Colon Polyp History

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
TacoLover

Colon Polyp History

Postby TacoLover » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Hello,

New to this forum and would either like some advice or if someone can share any experience that may be similar to mine.

First of all, I do not have colon cancer but I do have colon polyp history as below:

2011 - Was having severe pain issues after traveling abroad. Saw a GI doc and he recommended a colonoscopy, which at the time scared me but was a blessing in disguise. 3 polyps were removed and one of them was precancerous and close to one inch wide.. so rather on the large side. A tattoo was marked next to the large one.

2012 - Had a follow up colonoscopy by a different Doc and the large polyp from 2011 was not completely removed and regrew so it was removed. Biopsy showed it was still precancerous.

2014 - Had another follow up scope (with a different Doc this time) and this one turned out to be a clean scope with no findings. Around 2013/2014 is around the time when I stopped eating red meat for good opting for fish, chicken/turkey or veggies instead.

Dec. 2018 - Had a follow up scope today (with a different Doc, so 4th one b/c I keep moving around) and it went well but a small polyp was found (and removed) in a different area from where the large one was found 7 years back. Which is a good and bad thing. I'm not going to worry about this but I was expecting to have a clean scope today. I'll be getting the biopsy/pathology report in a week.

With that said, some questions I have for all you lovely people:

1) Do you think this polyp uncovered today was missed in 2014 b/c it was too small to detect?

2) I wonder if I'm more susceptible to getting polyps than the average person? I don't have a family history of colon polyps or colon cx. I'm wondering if this latest polyp could be caused be my red meat diet history before I made changes in 2013/2014. I'm a firm believer from reading medical documentation that the Western diet with red meat is the main cause for these polyps.

3) With respect to diet, I do at times still eat fast food, like french fries, turkey tacos, fried chicken, etc. But I like to eat my baked goods too like cookies, pies and banana bread sometimes. Even though I don't eat red meat per se, do you think I need to cut the fast food and baked goods out as well?

4) I'm wondering how often I need to get colonoscopies in the future. Today's report says I need to have a follow up one in 5 years and hopefully the pathology report comes back as non-cancerous. Would you all think due to my history that I have to get a scope every 5 years?

5) Is there anyone on this board who has a history of polyps after a few scopes and then was able to have clean colonoscopies for the next 5-10+ years? If so, what lifestyle changes did you make? Did you become vegetarian?

Any assistance at all with my questions would be greatly appreciated.

KimT

Re: Colon Polyp History

Postby KimT » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:58 pm

We are not doctors. These are questions you need to ask your doctor. We are colon cancer survivors or loved ones of survivors. We are by no means qualified to answer medical questions. Best of luck.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 pm

TacoLover, how old are you?

Anyway, diet is overrated and its change would not have an immediate impact on a risk of getting a cancer.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

TacoLover

Postby TacoLover » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi Utwo,

I’m 47 and had my first colonoscopy a few months before turning 40. I’m not here to cause any dissent per the previous posters response but some of my questions were not medically related. In fact, I inquired if anyone made lifestyle changes that had a successful positive impact to prevent polyps from forming in more recent colonoscopies.

Any feedback or new information anyone could share would be appreciated.

Much happiness and good health to all :)

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 am

Hi Taco lover,
My first scope at 48 ended with a dx of stage 3c colon ca into six nodes. Since my surgery and chemo therapy I have had around 13 colonoscopies, half of those resulted in polyps. I had my last scope two years ago after a 3 year wait between scopes. My gi was certain he would not find anything but he found four polyps between 4 and 12 mm. He then suggested that I never go more than two years between scopes. I am due for another in april next year. All of the polyps last time were tubular adenomas . Some showed displaysia but no cancer. This Jan I reach my 21st anniversary post cancer. Vigilance remains my best tool against cancer. Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

TacoLover

Postby TacoLover » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the wealth of information and glad to see you overcome this challenge. I'm very happy for you. I too then must be vigilant and continue my screening according to my doctors' recommendations.

I found this great article (https://www.veganlifestylecoach.com/colon-cancer/) re: being vegan and colon cancer. Although vegan may be a bit extreme for me, I'm seriously considering going pescatarian since I already don't eat red meat.

One other thing, have you cut out alcohol completely? I drink very occasionally like once every 1-2 weeks but am considering either cutting it out completely or just drinking wine.

Thanks again..Jerry

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi Tacolover,
I have had to change several parts of my diet I haven't touched alcohol since 1998, I don't smoke and I avoid complex carbohydrates. One of my post chemo problems was severe protein urea ( protein loss thru the kidney filters.) my then nephrologist thought it was minimal change disease of the kidneys. He treated me with 75mg daily of prednisone for over two years with taper. It did not help my kidneys but did put me into type two diabetes. I get by on just metformin for the type two and a diet of no carbs (no bread ,no pasta, no cakes ,no rice or cereals.) I eat a lot of fish but I do eat red meat and a lot of fruit and vegetables. I was 48 at dx and I turn 69 in april. I live alone and still work four days a week. My nephrologist did 3 kidney biopsies and all he can say is that my problems are auto-immune of an unknown type and cause tho he suspects the chemo is responsible. Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”