Managing erractic mood swings. Is psychologist the answer ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Pyro

Re: Managing erractic mood swings. Is psychologist the answer ?

Postby Pyro » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:49 am

Maggie Nell wrote:
especially when there is such a prominent expectation to get over your treatment and go run a marathon.

Yes, yes, yes! I have people sending me job offers and wondering why I’m not out and about more. The worst (I’m sorry, I’m not thinking of anyone here) are the poor folks who had stage 1 and got through it, then moved on with life like it was before. They don’t understand that we don’t have the same thing, they beat it, why can’t you? Or, when I tell them surgery is the only way but I can’t get it because I don’t want to do anymore chemo they are flabbergasted “I’d just quit.” Maybe I am a quitter but if 80+ rounds of chemo hasn’t fixed it, it probably will not.
Aug 2015- Stage 4 CC with liver Mets(38/m)
Sep 2015- Avastin/Folfox/Iron
Dec 2015-Not liver surgery candidate
Jan 2016- Erbitux/Folfiri, 2nd opinion at MDA in TX
Feb 2016 -MDA liver surgery
Mar 2016 -30% of left lobe rem, PVE
May 2016 - 70% of liver rem
Jun 2016-Rad
Jan 2017-perm colost @MDA
Jul 2017-Erb/FOLFURI
Nov 2017 -Lung & Liver ablations@MDA
Jan 2018 -Xeloda & Avastin mx
Jul 2018-Avast/FOLFURI
Sep 2018-Rad
Mar 2019 - Keytruda fail
Jun 2019 - FOLFURI
Aug 2019 - No more, quality time!

Pyro70

Postby Pyro70 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 am

Pyro wrote:
Maggie Nell wrote:
especially when there is such a prominent expectation to get over your treatment and go run a marathon.

Yes, yes, yes! I have people sending me job offers and wondering why I’m not out and about more. The worst (I’m sorry, I’m not thinking of anyone here) are the poor folks who had stage 1 and got through it, then moved on with life like it was before. They don’t understand that we don’t have the same thing, they beat it, why can’t you? Or, when I tell them surgery is the only way but I can’t get it because I don’t want to do anymore chemo they are flabbergasted “I’d just quit.” Maybe I am a quitter but if 80+ rounds of chemo hasn’t fixed it, it probably will not.

I feel your pain.
Dx Jan 2017 stage IVB w/ PC age 35
FOLFOX
SEP 17 HIPEC 1, anastamosis leak
XELODA
MAR 18 HIPEC 2
JUN 18, ileo reversal and 2nd anastamosis leak

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:48 am

Or, when I tell them surgery is the only way but I can’t get it because I don’t want to do anymore chemo they are flabbergasted “I’d just quit.” Maybe I am a quitter but if 80+ rounds of chemo hasn’t fixed it, it probably will not.

It's important to make the chemo chemistries for a marathon and to find surgeons, "beyond inoperable", one way or another to whittle them down. I was somewhat bummed out when we passed the 3rd year after her last surgery (4th year of chemo), still whacking small stuff, slowly. Some papers showed 3 years as a possible curative treatment time, post surgery for residual seeding.

My wife cried when the reviewing dr laughed at her at 6 years post dx when she stated her seemingly hopeless desire to be "cured", chemo free. He laughed in part because all others like her were long gone, she has had good-great life quality, and is already "lucky". In part, it was probably nervous reflex because of the chemo forever - permanent seeding view of metastatic, para aortic lymph node clusters.

After 8 years she dropped chemo, based on some pretty good markers, and just tired of chemo. 10+ months later, her CEA, AFP and LDH markers are still stable and low. 8 yrs metronomic chemo translates as ~ 200 rounds of chemo. It can be done.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Pyro

Postby Pyro » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:11 am

Thank you! I’m not sure if she did 200 rounds of chemo or it was the equivalent, but dang that’s a lot. What I’m struggling with is if I’m going to pass on chemo or not, I’d rather not. Time will tell.
Aug 2015- Stage 4 CC with liver Mets(38/m)
Sep 2015- Avastin/Folfox/Iron
Dec 2015-Not liver surgery candidate
Jan 2016- Erbitux/Folfiri, 2nd opinion at MDA in TX
Feb 2016 -MDA liver surgery
Mar 2016 -30% of left lobe rem, PVE
May 2016 - 70% of liver rem
Jun 2016-Rad
Jan 2017-perm colost @MDA
Jul 2017-Erb/FOLFURI
Nov 2017 -Lung & Liver ablations@MDA
Jan 2018 -Xeloda & Avastin mx
Jul 2018-Avast/FOLFURI
Sep 2018-Rad
Mar 2019 - Keytruda fail
Jun 2019 - FOLFURI
Aug 2019 - No more, quality time!

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:48 am

There are days when I struggle with the thought that my dead hands will have
to be cut loose from around the neck of the last jerk who crosses my path.... :twisted:
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”