Constipation

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
RenLew

Constipation

Postby RenLew » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi everyone,
My 4 year anniversary is coming up. I was stage 3c and the tumor was in my sigmoid. I did not have a colostomy. I have been NED since surgery.
About a month ago, I began experiencing constipation. I chalked it up to my diet. We were remodeling a kitchen and eating out a lot.
My kitchen is funtional again and I have been focused on fiber intake. The constipation continues and it is starting to worry me because that was the symptom that brought me to have a colonoscopy- that led to my diagnosis.
My last scan and CEA was in October and clear.
My last colonoscopy was 1 1/2 years ago. I am not due for another until spring.
Since diagnosis, I have always been prone to constipation. Even during chemo, I had to take Senna on those days.
Anyone have any recommendations? I made an appt with the gastro but I can’t get in until January.
Renee
Renee
Age 45
Sigmoid colon resection 12/31/14
Stage 3b or 3c
Post placement 1/28/15

MissMolly

Re: Constipation

Postby MissMolly » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:35 pm

RenLew:
It can often be the case that abdominal surgery involving the intestines can lead to motility challenges post-op.

Scar tissue can cause narrowing of segments of the intestines. Scar tissue can also cause tethering of a segment of intestine to the abdominal wall or adjacent organ or adjacent segment of intestine. Both scenarios will slow the flow of digestive material and impede the ease of normal bowel elimination.

Surgery and resection can also impact the functionality of the intestinal tract. That is, the autonomic muscular contractions that propel digestive material down and through the intestinal tract can be affected. The intestines, in particular, do not like to be handled and manipulated. The highly coordinated role of hormones that give instruction to the intestines can be disrupted, which can lead to diarrhea or constipation and every combination inbetween. Bottom line: The functionality of the intestines is adversely affected.

Options:
A. Taking a small dose of an osmotic laxative on a daily basis can provide ready benefit. These include MiraLax and Milk of Magnesia (MoM).

For those who want a more holistic approach to constipation, use of a magnesium supplement can do the trick. “Natural Calm” (by Vitality Holistics) is a powdered form of magnesium citrate. It is available on Amazon, Whole Foods, and holistic pharmacies/grocery stores.

Osmotic laxatives draw water into the intestines and provide a kinetic/muscular kick (the magnesium component) to nudge the intestines along. Osmotic laxatives can be used daily without risk of laxative dependency or “lazy colon” (as can be the case with stimulant laxatives, including the Senna tablets that you are currently taking). Stimulant laxatives should be avoided.

Experiment with daily dosing that is best for you. Titrate use of MiraLax or MoM or Natural Calm that provides comfortable daily elimination. 1/2 a capful, for example. It takes about 48 hours for the first dose to have measured effect.

B. Movement
The intestines are a muscular tube of smooth/involuntary muscle. Like the muscles of your arms and legs, the intestines take benefit from systemic body exercise and movement to enhance intestinal motility.

Go for a walk, daily. Practice simple yoga postures. Yoga has a unique ability to act as a form of intestinal massage. The stretching and rotation serves to mobilize deep tissues, including the intestines.

C. Stool softeners
Stool softeners are less effective then most people realize. Stool softeners (ex. Colase) draws water into the large intestine but provides no motility enhancement. The net effect can be stool that becomes heavy with water that sits stagnetly in the lower colon, like heavy wet cement.

I hope you feel more comfortable as your intestines begin to move along.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

RenLew

Re: Constipation

Postby RenLew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:37 am

Karen,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I will definitely try some of these suggestions. You are a wealth of knowledge!
Renee
Age 45
Sigmoid colon resection 12/31/14
Stage 3b or 3c
Post placement 1/28/15

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”