What questions should I ask?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
oceans
Facebook Username: Ty Wingate

What questions should I ask?

Postby oceans » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi everyone. I have an appointment to see the oncologist on Thursday and I’m not sure what questions to ask. Can you guys please give me some ideas? I’m still in the dark about what is going on and any help would be greatly appreciated.

SGNYC

Re: What questions should I ask?

Postby SGNYC » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi Oceans,

I’m hopeful that your lung nodules are not disease. Provided they aren’t you may head to surgery.

Depending on what they see, my husband who was Dx stage 4 with a single liver and single lung Met did 5 rounds of Folfox prior to surgery and so I would advise you to understand the order they will proceed and the objective for total rounds of chemo and/or radiation.

Also, get genetic testing done ASAP if it hasn’t already.

Depending on treatment type, your dos and donts list will somewhat differ but I would get explicit instructions and follow them to the smallest detail, including diet, water intake, rest, expectations for energy levels (ie my husband was told he would be very tired certain days but not so tired that he couldn’t at least take a 2 min walk around house and that level of fatigue was a warning sign to call in).
Wife to DH, 44
DX July 18 - RC at Rectosigmoid
Adenocarcinoma, Mod diff
T3N1M1
Stage IV (but MSK said not a true Stage IV at Dx)
Pos nodes: 1/18
1 Liver Met and 1 Lung Met - liver Met dead tissue at surgery, hence MSK M1 status
Baseline CEA value of 25, now 3.4
LAR (Robotic)/Liver resect(dead tissue), VATS lung - clear margins
Temp Ileo- Reversal Feb 19
Folfox - 5 Rounds Neoadj, 3 rounds Adj, then discontinued Oxali and 4 rounds just 5FU
NED and Reversal Feb 2019 - clear contrast CT, clear contrast MRI

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”