New to list...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Tucduck

New to list...

Postby Tucduck » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:29 pm

New to list but old caregiver to wife Vicki. 9/29/06 is our 50th.
My wife 78, has a liver tumor 14x12x13 cm on the last ct scan a month ago. Diagnostician at Memorial Sloane Kettering CC in Manhattan stated that it's about 85% necrotic in the middle. The size has remained basically the same over the last two years, the CEA bounces up and down between 45-190. Currently she is getting Camptosar, Xeloda & Avastin
She has getting chemo every three weeks since Dec 2001 but at only half strenght doses. Also some rest periods for a month or two.
Other than lack of energy she has been doing very well.
Colorectal cancer was discovered in October 1998, 1' ascending colon &
tumor removed from rectum, followed by 5fu for six months.
Then it metastasized to liver in Nov 2001.
Would like to hear/learn more about Liver Resection. Was under the impression that growth had to be very, very small for laparoscopic surgery. herb/vicki...

missj

new to list

Postby missj » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:19 am

hi,
glad you are here! glad vicki seems to be doing well. im new at this as well i just found out i have stage 4cc with mets to liver. as far as resection goes i have been told that if the spots are big they do chemo to shrink them so when they do resect they can get a greater area around tumor that is cancer free when they cut it out. i started off with a bad onco who basically wrote me off when i walked in the door, as it turns out my lesions are small enough where i could have had my surgery 1st to remove lesions then had chemo. if you go to memorial sloan kettering you are for sure in one of the best places in america for cancer treatment. i am in florida but i am traveling there for liver resection it is worth the extra time, money, and inconvenience of being away from home. it seems that it is also good your wifes tumor has not grown much in the past 2 years, my uncle had cc and he was told his tumors were growing probably 10-15 years before they were discovered and before he showed any symptoms. how does 3 years of chemo effect vicki? it must be hard i have only had 4 chemos and im already sick of it.

missj

Tucduck

Liver metastisis

Postby Tucduck » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:54 pm

Hi missj,
Good to get the comeback so soon.
Vicki has been getting chemo since Dec 1991, almost five years now.
Counting the original 18 treatments in 1999 for the colorectal, she has now had 115 doses, when she gets Avastin & Camptosar plus Xeloda I only count it as one treatment.
The first 5fu/leucorvorin treatment in 1998 put her in the hospital for seven days & aalmost killed her as the first oncologist gave her too much. After that she didn't want to have chemo again but the surgeon and I & our sons talked her back into it.
The oncologist cut the dose in half an she tolerated it very well.
Her hair started to fall out an I gave her a buzz cut for which she was happy. She has had very little nausea but has had bouts of constipation
& diarrhea. Luckily, she does not have diabetes, heart disease nor an overweight problem, which is a major portion of the battle. Her attitude is never give up HOPE.
Since she started on chemo in 1999 with a new oncologist, new CC drugs are are Xeloda, Camptosar, Avastin, Erbitux, Oxylaplatin, the Folfox cocktail. So as long as they give it to you in small doses life can go on. We know a few friends who just refused chemo an the end came quick. In Vicki's case the chemo is keeping her alive.
We don't go to MSKCC for treatment, just for an evaluation once a year or so. She see's a Doctor Veach who is the International Diagnostician for
Colorectal & he also teaches there. He said he couldn't offer any better treatment than she is getting in Scranton PA. He was very happy that the center that we go to has ten oncologists & is a place that participates in trials.
I better stop & make supper as once I get talking/writing I can go
on & on.
herb...

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Hearing that your wife has had so many chemo treatments gives me strenght to finish up my rounds. Thank you for sharing your story.

50 years!!! wow you will have to share the secret to that success too!!!

Sharon

Tucduck

50 years together...

Postby Tucduck » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:06 pm

Hi Sharon,
On the Regis & Kelly show the other day a woman was on the phone,
she said the secret to her 35 year marriage was that both of them had the keys to the gun safe. Hmmm, equal opportunity household.

I always say my wife worked from 8-4 pm and I worked for the phone company from either noon to 8 pm or 4-12 pm so we kind of had our alone time for most of our marriage.

We have been together 24/7 since I retired in 1991, we even had a gift shop for 3 years working together, that was a challenge.

Since the cancer started in 1998 we realize that you never know what tomorrow is going to bring. Our younger son (45) had his malignant thyroid & lymphs removed at MSKCC this past February & was given the good prognosis that they got it all.

It seems like yesterday that we just met, I was still in the Navy,
took her to the Ringling Bros Circus at Madison Square Garden on our first date, wow how corny is that, the circus on a first date.

In the morning we have a special candle to light, given to us by a nephew's wife on my wifes side, her father was one of the people killed on 9/11 in the WTC.
He was on the 103rd floor of the north tower.
Hope everyone flys their Flag tomorrow.
herb/vicki...

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:55 pm

Herb/Vicky,

I am with the Canadian Army and can remember almost to the minute where I was today.

I like your antidote about the gun cabinet. I will remember that for a future relationship. My kids father says that when our daughter starts dating, he is not going to give her suitors a hard time, he is just going to put one bullet on the mantel with the guys name on it!!! Oh daddy's and their little girls!!!

As for fighting this disease, I rely on the saying. "If He takes you to it, He will take you through it". We never know what the big plan is, but it is comforting to know you are never alone.

Keep fighting
Sharon

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”