Liver resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AJQ

Liver resection

Postby AJQ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:17 am

Hello Friends,
I have more surgeries coming up in 2 weeks. On Feb 1st I am scheduled for Open Liver resection and CRS.
Appreciate any help and information on Liver resection, prep, recovery and what to prepare for.

After recovery from this I will be having lung VATS wedge resection.

Thanks
AJ
53 yr, stage 4 adenocarcinoma of appendix(PD) and Cecum
5/16/17: LAP Appendix Removal
5/22/17: Diagnosed. T4 poorly differentiated with LVI
6/21/17: LAP RHC: 1/21 positive Lymph. T4N1M0
7/27/17: started Xelox (Capox) cycles
10/17: CT scan. Multiple Peri and Pelvis mets. Stage 4
11/17: CRS/HIPEC. All nodules removed- low PCI
1/18: CT. 2 lung nodules. next CT on 4/24
7/18: multiple Liver nodules. 3 additional lung nods. Started targeted therapy
1/19: CT scan and Liver resection planned for 2/1/19

stu

Re: Liver resection

Postby stu » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:09 am

Hi ,

Just want to wish you all the best . I think it depends on the amount of liver removed as to how quickly you recover . My mum initially had a Bowel resection plus four wedge resections and kayaked six weeks later .
The second time she had 73% of her liver removed and had to rest for much longer . She gained a lot of fluid afterwards as the liver apparently has a role to play in producing ,I think it was some form of protein ,which helps with the fluids being pushed around . So we kept her protein intake up post op . Also had to adjust to her clothing requirements till that settled around her abdomen.
The recovery of the wound was similar to her Bowel resection which she had an open procedure for .
She was very tired and forced to carry out activities of daily living in a slow manner for about a month . As the liver regenerated you could see her regain her strength and each week made a difference . My mum is much older than you so I would think you would recover sooner but it took the full three months for everything to level out with the second bigger procedure.
However totally worth it as it did a great job and stayed clear for the last seven years .
She has also had Vats on her lung . Home two days later with a minor adjustment to her bra for comfort and fully recovered within two weeks to her normal life .
Scanned well for the last three years .
I wish you every success .
Stu
Last edited by stu on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

AJQ

Postby AJQ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:41 am

stu wrote:Hi ,

Just want to wish you all the best . I think it depends on the amount of liver removed as to how quickly you recover . My mum initially had a Bowel resection plus four wedge resections and kayaked six weeks later .
The second time she had 73% of her liver removed and had to rest for much longer . She gained a lot of fluid afterwards as the liver apparently has a role to play in producing I think it was some form of protein to which helps with the fluids being pushed around . So we kept her protein intake up post op . Also had to adjust to her clothing requirements till that settles around her abdomen.
The recovery of the wound was similar to her Bowel resection which she had an open procedure for .
She was very tired and forced to carry out activities of daily living in a slow manner for about a month . As the liver regenerated you could see her regain her strength and each week made a difference . My mum is much older than you so I would think you would recover sooner but it took the full three months for everything to level out with the second bigger procedure.
However totally worth it as it did a great job and stayed clear for the last seven years .
She has also had Vats on her lung . Home two days later with a minor adjustment to her bra for comfort and fully recovered within two weeks to her normal life .
Scanned well for the last three years .
I wish you every success .
Stu

Thank you Stu! I really appreciate it.
AJ
53 yr, stage 4 adenocarcinoma of appendix(PD) and Cecum
5/16/17: LAP Appendix Removal
5/22/17: Diagnosed. T4 poorly differentiated with LVI
6/21/17: LAP RHC: 1/21 positive Lymph. T4N1M0
7/27/17: started Xelox (Capox) cycles
10/17: CT scan. Multiple Peri and Pelvis mets. Stage 4
11/17: CRS/HIPEC. All nodules removed- low PCI
1/18: CT. 2 lung nodules. next CT on 4/24
7/18: multiple Liver nodules. 3 additional lung nods. Started targeted therapy
1/19: CT scan and Liver resection planned for 2/1/19

Pyro

Postby Pyro » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:47 pm

Watch and care for hernias post op, I had one and it was large, they had to fix it a subsequent surgery.
Aug 2015- Stage 4 CC with liver Mets(38/m)
Sep 2015- Avastin/Folfox/Iron
Dec 2015-Not liver surgery candidate
Jan 2016- Erbitux/Folfiri, 2nd opinion at MDA in TX
Feb 2016 -MDA liver surgery
Mar 2016 -30% of left lobe rem, PVE
May 2016 - 70% of liver rem
Jun 2016-Rad
Jan 2017-perm colost @MDA
Jul 2017-Erb/FOLFURI
Nov 2017 -Lung & Liver ablations@MDA
Jan 2018 -Xeloda & Avastin mx
Jul 2018-Avast/FOLFURI