Coffee...yes or no?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jolene

Re: Coffee...yes or no?

Postby Jolene » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:21 am

When I was diagnosed, the first few things I asked was what I should or should not eat, all three doctors - the primary colorectal doc, the oncologist and the radiation oncologist all said NOTHING THAT WE CANNOT EAT. Phew ! :lol:

Except during my capcitabine intake, oncologist advised not to take grapefruit as there have been research that says it doesn't work well with chemo drugs and that's about it. I can totally live with that ! :lol:

I was also advised not to take too much fiber during my pelvic radiation due an irritated rectum but that was just temporary.

Maybe a thread on food intake could be created to discuss this further !

I have not gone through the intravenous chemo yet !
Dx @ 39 F on WW managmeent
Nov 18 - Dx of a mid-rectal tumour at T3N1M0 (2cm) 7cm from AV
Dec 18 - CRT, 28 sessions + Capecitabine at 3000mg daily
Jan - Mar - WW in place (12 weeks)
Mar'19 - MRI, PET, sig flex and biopsy ordered to determine being a WW candidate.
Apr - CCR, surgery on hold. 6 cycles of Xelox.
Aug - 6 cycles of Xelox completed
19 - Flex sig, biopsy, PET/MRI
2019 - 2023 - Every 6 mths - Full scope / Flex sig / biopsy, PET / MRI / CT every 6 months
Dec 23 - All clear 5 years on ! Thank god !

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 pm

Prior to my right hemicolectomy I had no clue that coffee had laxative effect.
Then after my surgery it took me a while to figure this out.
Unfortunately this effect is rather strong in my case.

When I go to the office I need a few cups of coffee through the day, that would result to a few trips to a bathroom.
Apparent solution to this issue is to stay at home, but I can't afford to retire right now.

Can you think of another way to mitigate this issue?
Do you believe that different ways to prepare coffee have different laxative effects?
For example, have you noticed any difference between black coffee and coffee with milk?
What about dripping coffee vs. espresso vs. instant coffee?

Does tea have the same laxative effect or not?
I am willing to switch to tea for my morning caffeine fix.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

Pyro

Postby Pyro » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 am

Jolene wrote:When I was diagnosed, the first few things I asked was what I should or should not eat, all three doctors - the primary colorectal doc, the oncologist and the radiation oncologist all said NOTHING THAT WE CANNOT EAT. Phew ! :lol:

Except during my capcitabine intake, oncologist advised not to take grapefruit as there have been research that says it doesn't work well with chemo drugs and that's about it. I can totally live with that ! :lol:

I was also advised not to take too much fiber during my pelvic radiation due an irritated rectum but that was just temporary.

Maybe a thread on food intake could be created to discuss this further !

I have not gone through the intravenous chemo yet !

Only thing I was told not to take, grapefruit juice, reacts to things from pain killers to chemo. I wanted to live as “normal” as possible, keeping coffee around helped that.
Aug 2015- Stage 4 CC with liver Mets(38/m)
Sep 2015- Avastin/Folfox/Iron
Dec 2015-Not liver surgery candidate
Jan 2016- Erbitux/Folfiri, 2nd opinion at MDA in TX
Feb 2016 -MDA liver surgery
Mar 2016 -30% of left lobe rem, PVE
May 2016 - 70% of liver rem
Jun 2016-Rad
Jan 2017-perm colost @MDA
Jul 2017-Erb/FOLFURI
Nov 2017 -Lung & Liver ablations@MDA
Jan 2018 -Xeloda & Avastin mx
Jul 2018-Avast/FOLFURI