Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
esuperbaby

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby esuperbaby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Dear all,

May I firstly thank you all for your valuable sharing and comment / info.. it really helps a lot and let me well prepared before meeting the Oncologist today.

The comment from the Oncologist was quite similar to
most of you.

- stage IIa is rather in grey area
- the high risk factor for me is LVI undetermined
- 2-3% benefit from doing chemo as adjuctive treatment

As considered being young, my Oncologist would recommend having Xelonda for 8 cycles (14 days oral treatment + 7 days rest as one cycle)

Frankly, I’m still hesitate ... oncologist said I can digest a bit and make a decision in 2 weeks. Coz I just finished the surgery around 3 weeks and not well recovered yet..

Also, I’m upset becoz seems there’s no way to know if any bad cell still in the body .. petCT probably can’t help if only small amount of remaining ..

Of coz I don’t want to go thru Chemo... but also afraid if having recurrence (touchwood ..), I will be regret ..
Though I understand after chemo doesn’t mean 100% fine.

Can I ask :
Within the Xelonda period, 6 months sick leave is needed?
My oncologist mentioned some ppl can still have quite normal life (hand foot syndrome is quite common) and some even can back to office work ..

Thanks all again !!
40M
diagnosed on 12Dec18,surgery done on 17Dec18.
Right ascending colon, laparoscopic right hemicolectomy
Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
TNM code: T3N0M0, stage II
Positive lymph nodes: 0/26
Baseline CEA value: 2.6
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): Area suggestive but not definite for peritumoral lymphovascular permeation are noted
Perineural invasion (PNI): absent
Surgical margins: clear
MSI status : negative
Xelonda: started from 15Feb19 (2 weeks Xelonda + 1 wk off, total 8 cycles)

esuperbaby

Postby esuperbaby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:37 pm

erins wrote:My oncologist used some of the same numbers for me, but I was negative for LVI (T3N0M0, G1-well-differentiated) tumor, sigmoid colon). He said that it was an even choice, but I have serious underlying kidney issues, so the reduction in recurrence risk wasn’t worth the risk of renal failure. Side effects from chemo didn’t really enter the calculations, and without the kidney issues I’d have likely chosen to do some adjuvant chemo.

Folks here have lots of suggestions either way you go—it’s a hard decision to make, especially if you’re otherwise healthy.

I’m a bit suprised that chemo is still recommended in your case (LVI neg and G1 well-differentiated)..

If my case is not LVI suspect, think my Oncologist may not recommend chemo ..
40M
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): Area suggestive but not definite for peritumoral lymphovascular permeation are noted

esuperbaby

Postby esuperbaby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 pm

DarknessEmbraced wrote:Welcome to to the group! I was diagnosed as stage 2a in 2014. T3N0M0. My pathology report said lymph vascular invasion undetermined so I was referred to an oncologist. The oncologist said chemo would only give me another 3% to 5% reduction in risk. Chemo wasn't recommended. I didn't have chemo and have been in remission since surgery.

May I ask if you were G1/ G2 differentiated?
Did you struggle to have chemo in order to gain this 3-5% at that time ?

My oncologist mentioned something around 2-3% benefit from being having chemo .. that’s the critical decision with only LVI suspect as high risk factor in my case ..
40M

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:02 pm

My take on this is colored by the fact that I was initially diagnosed Stage 4, so the decision to do chemo was obvious.

However, ask yourself how you would feel if you recurred as a Stage 4 and hadn't done everything you could have to possibly prevent a recurrence. Not to scare you, but we have all known people initially diagnosed as Stage 2 who sadly are no longer with us. Everyone has to make this decision for themselves, but this is a factor to consider, irrespective of statistics. When my lung met (a recurrence) was removed, I had the choice of Xeloda or no Xeloda and decided that I would hate myself it I didn't and had another recurrence.

Side effects from the various colorectal cancer chemo regimes are definitely there, but while everyone is different, for the most part not what they present in TV shows / movies. Xeloda alone is the easiest - hand foot syndrome is not fun, but also is manageable.

You are fearful of chemo which is totally understandable. Please remember that during a course of treatment the oncologist may likely reduce the dose one or more times to mitigate side effects. Also, chemo is not a "Yes I'd do the whole course" or "No I won't do any" - you can always stop if the side effects are too bad.

Take care, and best wishes as you make your decision.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm

I did the 14 days on 7 days off and frankly, by day 11 or so, I wanted to be done. It honestly wasn't that bad though and between cycles, I felt great. The one thing that can make the side effects of Xeloda worse is consuming too much folic acid. If memory serves me correctly, you are not in the USA. If so, that may be a good thing. In the USA/Canada, our grain is fortified with folic acid so eating things like cereal, crackers, bread, pasta, etc. will contain large amounts of folic acid. Let me clarify a bit. Folic acid allows the 5FU (what Xeloda is broken down into) to remain in the body longer. With INFUSED 5FU, that is important which is why leucovorin (a derivative of folic acid) is given with infusions. However, with Xeloda, because one takes it on a daily basis, no folic acid/leucovorin is needed. So, my advice would be to:

stop all multivitamins as (at least in the USA) they all contain the recommended daily amount of folic acid
read labels carefully and look for how much folic acid is in a serving.
if your grains are also fortified with folic acid, you don't have to avoid everything.....just watch the carbo overload!

As for the hand/foot syndrome.....I never got it. I was on Xeloda for 5 weeks during radiation (first week was with infusion.....HATED it) and in the next 5 months, I also was free and clear of the hand/foot. I was very proactive and used a TON of lotions/creams multiple times a day to help avoid it.

As for working, I wasn't working at the time but my side effects were no worse than premenstrual cramps. A warm heating pad and a little nap was all that I needed. In fact, keeping a 'normal' routine was extremely beneficial for me. I still drove carpool and taught my son how to drive. The household chores were still done although I did get out of the dishes (yeah!). Most times, cancer patients just want to be NORMAL and I would recommend trying the Xeloda and try to continue your regular routine.

One last thing to ask your onc about is trying Xeloda on an newer protocol.....7 days on.....7 days off. You would still do the required amount of Xeloda but the day 11 or so 'feeling yucky' part doesn't get to you. I've known a few people who have been on this scheduling and have been able to work, feel fine and have medically done just fine on it. At the very least, talk to your onc about it.

Honestly, while I know chemo isn't something anyone WANTS to do....I would seriously tell you to do it. It's good that your doc is open to Xeloda as opposed to infused 5FU...no port needed, no minor surgical procedure to place port, no pump, etc. It is doable and like all of us before you, we know that you can do it as well.
Best of luck with your decision
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Beckster

Postby Beckster » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:54 pm

esuperbaby wrote:
DarknessEmbraced wrote:Welcome to to the group! I was diagnosed as stage 2a in 2014. T3N0M0. My pathology report said lymph vascular invasion undetermined so I was referred to an oncologist. The oncologist said chemo would only give me another 3% to 5% reduction in risk. Chemo wasn't recommended. I didn't have chemo and have been in remission since surgery.

My oncologist mentioned something around 2-3% benefit from being having chemo .. that’s the critical decision with only LVI suspect as high risk factor in my case ..

I would like to weigh in on three things....first, right sided colon cancer is different than left sided and rectal cancer. My oncologist told me that if I had a recurrence, they would be less options for chemo agents. Second, was your pathology done at a major cancer center....many Stage II have had a different pathology outcome when they sought out a second opinion...viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60639&start=15
Third...were you tested for MSI? If you are MSI deficient, you would not need chemo because 5/FU could cause more harm then good.

You need to advocate for yourself and make sure that you get ALL the information needed to make a decision. I did have hand/foot syndrome from Xeloda and my onc adjusted my treatment plan. Yes...it is going to be an inconvience, but for me, it was worth it. LVI is subjective, but it is considered a precurser to lymph node metatsis. If you are struggling to make a decision, than you need more answers!
57/F
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda
6/17,12/17,6/18,12/18,6/19,12/19,12/20,12/21 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1 9/19 2.6 12/19 2.8 6/20 3.0 12/20 2.7 6/21 2.9,[color=#000000]12/21 2.7[/color]
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17, 11/19,11/21 :D

esuperbaby

Postby esuperbaby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 pm

betsydoglover wrote:My take on this is colored by the fact that I was initially diagnosed Stage 4, so the decision to do chemo was obvious.

However, ask yourself how you would feel if you recurred as a Stage 4 and hadn't done everything you could have to possibly prevent a recurrence. Not to scare you, but we have all known people initially diagnosed as Stage 2 who sadly are no longer with us. Everyone has to make this decision for themselves, but this is a factor to consider, irrespective of statistics. When my lung met (a recurrence) was removed, I had the choice of Xeloda or no Xeloda and decided that I would hate myself it I didn't and had another recurrence.

Side effects from the various colorectal cancer chemo regimes are definitely there, but while everyone is different, for the most part not what they present in TV shows / movies. Xeloda alone is the easiest - hand foot syndrome is not fun, but also is manageable.

You are fearful of chemo which is totally understandable. Please remember that during a course of treatment the oncologist may likely reduce the dose one or more times to mitigate side effects. Also, chemo is not a "Yes I'd do the whole course" or "No I won't do any" - you can always stop if the side effects are too bad.

Take care, and best wishes as you make your decision.

Yes... Dr did mention if the side effect is being too serious, may reduce the dosage ..

Thank you ! Hope we can make up our mind for the decision ..
40M

esuperbaby

Postby esuperbaby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:34 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:I did the 14 days on 7 days off and frankly, by day 11 or so, I wanted to be done. It honestly wasn't that bad though and between cycles, I felt great. The one thing that can make the side effects of Xeloda worse is consuming too much folic acid. If memory serves me correctly, you are not in the USA. If so, that may be a good thing. In the USA/Canada, our grain is fortified with folic acid so eating things like cereal, crackers, bread, pasta, etc. will contain large amounts of folic acid. Let me clarify a bit. Folic acid allows the 5FU (what Xeloda is broken down into) to remain in the body longer. With INFUSED 5FU, that is important which is why leucovorin (a derivative of folic acid) is given with infusions. However, with Xeloda, because one takes it on a daily basis, no folic acid/leucovorin is needed. So, my advice would be to:

stop all multivitamins as (at least in the USA) they all contain the recommended daily amount of folic acid
read labels carefully and look for how much folic acid is in a serving.
if your grains are also fortified with folic acid, you don't have to avoid everything.....just watch the carbo overload!

As for the hand/foot syndrome.....I never got it. I was on Xeloda for 5 weeks during radiation (first week was with infusion.....HATED it) and in the next 5 months, I also was free and clear of the hand/foot. I was very proactive and used a TON of lotions/creams multiple times a day to help avoid it.

As for working, I wasn't working at the time but my side effects were no worse than premenstrual cramps. A warm heating pad and a little nap was all that I needed. In fact, keeping a 'normal' routine was extremely beneficial for me. I still drove carpool and taught my son how to drive. The household chores were still done although I did get out of the dishes (yeah!). Most times, cancer patients just want to be NORMAL and I would recommend trying the Xeloda and try to continue your regular routine.

One last thing to ask your onc about is trying Xeloda on an newer protocol.....7 days on.....7 days off. You would still do the required amount of Xeloda but the day 11 or so 'feeling yucky' part doesn't get to you. I've known a few people who have been on this scheduling and have been able to work, feel fine and have medically done just fine on it. At the very least, talk to your onc about it.

Honestly, while I know chemo isn't something anyone WANTS to do....I would seriously tell you to do it. It's good that your doc is open to Xeloda as opposed to infused 5FU...no port needed, no minor surgical procedure to place port, no pump, etc. It is doable and like all of us before you, we know that you can do it as well.
Best of luck with your decision

weisssoccermom, thanks for the valuable info!
Yes, you are correct. I’m from Asia.

Folic acid is not commondly added here so it should be good in this point.
How about vit. B6? Did you heard it helps the relieve the symptom?

The oncologist mentioned the typical protocol with 14days medial + 7 days rest. Thanks for your tips and I will ask the oncologist in next consultation, if 7 days + 7 days can be considered.

The Oncologist mentioned Xelonda is relatively a chemo not having strong side effect. Same as you guys said, it may create uncomfortable but most people can manage that ..

We will meet another oncologist Tmr and hopefully we can make up our mind.

Frankly, now I accept Xelonda than earlier .. after receiving all your kind comment and experience ..
40M

esuperbaby

Postby esuperbaby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Beckster wrote:
esuperbaby wrote:

I would like to weigh in on three things....first, right sided colon cancer is different than left sided and rectal cancer. My oncologist told me that if I had a recurrence, they would be less options for chemo agents. Second, was your pathology done at a major cancer center....many Stage II have had a different pathology outcome when they sought out a second opinion...viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60639&start=15
Third...were you tested for MSI? If you are MSI deficient, you would not need chemo because 5/FU could cause more harm then good.

You need to advocate for yourself and make sure that you get ALL the information needed to make a decision. I did have hand/foot syndrome from Xeloda and my onc adjusted my treatment plan. Yes...it is going to be an inconvience, but for me, it was worth it. LVI is subjective, but it is considered a precurser to lymph node metatsis. If you are struggling to make a decision, than you need more answers!

Thanks for your reply.

Would you pls advise a bit more on first point.
What’s the prognosis of right colon compared left colon or rectum ? My case is right colon.

For the 2nd opinion in pathology report, I wish I can but seems here is not too possible ... : (
I did ask the oncologist yesterday .

We checked on the MSI and it’s negative. So, maybe that’s why chemo is also recommended.

Thank you
40M

Beckster

Postby Beckster » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:38 am

I am right sided too....When I met with my onc, we discussed the bilogical difference between right and left (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5768473/). In stages I-III, chemo is the same for both sides; however, if a right sided I-III. has a recurrence (now stage IV), it limits chemo agents because some do not work on right sided and I would be limited on what they can use. I put some limks for you to read..... I hope this helps clarify your question. One important thing to remember is correct staging...for example, your tumor was T3 and a second look from a major cancer center might put it at T4 and Grade 2 might upgrade to G3. This is what happened to the person on the link in the previous post. I do not want to scare or confuse you, I just want you to have accurate information.

https://www.practiceupdate.com/content/ ... mors/63276

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5662378/

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... tic_review
57/F
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda
6/17,12/17,6/18,12/18,6/19,12/19,12/20,12/21 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1 9/19 2.6 12/19 2.8 6/20 3.0 12/20 2.7 6/21 2.9,[color=#000000]12/21 2.7[/color]
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17, 11/19,11/21 :D

esuperbaby

Postby esuperbaby » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:04 am

Dear all,

I have seen 2 Oncologist and both suggested to go for the 8 cycles Xelonda .. they explained the side effect as you guys and reassurance that most people can tolerate this period ..

So, probably I would make up my mind and go for the chemo “journey”

Thanks again for all your support and pls recommend further tips if any.. so far, I marked down the below:

- drink more water
- apply more cream on hand and foot
- avoid too much folic acid

Thank you again and you all really too kind !

Best Regards,
Esupeebaby
40M

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:20 am

I'd like to give you one more piece to contemplate. IMO, Xeloda allows the patient to be more NORMAL. Right now, you're having a myriad of emotions and for most cancer patients, trying to be as 'normal' as possible is the ultimate goal. Yes, it's nice to be pampered but most patients generally don't want to be singled out, act like someone who is really ill or look like it.

With Xeloda, you don't have to tell anyone you're taking the pills. It's between you and the pharmacist (or whomever you get them from). There is no pump, no minor surgery to place the port, etc. When you are done....you're done. Sure, there will still be onc visits and blood draws.....there would be those with any chemo protocol....but with just the oral form, YOU are in control. Even having some 'control' during your journey is a POSITIVE thing.

It sounds as tough you've decided that Xeloda is the best option for you and that's great!I It isn't that bad and considering the other options you could have been given, it really is very mild. Very very rarely are there long term side effects. Yes, you might have a little queasiness but generally it is very tolerable. The neuropathy that you may have read about is caused by the oxi, not the Xeloda. Sure, there are always those patients that have the 'out of the ordinary' experience with any drug but you should not anticipate problems.

Take a deep breath.....get yourself mentally ready for this journey and keep coming here for more support and to let us know how you are doing.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

esuperbaby

Postby esuperbaby » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 am

weisssoccermom wrote:I'd like to give you one more piece to contemplate. IMO, Xeloda allows the patient to be more NORMAL. Right now, you're having a myriad of emotions and for most cancer patients, trying to be as 'normal' as possible is the ultimate goal. Yes, it's nice to be pampered but most patients generally don't want to be singled out, act like someone who is really ill or look like it.

With Xeloda, you don't have to tell anyone you're taking the pills. It's between you and the pharmacist (or whomever you get them from). There is no pump, no minor surgery to place the port, etc. When you are done....you're done. Sure, there will still be onc visits and blood draws.....there would be those with any chemo protocol....but with just the oral form, YOU are in control. Even having some 'control' during your journey is a POSITIVE thing.

It sounds as tough you've decided that Xeloda is the best option for you and that's great!I It isn't that bad and considering the other options you could have been given, it really is very mild. Very very rarely are there long term side effects. Yes, you might have a little queasiness but generally it is very tolerable. The neuropathy that you may have read about is caused by the oxi, not the Xeloda. Sure, there are always those patients that have the 'out of the ordinary' experience with any drug but you should not anticipate problems.

Take a deep breath.....get yourself mentally ready for this journey and keep coming here for more support and to let us know how you are doing.

Thanks weisssoccermom!!

Yes, now I’m more ready than few days back about having Xelonda ... all in my mind for chemo seems fron TV and so I afraid it’s out of the control ..

Will update after I start and sure still need you and others support and help to pass this through !

Thanks again !!
40M

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am

I found exercising to be beneficial during treatment. Since I live close to a state park, I'd drive over and hike for 30-45 minutes about 5 times a week. It's a beautiful park, so it would elevate my mood, and the terrain wasn't to challenging. Good both mentally and physically.

Best Regards,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

esuperbaby

Postby esuperbaby » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:29 pm

peanut_8 wrote:I found exercising to be beneficial during treatment. Since I live close to a state park, I'd drive over and hike for 30-45 minutes about 5 times a week. It's a beautiful park, so it would elevate my mood, and the terrain wasn't to challenging. Good both mentally and physically.

Best Regards,
peanut

Thanks for the tips!

However, would hiking create finction on the foot and having the hand foot syndrome ? Thanks
40M

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”