Recent scans and nodes

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpbser

Recent scans and nodes

Postby mpbser » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:20 am

Finally got to see my husband's CT-angiogram report from Dec 26nd at MSK. Wow, what a thorough job the radiology department did! I am super impressed!

A couple of things on there concern me beyond what we already knew (possible mets in segment 6 and caudate lobe of liver):

- ABDOMINOPELVIC NODES: Scattered mildly prominent periportal nodes; for example, portal caval 1.8 x 1.1 cm node, and more superior anterior periportal 2.0 x 1.1 cm node. Possibly reactive. (Did not say "follow up or surveillance recommended" but still concerning a bit.... I think these were noted on a previous scan a while back and I don't think they have enlarged much, if at all. I will go back and compare if possible.)

- Two punctate left upper quadrant soft tissue nodules, possibly splenules (splenic tissue outside body of spleen "accessory spleens"), possibly implants. Follow-up recommended. (A little concerning)

- Couple of nonspecific punctate left pulmonary nodules, possibly post inflammatory, possibly metastatic; surveillance recommended. (This was NOT the recommendation from MGH. These I can be certain MGH would overlook these after the second CT at local cancer center in November showed no growth. Not hugely concerned but still...)

- Small intraluminal gallstone. Punctate nodularity right renal calculus. (No concern.)

I guess all in all no reason to freak out. Friday's PET scan will be the one to watch!
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

juliej

Re: Recent scans and nodes

Postby juliej » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:38 pm

mpbser wrote:Finally got to see my husband's CT-angiogram report from Dec 26nd at MSK. Wow, what a thorough job the radiology department did! I am super impressed!

A couple of things on there concern me beyond what we already knew (possible mets in segment 6 and caudate lobe of liver):

- ABDOMINOPELVIC NODES: Scattered mildly prominent periportal nodes; for example, portal caval 1.8 x 1.1 cm node, and more superior anterior periportal 2.0 x 1.1 cm node. Possibly reactive. (Did not say "follow up or surveillance recommended" but still concerning a bit.... I think these were noted on a previous scan a while back and I don't think they have enlarged much, if at all. I will go back and compare if possible.)

- Two punctate left upper quadrant soft tissue nodules, possibly splenules (splenic tissue outside body of spleen "accessory spleens"), possibly implants. Follow-up recommended. (A little concerning)

- Couple of nonspecific punctate left pulmonary nodules, possibly post inflammatory, possibly metastatic; surveillance recommended. (This was NOT the recommendation from MGH. These I can be certain MGH would overlook these after the second CT at local cancer center in November showed no growth. Not hugely concerned but still...)

- Small intraluminal gallstone. Punctate nodularity right renal calculus. (No concern.)

I guess all in all no reason to freak out. Friday's PET scan will be the one to watch!

Nice detailed report, as is typical for MSK!

- Note the radiologist says "possibly reactive" for abdominopelvic nodes. I wouldn't be too concerned about them at this point.

- Accessory spleens aren't common but neither are they rare. There is a whole set of anatomical differences in human bodies that are just that - "different" but not dangerous.

- If those pulmonary nodules aren't changing, that's a good sign they might be just benign granulomas. Lungs are hardest to read because we inhale so much junk, have scaring from lung infections, etc. See if anyone describes the shape of the nodules. That's often a clue. Cancer nodules frequently have spiculated borders.

You're right, no reason to freak out. Best of luck with Friday's PET scan!

Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”