Finally got staging and plan for DH, rectal cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Elove642

Finally got staging and plan for DH, rectal cancer

Postby Elove642 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:08 am

We got the MRI results back and the staging is listed as T3d. No other letters or numbers. I know that means it has penetrated the wall of his rectum more than 15mm.

No staging having anything to do with nodes, and from what I can tell, that is because there was only one node commented on and it was enlarged to 8mm and it’s not considered until it’s 10mm?

The report lists the size of the tumor(7cm), mesorectal lymph node morphology: a rounded 8mm short axis node in the 5 o’clock position, and how far from the anal verge(4cm).

It also states:
There is a nearly circumferential tumor predominantly involving the posterior wall of the rectum extending from the 3:00 position to the 10:00 position. This lesion shows a high degree of T2 signal that is suggestive of underlying mucinous components. The posterior wall of the rectum is markedly indestinct with multiplentumoral expressions that extend dorsally, some as far as 2cm on postcontrast imaging.
Anteriorly, signal abnormality comes within 6mm of the mesorectal fascia. Although posterioly the margins are difficult to delineate, abnormal signal comes within 5mm of the deep pelvic fascia posteriorly.

And then it says:
T stage-T3d:tumor extends >15mm beyond the muscularis propria.
Extramural vascular invasion:yes

The plan is 8 treatments of oxaliplatin chemo followed by 5FU in a pump for two days, every other week. Then radiation and chemo pill for I think six weeks, then hopefully surgery.

Does all this sound right as far as treatment some of you have had, and does the diagnosis sound curable? I have read a lot but wanted to get actual survival stories and opinions here.
Wife to DH age 42
Cholonoscopy 11/12 for rectal bleeding, found mass in rectum
Path report 11/20 says signet ring cell adenocarcinoma
MRI staged as T3d
CEA 0.5
start oxaliplatin/5FU chemo 12/18

Punky44

Re: Finally got staging and plan for DH, rectal cancer

Postby Punky44 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Your plan sounds very similar to my mom’s—they want to be aggressive with her Stage 3 diagnosis and do neoadjuvant chemo (the one you described) for 8 rounds. Then she is a candidate for short-course radiation followed by surgery.

Stage 3 is definitely beatable (curable)!
Caregiver to my amazing mom (68 at dx)
10/1/18 DX with rectal cancer; CEA 17
T3N2M0
Total neoadjuvant therapy:
8 rounds Folfox 11/5/18 - 2/11/19
Short course radiation 3/14/19 - 3/20/19
Robotically assisted laparoscopic LAR 3/21/19
Pathology report says yT2N0M0 with 0/38 nodes
6/28/19 Reversal and port out
CEA 2.1; 1.9; 2.6; 2.8; 2.3; 2.4; 3.0; 3.4; 3.1; 3.4; 3.0; 3.1; 2.6
Latest update: 8/21/23 Clear CT with CEA 2.6!

Me: 34, first colonoscopy 11/16/18—normal! Come back in 5 years.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”