Folfiri A Second Time

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CrossfitChick1980

Folfiri A Second Time

Postby CrossfitChick1980 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:39 am

Recently, my DH had the therasphere procedure on his liver and it seems it did not provide any help. My husband is currently in Lonsurf but his oncologist wanted to put him on a more aggressive chemo - Folfiri w/Avastin. He has already had this type of chemo in the past so I wanted advice from people who have received the same chemo regimen twice. Was it successful? Symptoms worse? Anything information you can provide would be helpful!
Caregiver to DH dx with Adenocarcinoma of Small Intestine
Mar14- Small Bowel Resection (dx @31)
May14-Oct14: Folfox
Apr15- Liver mets
Jun15- Xeloda/Oxalyplatin
Oct15- Folfiri/Avastin
Dec15- Liver Mets, lymph nodes shrinking.
Apr16- Liver mets gone! lymph nodes stable
Jun16- Avastin/Xeloda (MSS, KRAS)
Jul16- Maintenance Chemo
Jun18- Cancer is back in liver
Sep18- Lonsurf
Oct18- Therasphere txment (failed)
Dec18- Folfiri/Avastin
Dec 22 2018- He is no longer suffering- My Love is sleeping in Peace

Tim UK

Re: Folfiri A Second Time

Postby Tim UK » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi

No answers I'm afraid ... just another person asking the same question. I'm about to start a "re-challenge" with folfoxiri plus avastin, having last tried it 3 years ago. I'll share my experience, but would also love to hear from others.

Best wishes,
Tim
https://youtu.be/qoQbY4A5RNA
05/15 L hemi-colectomy
05/15 Dx st 3 T4N2M0 @43
kids: now 13, 10
BRAFm mucinous - KRASw
06/15 liver mets
06/15 CEA 9, CA19-9 400+
06/15 - 09/15 6 x FOLFOXIRI+Avastin
09/15 markers 4/50
10/15 drain-site met
11/15 CRS+HIPEC
1-8/16 BRAF triplet (dabrafenib, panitumumab, trametinib)
CEA;CA19-9: range 16;650 to 1;36 back to 4;135
8/16 progression
10/16-6/18 : NCT02650713
7/18-9/18 : anti-GITR; ERK inhib
10/18-4/19: folfoxiri+avastin
7/19-9/19 enco+cetux+Bini
10-19 starting regonivo

rp1954

Plans B and C

Postby rp1954 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Since no one else has tackled this, I'm going to take a shot at this.

First, I view these things as a spectrum of individual problems to be solved, and coordinated in the attack if possible.
A. more chemo intensity but less chemo side effects
B. more chemo continuity e.g. everyday vs cycles and closer to surgery itself
C. more surgery(s) for localized cleanups

A. A number of people of the boards have used nutrition and supplements to reduce their side effects and somewhat improve their functionality and immune function. One member used IV vitamin C and K3 (+some supplements) to be able to continue Folfiri+Avastin an extra 2-3 years. Additional testing for cheap markers, mostly blood testing is crucial.

Some have used celecoxib and / or cimetidine to improve chemo performance, where cimetidine advantages are to the fraction that have CA199 and CSLEX1 experessing tumors - presumably often KRAS mutants.

We used as many generic drugs and potent supplements as possible, "experimentally", to maintain 5FU's kill power across all 8 years of chemo, where solo 5FU normally poops out in months, under a year. By careful combinations of the supplements and mild drugs by testing, we could intensify (immuno)chemo without much side effects and either reverse the tumor marker(s) rise or dissolve the masses (as scanned).

B. We used continuous immunochemo to address several issues of gaps common with cycles, surgery and vacations/break downs. Others have used less aggressive approaches to reduce their side effect days and better maintain more common chemo schedules.

c. In part, we did this by immune attack at the start, with a massive immune/apopotic response to cimetidine and many supplements, and partly, by surgical removal of the most resistant mets - the toughest mets could not resist cold steel.

We started the earliest possible, and so obtained small or contained residual mass(es) sooner, and thereby began a spiral of progress against multiple cancer sites. I have to admit that at 3 years (mild) chemo, I largely gave up hope of NED without chemo, but 8 years immunochemo has produced a substantial "chemo vacation" since June.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

CrossfitChick1980

Re: Folfiri A Second Time

Postby CrossfitChick1980 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you for your words of wisdom. Definitely looking into Celebrex with this Folfiri+Avastin regimen this time. Just now started becoming invested in supplements to help aid my DH. Wish I would have known all I know about supplement use that may have aided my husband when he was just in maintenance chemo.
Caregiver to DH dx with Adenocarcinoma of Small Intestine
Mar14- Small Bowel Resection (dx @31)
May14-Oct14: Folfox
Apr15- Liver mets
Jun15- Xeloda/Oxalyplatin
Oct15- Folfiri/Avastin
Dec15- Liver Mets, lymph nodes shrinking.
Apr16- Liver mets gone! lymph nodes stable
Jun16- Avastin/Xeloda (MSS, KRAS)
Jul16- Maintenance Chemo
Jun18- Cancer is back in liver
Sep18- Lonsurf
Oct18- Therasphere txment (failed)
Dec18- Folfiri/Avastin
Dec 22 2018- He is no longer suffering- My Love is sleeping in Peace

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”