5FU infusions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpbser

Re: 5FU infusions

Postby mpbser » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 am

I spoke to my husband last night about the pump and how easy it will be, how the models at MSK are really quiet, small, and he won't even know it's there. I even made logical arguments for pump/infusion 5FU over oral, e.g. pathway through the lungs and directly into bloodstream to annihilate CTCs. But, just as before when he opted for the oral method, he became obstinate about the idea of the pump. He has been like this from the get-go for some reason. I know he doesn't want two days of living with this reminder that he has cancer, like a monkey on his back, but he needs to buck it up. The trial requirements are the trial requirements and the pump/infusion 5FU is what is required. Just one more stress to deal with. Almost every little thing has to be a battle and sometimes it's like arguing with a four year old.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

Nordy1

Postby Nordy1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am

I used the pump for 7.5 months on an every other week basis, its very easy to acclimatize to. I'm in Canada and the pump I used is totally silent, its actually a type of balloon inside a bottle I wore strapped to my waist. My husband was taught to disconnect me after the 48 hour mark and it really was no big deal, I'm fairly confident I could have disconnected my own but I didn't want to deprive my husband of a chance of participating :D

Best of luck
Nordy1
jan 2018 emergency room via ambulance rectal bleeding event
dx Feb 2018 sigmoid adenocarcinoma 2.5 cm, 3 small extranodal foci resected march 2018
stage 3A T1 n1c
multiple indeterminent nodes in liver, lungs and kidney
11 rounds folfox with oxyplatin stopped with full nephropathy of hands and feet
currently waiting next scan in Feb. 2019

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:54 am

His reaction is interesting. Cancer has so many little indignities and for me the pump was so far down on the list of stuff that bugged me, it barely registered. Once it is strapped on, I pretty much forget about it, and the two days go quickly. I don't love not being able to shower while it's on but it saves me a little time in the morning those two days! Even taking it through TSA when I travel has been no big deal.

I can see why he would be concerned, but this is one thing that turned out to be no big deal.

Good luck with your toddler! ; )
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

cbsmith

Postby cbsmith » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:40 am

I received 5FU via my port for all my folfox and folfiri infusions, a total of over 60 I figure over the years. The pump I used was silent and it just taped to my skin to allow body heat to adminster the correct dosage. The pump was kind of a hassle for the 2 days but it wasn’t that bad and didn’t affect my sleep any.

You should be able to get it connected or disconnect locally in your own town as part of the systemic chemo I imagine. There should be no need to travel to NYC every trip to do it.

I can understand why your husband does not want to do it and if I had to go back on a chemo test included 5FU I would be hestitant now as well but it sounds like he has no other choice. Maybe at least try it for a 2-3 cycles and see and then if it is an issue discuss changing to an oral based method.
06/14-DX with FAP as 36yo Male
07/14-total colectomy, rectum removal, permanent ileostomy
08/14-DX Stage IIIC, KRAS mutant, MSS
09/14-04/15 - 12 rounds of FOLFOX
07/15-CT showed para-aortic lymph node, onc thght inflammation
10/15-DX Stage IV, CT lymph node tripled in size, 1 small lung met
11/15-FOLFIRI + Avastin
06/16-lymph node is stable, now have a 2nd lung met
01/16-lymph node is stable, lung mets grown 2mm. Still on FOLFIRI + Avastin
11/17 - no chemo since. Lung growth minimal, lymph node is stable

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks, gina. I highly suspect his reaction has to be with his sense of masculinity. He can brave major surgeries and come out on top of them, fighting a good fight and being tough. On the other hand, he perceives having a pump that could possibly be seen by others as a sign of weakness. It's a small indignation to have to talk about pooping with his wife and doctors, but it's a huge indignation to have a two day pump in his chest. The irony of all was that in his frustration with the prospect of the pump, he commented that maybe he shouldn't do anything at all. This is the second time he has said something like that when facing something that won't be "easy" for him this time around. There is no easy way out of this and the sooner he accepts that, the better. For the both of us.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

hiker

Postby hiker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:08 am

mpbser wrote:Thanks, gina. I highly suspect his reaction has to be with his sense of masculinity. He can brave major surgeries and come out on top of them, fighting a good fight and being tough. On the other hand, he perceives having a pump that could possibly be seen by others as a sign of weakness. It's a small indignation to have to talk about pooping with his wife and doctors, but it's a huge indignation to have a two day pump in his chest. The irony of all was that in his frustration with the prospect of the pump, he commented that maybe he shouldn't do anything at all. This is the second time he has said something like that when facing something that won't be "easy" for him this time around. There is no easy way out of this and the sooner he accepts that, the better. For the both of us.

First off, there's nothing masculine about dying from doing nothing at all. Second, the pump can't be seen by anyone - no one even knew when I was connected to it other than my wife and kids. And third, tell him to stop bitching because it could always be worse. I contracted a deadly bacterial infection and had to have my port accessed 24/7 for 3 straight months (yes, needle in chest with all the plumbing taped to my torso) so I could do IV infusions of antibiotics twice a day. Time to man up.

hiker
Colonoscopy 2/17, 5cm tumor descending
Diagnosed stage iv, liver mets 3/17
Colon resection 3/17
Told surgery not an option, get my affairs in order
Meet w/MSK team 5/01/17
Folfox(3rds) 5/17-6/17
Liver resection/implant HAI pump 7/17
HAI pump chemo(5rds) 8/17-2/18
Folfiri+Vectibix(11rds) 8/17-2/18
Spot on chest CT 10/17
Lung biopsy (that was fun) 11/17