Adenocarcinoma and crohn's after surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ksraja

Adenocarcinoma and crohn's after surgery

Postby ksraja » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:56 am

Hi my wife had a surgery last month on 10 oct 2018, due to stomach pain.
Doc's conducted surgery and remover 81cm of small intestine which was disease and set for biopsy (without knowing its infected with Cancer and crohn’s).
Biopsy stats that sheis having PT3, PN2 adenocarcinoma, 2 * 2 * 1.37 cm tumor, Grade 2 (Moderately differentiated), tumor invades through the muscularis propria into perimesenteric subserosal soft tissues,
Regional Lymph nodes are involved by carcinoma
Lymph nodes examined: 13
Lymph nodes involved :3
lymphovascular invasion identified

Pathology impression:

small intestine (Segment resection) Adenocarcinoma, Grade 2 Moderately differentiated 2cm, PT3 ,PN2.
Background predisposing disease: Crohn's Disease

It’s been 1month post operation she is good, she taken her first chemo and doing good.
I want clarification on few things:
1. Dose cancer completely out of her body after surgery?
2. Is it only life extending or cured or curable?
3. Do Crohn’s still be in her body after surgery? Or Does it come back after some time?
4. What she has to go through here after?

mobrouser

Re: Adenocarcinoma and crohn's after surgery

Postby mobrouser » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:09 pm

ksraja wrote:.....
3. Do Crohn’s still be in her body after surgery? Or Does it come back after some time?

1) I don't think anyone can answer that question. Since lymph nodes were involved there is the possibility of rogue cancer cells having been spread through the lymph system, thus the need for chemo. (Where there any scans done to look for signs of cancer elsewhere?)
2) Again, I don't think anyone can answer that question. The oncologist likely said that at a stage III diagnosis the intent of chemo is for a cure, but there are no guarantees.
3) Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about Crohn's other there is a significant link to it and colo-rectal cancer.
4) It depends on where she is being treated. While typically initial treatment and chemo may be the same, follow up and observation protocols may differ from one cancer centre to another or from one country to another.

I'm glad to hear that she has recovered well from surgery and has done her first chemo infusion without any apparent challenges.
You may want to try to focus on one day at a time for now until the end of her treatments as looking too far forward can induce a lot of stress that she probably doesn't want to deal with right now.
There are many threads on the forum with our many experiences as either a cancer patient or as a caregiver to a patient that can give you a wealth of information. You can use the search function at the top of the page to search the threads, or do as I did and just type in random page numbers in the box at the top right and read anything that seems of interest.

Cheers,
8) mob
CC Dx 102017 age 58
Lap. right hemi-colectomy Dec 2017
Adenocarcinoma ascending colon – 6cm x 6cm x 2cm, Low Grade, penetrates to peritoneum
T4a N2a M0, Stage IIIC
lymph nodes 6 positive out of 18
FOLFOX start Jan/18 end Aug/8 (felt like a year)
CEA - 01/15/18-2.8; 07/29/18-5.3; 09/19-2.4; 03/20-2.7; 09/20-2.9
CT scan 08/18 - Clear; 10/19 - Clear; * 10/20 - 8mm & 6mm nodules in liver
PET scan 09/18 (thought about bringing the cat :wink: ) - Clear
Colonoscopy Dec 7 2018 - Clear - Next in 3 years?

ksraja

Postby ksraja » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:44 am

mobrouser wrote:
ksraja wrote:.....

1) I don't think anyone can answer that question. Since lymph nodes were involved there is the possibility of rogue cancer cells having been spread through the lymph system, thus the need for chemo. (Where there any scans done to look for signs of cancer elsewhere?)
2) Again, I don't think anyone can answer that question. The oncologist likely said that at a stage III diagnosis the intent of chemo is for a cure, but there are no guarantees.
3) Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about Crohn's other there is a significant link to it and colo-rectal cancer.
4) It depends on where she is being treated. While typically initial treatment and chemo may be the same, follow up and observation protocols may differ from one cancer centre to another or from one country to another.

I'm glad to hear that she has recovered well from surgery and has done her first chemo infusion without any apparent challenges.
You may want to try to focus on one day at a time for now until the end of her treatments as looking too far forward can induce a lot of stress that she probably doesn't want to deal with right now.
There are many threads on the forum with our many experiences as either a cancer patient or as a caregiver to a patient that can give you a wealth of information. You can use the search function at the top of the page to search the threads, or do as I did and just type in random page numbers in the box at the top right and read anything that seems of interest.

Cheers,
8) mob

Hi Mob

Thanks for your support

Capercrohnieileo
Facebook Username: Jayne Olson

Postby Capercrohnieileo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:39 pm

I can answer about Crohn's. Yes she still has it. If it is cut out she is in remission but Crohn's can occur anywhere from gums to bum in the GI tract so it can return. Mine reappeared in my stomach after having my colon and rectum removed.
Severe Crohn's colitis jan 2015
Developed fistulas feb 2015
Open total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy (bye bye colon and rectum hello barbie butt) because of fistulas, Crohn's and crc risk May 5, 2017
Gastroduodenal Crohn's Nov 1, 2017
Severe Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Nov 9, 2017 GES showed 70 % remaining in stomach at 4 hrs. Normal is <10%
Jejunostomy (J tube) surgery Oct 17, 2018.
Didn't go so well. Small bowel obstruction found Oct 26, 2018.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”