mpbser wrote:My husband’s 12:30 bloodwork results yesterday included elevated platelets, white blood cells, carbon dioxide, and neutrophils. At around 5:30, we finally got in to see oncologist for his 1:15 appointment. We had to ask about this as it was overlooked. Oncologist’s assistant was more concerned about why my husband is taking magnesium supplements. I was too tired by that time to point out to her that the daily bloodwork checking his magnesium levels during the time he was in the hospital, when he was off of the home supplements, came back below normal. After my husband pointed out to them the bloodwork from earlier that day, they had him to repeat bloodwork which showed even higher levels of the above. Then they had him do a urinalysis and blood culture from the arm and the pump. The urinalysis does not show an infection. Still waiting on the blood work.
mpbser wrote:Yesterday was especially hard because we had not gotten much sleep that morning due to lots of commotion at the place we stayed the night before. We were woken up at 4:45am and didn't get much sleep after that. It was a very long, tiring day, but thankfully we both slept well last night and this morning. He had an appointment tomorrow morning at 8am at our local hospital to have his staples removed that was thankfully rescheduled by the surgeon to 2pm. This way, he can sleep until 9am in the morning before working, then appointment, and back to work.
mpbser wrote:We return to MSK in two weeks to have the pump drained and filled with saline. He will then have his "systemic chemo" (folfiri). He will have the port pump "disconnected" two days later at our local cancer center because we don't want to do it ourselves. There is a risk of infection so my husband wants to leave it to the professionals to do.
mpbser wrote:My husband's local oncologist is very hands-off these days because he isn't getting any chemo ("treatment") under her care. She currently "isn't treating him" says her office staff to me, although he does go there for port flushes and, as of next week, disconnects. Because of this status with her, I don't think that she would agree to have him do the flushes there. She wouldn't even order the labs for a liquid biopsy we requested.
I will try, in any case, because it would be awesome to have the post-treatment servicing done locally. Your experience will be so helpful in navigating this! Thanks so much for this information!!!Thanks so much for this information!!!
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests