Extreme fatigue Erbitux wants to quit

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Etaner27
Facebook Username: Renee.hannah

Extreme fatigue Erbitux wants to quit

Postby Etaner27 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 pm

New here! My brother has stage 4 colon cancer, 52 years old. He was diagnosed a year ago and had emergency surgery where the tumor had broken through the wall. Has ileostomy bags. Tumor removed successfully with 3/33 lymph nodes cancerous, no other Mets. He went on adjuvant therapy then quit to go holistic. Within months cancer came back quickly in abdomen and lungs. Immediately went on Erbitux and Campostar but after 3 treatments, 2 weeks apart, became so weak and anemic he quit. The chemo however has been working, CEA levels dropped significantly, but he feels so bad. We want him to continue but he feels like it will kill him and also became extremely depressed. Is there anything he can do to manage the fatigue? Change drugs? Stretch treatment? Thanks so much!

hiker

Re: Extreme fatigue Erbitux wants to quit

Postby hiker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Hey Etaner27,

I really wish I had an answer for you. Chemo sucks...no way around it. Fatigue and extreme constipation were my worst side effects. There were times I was so tired I didn't think I even had the strength to breathe. But I honestly believe what got me through it all was to never give in to the fatigue - just push through it.

A person has to have a reason to live - mine was my kids. If it weren't for them, I would never have gone through a year of absolute hell. Your brother has to find his reason to live - that will motivate him to do whatever it takes to stay alive.

I wish you both well.

hiker
Colonoscopy 2/17, 5cm tumor descending
Diagnosed stage iv, liver mets 3/17
Colon resection 3/17
Told surgery not an option, get my affairs in order
Meet w/MSK team 5/01/17
Folfox(3rds) 5/17-6/17
Liver resection/implant HAI pump 7/17
HAI pump chemo(5rds) 8/17-2/18
Folfiri+Vectibix(11rds) 8/17-2/18
Spot on chest CT 10/17
Lung biopsy (that was fun) 11/17
Nocardia bacterial infection w/spread to brain (this is serious) 11/17
IV antibiotics 12/17-2/18
Oral antibiotics 3/18-12/18
Clear of cancer since surgery

Etaner27
Facebook Username: Renee.hannah

Postby Etaner27 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:41 am

Thank you Hiker. You are right about that. Wish you continued recovery and healing.

Sakkurt

Postby Sakkurt » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 pm

hiker wrote:Hey Etaner27,

I really wish I had an answer for you. Chemo sucks...no way around it. Fatigue and extreme constipation were my worst side effects. There were times I was so tired I didn't think I even had the strength to breathe. But I honestly believe what got me through it all was to never give in to the fatigue - just push through it.

A person has to have a reason to live - mine was my kids. If it weren't for them, I would never have gone through a year of absolute hell. Your brother has to find his reason to live - that will motivate him to do whatever it takes to stay alive.

I wish you both well.

hiker

Hiker you are such an inspiration for my father. I read your threats to him, which gave him a lot of hope. He is also stage IV colon cancer with liver metastasis, and said that he was inoperable and not much hope, but Dr. K (which I call her a true angel by heart) gave us hope and seems like the treatment goes smoothly. He had 8 rounds of folfox, and after he developed neuropathy he is having the 9th round without oxi. Hopefully will be ready for operation (needs HAI pump, as there were many metastasis), after 4 more rounds.
Thanks for being an inspiration for all of us :) :) :)

hiker

Postby hiker » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:23 am

Hey Sakkurt,

Thank you for the kind words. Your post made my day...my week. The only reason I joined this forum was to hopefully be a help to someone else who's as scared as I was when diagnosed with this awful disease.

I wish you and your dad well.

hiker
Colonoscopy 2/17, 5cm tumor descending
Diagnosed stage iv, liver mets 3/17
Colon resection 3/17
Told surgery not an option, get my affairs in order
Meet w/MSK team 5/01/17
Folfox(3rds) 5/17-6/17
Liver resection/implant HAI pump 7/17
HAI pump chemo(5rds) 8/17-2/18
Folfiri+Vectibix(11rds) 8/17-2/18
Spot on chest CT 10/17