Pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Freddy18

Pain

Postby Freddy18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:12 am

Hi I'm recovering from small intestine colon resection Its been two months from operation and I'm experiencing a pain that's new and bothering me. Any advice? Thank you

CRguy

Re: Pain

Postby CRguy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Welcome to the forum.

With regards to any medical advice :
you need to contact your own doctor and seek help for your pain, from the medical experts who know your situation best.

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:07 pm

CRguy wrote:Welcome to the forum.

you need to contact your own doctor and seek help for your pain, from the medical experts who know your situation best.

CRguy

I agree with CR guy to check-in with your surgeon, as he/she knows the particulars of your internal anatomy and surgical procedure.

I have had several intestinal surgeries. Small bowel resections can have you experiencing post-operative sensations that differ from a resection of the large intestine.

The small intestine functionally is in constant motion 24-7 under a moistened apron of overlying fat called the omentum. The small intestine squiggles and squirmes, much as a snake slithers and glides. The large intestine, by comparison, moves in intermittent paristaltic waves. Paristaltic waves occur at intervals during the day, with muscular contraction that starts at the beginning of the large intestine and ripples along its length, much as a line of dominoes falls in succession. Between paristalsis, the large intestine is acquiescent and at rest.

It is the constant wiggling of the small intestine that can lend to a heightened awareness of internal sensations and nerve pain during recovery.

Adhesions/scar tissue can form bands that tether the small intestine to adjacent tissue or to the abdominal wall. Movement of the body, say rotating the torso when reaching for an object on an upper shelf, then places tension on the adhesions/scar tissue which can be registered as a sharp flinching pain or an internal feeling of tissue resistance/tugging.

An additional source of pain can be sensory nerve endings that become embedded in tissue as a normal process of healing tissue. Surgical incisions, by their very nature, slice through/cut small sensory neve fibers that traverse through the skin and underlying connective tissue and muscle. Small nerve fiber regeneration and regrowth in the weeks/months after surgery will present with their own communication that they are awakening. It is often a high pitched, fleeting pain. It tends to be intermittent (not constant).

I share these pain types to let you know that intermittent pain is not uncommon during recovery for intestinal reactions. Healing is a process of several months, 4-6 months. It is normal to become more aware of what your body is “saying” and communicating to you after surgery. I am a firm believer that if we carefully listen to our body our body is able to tell us what it needs and tell us about its state of being.

It is always wise to communicate with your surgeon if you have new or concerning symptoms. Never consider that you are bothering your physician when asking a question or calling with a concern.

Hoping your pain is explained by normal effects of healing,
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Steph20021

Postby Steph20021 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:42 pm

This was very informative and interesting thanks for sharing miss molly.

MissMolly wrote:
CRguy wrote:Welcome to the forum.

CRguy

I agree with CR guy to check-in with your surgeon, as he/she knows the particulars of your internal anatomy and surgical procedure.

I have had several intestinal surgeries. Small bowel resections can have you experiencing post-operative sensations that differ from a resection of the large intestine.

The small intestine functionally is in constant motion 24-7 under a moistened apron of overlying fat called the omentum. The small intestine squiggles and squirmes, much as a snake slithers and glides. The large intestine, by comparison, moves in intermittent paristaltic waves. Paristaltic waves occur at intervals during the day, with muscular contraction that starts at the beginning of the large intestine and ripples along its length, much as a line of dominoes falls in succession. Between paristalsis, the large intestine is acquiescent and at rest.

It is the constant wiggling of the small intestine that can lend to a heightened awareness of internal sensations and nerve pain during recovery.

Adhesions/scar tissue can form bands that tether the small intestine to adjacent tissue or to the abdominal wall. Movement of the body, say rotating the torso when reaching for an object on an upper shelf, then places tension on the adhesions/scar tissue which can be registered as a sharp flinching pain or an internal feeling of tissue resistance/tugging.

An additional source of pain can be sensory nerve endings that become embedded in tissue as a normal process of healing tissue. Surgical incisions, by their very nature, slice through/cut small sensory neve fibers that traverse through the skin and underlying connective tissue and muscle. Small nerve fiber regeneration and regrowth in the weeks/months after surgery will present with their own communication that they are awakening. It is often a high pitched, fleeting pain. It tends to be intermittent (not constant).

I share these pain types to let you know that intermittent pain is not uncommon during recovery for intestinal reactions. Healing is a process of several months, 4-6 months. It is normal to become more aware of what your body is “saying” and communicating to you after surgery. I am a firm believer that if we carefully listen to our body our body is able to tell us what it needs and tell us about its state of being.

It is always wise to communicate with your surgeon if you have new or concerning symptoms. Never consider that you are bothering your physician when asking a question or calling with a concern.

Hoping your pain is explained by normal effects of healing,
Karen
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:20 pm

I had the small intestine resection for a condition called meckels diverticulum its rare enough. That was on the 10th November 2018. I was recovering ok I guess but I returned to work and had to get back to lifting and moving stuff now I'm sore again. Its a pain in belly button area it's pain different from before as its sore when not moving? Im a worrying and always thinking the worst. I also suffer from bleeding in my stool which is ongoing even before surgery for meckels? Have a colonoscopy in March again. I had one before and said it's fine but I never got an answer for bleeding? it's good to get others opinions on these matters. Thanks for the replys

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:58 pm

If you've been lifting stuff you could have a hernia and you'll need to get
that sorted with your GP. If it's a workplace injury, get in touch with your union.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:41 am

I don't have a lump for hernia?

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 am

I'm 27 years old is it possible lifting heavy to soon did damage or am I worrying to much?

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Welcome to the group! :) I'm sorry you're having pain!*hugs* I would see your doctor. I hope you get answers and feel better soon!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks for advice. Yea il get it checked out anyway for sure. I just feel like I not getting relieve from pain killers and that and then it affects me mentally wise I felt like why did I lift heavy stuff I feel regret. But can bad pain come like that then keep lasting ? I always think the worst even at times people say don't worry it's hard not too, you know.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”