Ladies what did you do with your hair during chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ginabeewell

Re: Ladies what did you do with your hair during chemo?

Postby ginabeewell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:55 pm

margiej wrote:Oddly, my hair seems to be getting darker and darker. I am ordering one of these hairpieces right now...it they had one with a few strands of gray, it would be more realistic!
Thanks for the great idea!
Margie

I sent in a swatch of hair so they could match it. The piece was perfect. I also got a real hair wig topper that they said matched best - but it's not a match so I am taking it to my stylist to see if she can fix it up. If not, it's going back, because it was more like $375!
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 am

My wife's hair started to thin most w hen she was on Folfiri. It was fine on FolFox. Her hair was naturally curly, and was salt and pepper she turned grey in her 40's. It was pretty tight curl she had. During chemo it started to straighten and eventually she found a wig that looked pretty damn close to her hair style. Interestingly when they removed the 5-FU and added Erbitux to the Irinotecan and Avastin her hair started to come in thicker and darker. It apparently happens with Erbitux. In the last 6 months my wife was in a clinical trial and they do the infusions for that in a different center then normal at the hospital where the trial took place. So the people there were all getting different trial drugs. I usually accompanied my wife when she had a change in chemo, because you don't know how the drugs might react. While there for her first infusion there was another women there getting a rather vile looking infusion (Dark brown solution) and she had lost all her hair. But rather than a wig, she had a rather cool looking tattoo. She wasn't a young hipster either. She was I believe a few years older than my wife if I am any judge. So - people compensate in many ways. I am sure you will find something to satisfy your needs. BTW I believe there are often programs to help pay for wigs for patients undergoing chemo. My wife's was very good looking and I don't believe she paid very much for it.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

mariane

Postby mariane » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:09 pm

I cut my hair short but longer than pixie cut to cover the bald patches. I started to color my hair with herbal cassia. IT is a natural conditioner. My hair became a little thicker and I survived the year of chemo. After I stopped FOLFIRINOXthe hair improved a little. It is long and decent now. I am still using cassia to color it.
mom of now 14 years old twins, dx @ 40 in 6/2015 with upper rectal cancer, 10+ liver mets, CEA 140
chemo: 8/2015 - 10/2016 - 4xFOLFIRINOX, 2xFOLFOX, 8xFOLFIRI, 10x5FU, HAI pump -12xFUDR
4 surgeries, complete pathological response
CEA<2 since 10/2015
NED since May 2016

I praise God for every day with my family!

cgb13

Postby cgb13 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm not a woman, so my answer isn't the most productive, but I buzzed my hair to the chagrin of my wife. I didn't lose my hair completely, but it thinned out quite a bit, and have the short hair made it less noticeable. Surprisingly, as it has grown back, it's come in much darker than originally.
Chris
35yo male - father of 1 (infant)
Dx Stage IIIc - T3N2M0 8/15/18
8 bi weekly FOLFOX treatments done 12/11/18
1/23/19 - 3/1/2019 - Radiation + Xeloda (4,000 mg per day - 4 pills in morning and evening) - 28 days

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”