/1/18 DX with rectal cancer; CEA 17
T3N2M0
Total neoadjuvant therapy:
8 rounds Folfox 11/5/18 - 2/11/19
Short course radiation 3/14/19 - 3/20/19
Robotically assisted laparoscopic LAR 3/21/19
Pathology report says yT2N0M0 with 0/38 nodes
6/28/19 Reversal and port out
CEA 2.1; 1.9; 2.6; 2.8; 2.3; 2.4; 3.0; 3.4; 3.1; 3.4; 3.0; 3.1; 2.6
Latest update: 8/21/23 Clear CT with CEA 2.6!

Me: 34, first colonoscopy 11/16/18—normal! Come back in 5 years.

Melissa2972

Postby Melissa2972 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 am

The doctor’s office called and actually I am only having a consult on Saturday with the Gastrointrologist. Based on that appointment he will advise me what is next the nurse explained. And if I preferred not to be sedated I could stay awake. I prefer to stay awake. Any advice from those that know what that is like would be appreciated.
Melissa2972

mobrouser

Postby mobrouser » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Melissa2972 wrote:The doctor’s office called and actually I am only having a consult on Saturday with the Gastrointrologist. Based on that appointment he will advise me what is next the nurse explained. And if I preferred not to be sedated I could stay awake. I prefer to stay awake. Any advice from those that know what that is like would be appreciated.
Melissa2972

Melissa, I had my first colonoscopy without sedation. Other than some very slight discomfort with the insertion and removal of the scope due to hemorrhoids I did not have an issue.
I was able to watch the screen throughout and saw my tumour. The procedure was done in hospital and led to my diagnosis. It was not anything that made me want to cringe other than having my ass exposed to 2 strangers, but you kind of get used to that after childbirth....

A year later, and I have had my second colonoscopy following my surgery and chemo. I wrote about the prep for it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61239&p=485418#p484667

I told my surgeon that I did not want to be sedated for the second one at my 1 year follow up appointment with her. She was hesitant at the time and said I should wait until procedure day to decide. I wanted to see the surgical site, to see where the intestines had been sewn back together. I made the mistake of allowing an IV to be inserted in my arm ("It's just in case you need it" I was told) prior to entering the procedure room and ended up being fully sedated. I was extremely disappointed with that. I was awake for about the last minute and watched. Next time I will reject the IV.

These two videos might be helpful, the first is Katie Couric and her procedure, the second is her convincing a co-worker to have one done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adMfyB-eHoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLAPQdlXgdU&t=29s

All the best on yours.

8) mob
CC Dx 102017 age 58
Lap. right hemi-colectomy Dec 2017
Adenocarcinoma ascending colon – 6cm x 6cm x 2cm, Low Grade, penetrates to peritoneum
T4a N2a M0, Stage IIIC
lymph nodes 6 positive out of 18
FOLFOX start Jan/18 end Aug/8 (felt like a year)
CEA - 01/15/18-2.8; 07/29/18-5.3; 09/19-2.4; 03/20-2.7; 09/20-2.9
CT scan 08/18 - Clear; 10/19 - Clear; * 10/20 - 8mm & 6mm nodules in liver
PET scan 09/18 (thought about bringing the cat :wink: ) - Clear
Colonoscopy Dec 7 2018 - Clear - Next in 3 years?

gwvet91
Facebook Username: bulldog67

Postby gwvet91 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Had my first colonoscopy on Tuesday. Make sure you are completely "cleaned out". I am a pharmacist so I made my own concoction. I bought two 1 liter bottles of grape Brand Name Pedialyte solution and mixed the 238 grams of Miralax (PEG) in an empty gallon jug. I also bought a bottle of infant gas drops (simethicone) and put 10 mLs of that into the solution. I left the solution in the snow outside until I started and the taste was not bad at all. I was able to complete everything.

Make sure you talk to to the Doctor before your procedure to explain all of your concerns. You'll wake up and and it will be all over.

Good Luck!

Melissa2972

Postby Melissa2972 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:31 am

mobrouser wrote:
Melissa2972 wrote:The doctor’s office called and actually I am only having a consult on Saturday with the Gastrointrologist. Based on that appointment he will advise me what is next the nurse explained. And if I preferred not to be sedated I could stay awake. I prefer to stay awake. Any advice from those that know what that is like would be appreciated.
Melissa2972

Melissa, I had my first colonoscopy without sedation. Other than some very slight discomfort with the insertion and removal of the scope due to hemorrhoids I did not have an issue.
I was able to watch the screen throughout and saw my tumour. The procedure was done in hospital and led to my diagnosis. It was not anything that made me want to cringe other than having my ass exposed to 2 strangers, but you kind of get used to that after childbirth....

A year later, and I have had my second colonoscopy following my surgery and chemo. I wrote about the prep for it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61239&p=485418#p484667

I told my surgeon that I did not want to be sedated for the second one at my 1 year follow up appointment with her. She was hesitant at the time and said I should wait until procedure day to decide. I wanted to see the surgical site, to see where the intestines had been sewn back together. I made the mistake of allowing an IV to be inserted in my arm ("It's just in case you need it" I was told) prior to entering the procedure room and ended up being fully sedated. I was extremely disappointed with that. I was awake for about the last minute and watched. Next time I will reject the IV.

These two videos might be helpful, the first is Katie Couric and her procedure, the second is her convincing a co-worker to have one done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adMfyB-eHoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLAPQdlXgdU&t=29s

All the best on yours.

8) mob

Thank you! I had my consult and I am scheduled for it next Tuesday 2/26/2019. I plan on staying awake but he insists on the iV just in case. I hope I can handle it without that temptation. He said if anyone can do it I can as I have 14 babies without pain meds. Lol. Anyways, I am nervous but want to stay awake because I don’t like drugs that put you out for myself ormy nursing baby but also I want to know if anything is wrong first after the doctor. Is that strange?
Melissa2972

Punky44

Postby Punky44 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Melissa, can you find out what sedation med will be used? Then you can call Infant Risk, the leader in medications and breastfeeding for advice. I was given Propofol and was told I would be able to nurse shortly thereafter. Also the second I woke up from the procedure I was immediately “with it” and blurted out “did they find anything?!” It’s really only a 20-30 minute long ordeal in total.
Caregiver to my amazing mom (68 at dx)
10/1/18 DX with rectal cancer; CEA 17
T3N2M0
Total neoadjuvant therapy:
8 rounds Folfox 11/5/18 - 2/11/19
Short course radiation 3/14/19 - 3/20/19
Robotically assisted laparoscopic LAR 3/21/19
Pathology report says yT2N0M0 with 0/38 nodes
6/28/19 Reversal and port out
CEA 2.1; 1.9; 2.6; 2.8; 2.3; 2.4; 3.0; 3.4; 3.1; 3.4; 3.0; 3.1; 2.6
Latest update: 8/21/23 Clear CT with CEA 2.6!

Me: 34, first colonoscopy 11/16/18—normal! Come back in 5 years.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”