New to this group

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Leanjoe

New to this group

Postby Leanjoe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:52 pm

HI all. I'm 62 yr old man,I had right hemicolectomy after ER visit for rectal bleeding. Stage3 B colon cancer.
This is my 3rd bout of cancer,previously had Prostate then Tonsilar SCC. Radical Prostatectomy ,then 4yrs later, 7 weeks radiation for the tonsils. Now this,I feel like Chemo is a waste of time, effin' cancer just keeps coming back. I have been reading the posts on here from others regarding their refusal of Chemo but they're all 5yrs old or more,any recent posts from any of those people? Any new developments? Thanks for any replies

CRguy

Re: New to this group

Postby CRguy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Welcome to the forum

All those cancers you've had may / might / would require different chemos because they are not typically related.

SO should you consider chemo for CRC ?
IMO = YES because this IS a CRC forum and we have lotsa folks who have done well ...
with a shitload of chemos over the years.

Read my bio.

IF you have just been reading posts about refusing chemo .....
MAYBE read some posts by those who DID chemo and are still here.

YMMV

Harmony on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Leanjoe wrote:HI all. I'm 62 yr old man,I had right hemicolectomy after ER visit for rectal bleeding. Stage3 B colon cancer.

Waving hand, here, here, here!!! Yes to what CRGuy wrote. Me, I'm a stage IIIC "SURVIVOR" coming up on 15 years. No one likes chemo, butt I'm alive and kicking today, and chemo is a big reason why!!

Have you been genetically tested? If you have kids or grand kids, pls do it for them. It could save their lives one day,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Leanjoe

Postby Leanjoe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:41 am

Two daughters and no but,it's been mentioned by Dr.

stu

Postby stu » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Ten years this year for my mum as a stage 4 patient . Chemo was a game changer . But I hear you , getting over one bump to be hit with another is hard . My mum has had her share of that too and talked about having to find her focus but you know it’s paid off .
What I would say if it keeps it at a lower stage then it’s worth it . But it’s your choice and I can see your finding it hard to move forward with this one .
I wish you well .
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

CAGirl

Postby CAGirl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Also, keep in mind that not all chemo treatments are alike. Maybe some folks on here can speak to previous or subsequent cancers vs. CRC? I've heard Folfox -- one day infusion, two days with pump -- is more tolerable than chemo for other cancers.

I got through 12 cycles. (Nine or so with the Oxaliplatin.) My days off it (the week between cycles) were "normal" and pretty functional. I know some on here even kept working the whole time.
Dx 2/2017, age 45, 2 kids: 6 yrs & 3 yrs
History of Crohn's disease - dx in 1997; in remission, thus no colonoscopy in over 10 years
Anemia dx 11/16: GI doc assured me "the likelihood of colon cancer" was "very low".
Stage 3C - T3N2b
8/64 lymph nodes; clear margins surgery 3/17
12 cycles of Folfox 4/17-9/17
3-month CT scan midway through chemo, no changes
2-3-mo CT scan post chemo 11/17 slightly larger lung nod (incr. from 7mm to 8 or 9mm)
CT scan 3/18 - NED
clear CT scan 1/2019 NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”