Effect of meat (beef, chicken, and bacon) on rat colon carcinogenesis

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
peanut_8

Effect of meat (beef, chicken, and bacon) on rat colon carcinogenesis

Postby peanut_8 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Interesting study with results different than you might expect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2527479/
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

GrouseMan

Re: Effect of meat (beef, chicken, and bacon) on rat colon carcinogenesis

Postby GrouseMan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Nice study - but then again this is in rats. The Cancer vs read meat and process meat correlation is just that really. A statistician will tell you right up front correlation does not equate to causality. It just might be a coincidence that people that eat a lot of red meet or bacon, have other characteristics that at this time are unknown that are actually more directly responsible. As with all things moderation is the key. My wife was a carnivore and loved red nearly raw meat, and bacon. But I seriously doubt that had anything to do with her cancer. She was very healthy and physically fit (Training for a marathon at diagnosis). Turns out her uncle had FAPS and grew polyps like a farm. She never knew that. Additionally she was probably at risk because her parents smoked, and mother and father both developed cancers later in life, though neither was colon cancer.

Based on just reporting of her eating red meet - that would probably skew any statistical results to red meat rather than other environmental and genetic factors. These big diet studies are based on gathering questionaries' from thousands of people self reporting their behaviors, and family heath status that may simply naturally be skewed because they might not know or have no real idea about their family health status or have a good idea exactly what they eat week to week day to day. The best data would come from a long term nearly life time day to day journal of ones diet from 100's of thousands of people, that also included other measurable factors, such as blood tests, general health evaluations at regular intervals and very details family health records as well. Until these sorts of studies are done - I take diet vs cancer proclamations with a grain of salt (Which according to this study might be good for you)!

Good Luck, and thanks for the scientific paper. We seem to not see enough of these here anymore with DK gone, Maia, and Garbovatwin both MIA. Unfortunately - I am at least an hours drive from a quality library where I might discover these myself anymore. Maybe when I retire I can do more research again.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

peanut_8

Re: Effect of meat (beef, chicken, and bacon) on rat colon carcinogenesis

Postby peanut_8 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:35 pm

I appreciate your thoughts on the study, Grouseman.

Best Wishes
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”