Is colon cancer curable completely?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Junebayon
Facebook Username: June Gaeng

Is colon cancer curable completely?

Postby Junebayon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:02 am

Hi all. My fiance has been recently went through colonoscopy procedures and just went for the consultation few hours ago. Currently he blocked me and refused to talk to me, which really devastated me. I am not sure what's his condition, or anything the doctor told him during the consultation. But I really wanted to know is, let's say, if he does have it, is it curable on any stages, and what are the steps that I should accompany him to do to treat it? Please, I'd really want to know. Thanks. :cry:
Last edited by Junebayon on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rock_Robster

Re: Is colom cancer curable completely?

Postby Rock_Robster » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:18 am

Hi June, sorry to hear about this - i can see why that’s stressful and not knowing makes it harder, as clearly you care a lot about him. I know you didn’t ask about this, but if he did get bad news then he will processing it in his way, and as tough as it will be you may just have to give him a little space for now.

Re cancer specifically, doctors tend not to talk of “cure” because recurrence after treatment always remains a possibility - generally they speak more about ‘remission’ or NED (no evidence of disease). That said, early colon cancers (and even some advanced ones) are *very* effectively treatable, and there are some statistics that if a patient doesn’t have a recurrence within a certain number of years, they effectively have a similar recurrence risk as a person who didn’t have cancer.

In terms of accompanying him in treatment, my suggestion would be to offer him your assistance and company as much as he wants, and also (hard as it may be), respect if he wants to do some parts of it alone. As a 36 yo male I can attest that coming to terms with my diagnosis took some time, and the desire to play the ‘strong’ male role was definitely there (you just learn pretty quick to redefine what ‘strong’ means!).

Best of luck to you both; I hope that’s it’s nothing but in the unlikely event it’s not, you’ll do what needs to be done, and you can know that there’s some amazing people, resources and support out there to help you.
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

Junebayon

Re: Is colom cancer curable completely?

Postby Junebayon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:35 am

Rock_Robster wrote:Hi June, sorry to hear about this - i can see why that’s stressful and not knowing makes it harder, as clearly you care a lot about him. I know you didn’t ask about this, but if he did get bad news then he will processing it in his way, and as tough as it will be you may just have to give him a little space for now.

Re cancer specifically, doctors tend not to talk of “cure” because recurrence after treatment always remains a possibility - generally they speak more about ‘remission’ or NED (no evidence of disease). That said, early colon cancers (and even some advanced ones) are *very* effectively treatable, and there are some statistics that if a patient doesn’t have a recurrence within a certain number of years, they effectively have a similar recurrence risk as a person who didn’t have cancer.

In terms of accompanying him in treatment, my suggestion would be to offer him your assistance and company as much as he wants, and also (hard as it may be), respect if he wants to do some parts of it alone. As a 36 yo male I can attest that coming to terms with my diagnosis took some time, and the desire to play the ‘strong’ male role was definitely there (you just learn pretty quick to redefine what ‘strong’ means!).

Best of luck to you both; I hope that’s it’s nothing but in the unlikely event it’s not, you’ll do what needs to be done, and you can know that there’s some amazing people, resources and support out there to help you.

Thank you so much for your reply. I gained a little bit of confidence and the need to fight along with him. For now I'll just give him the time and space he need, and show him that he's not alone in this. Thank you again.

Lee

Re: Is colon cancer curable completely?

Postby Lee » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Junebayon wrote: . . . let's say, if he does have it, is it curable on any stages . . .

I'm coming up on a 15 years. They told me I was cured a few years back. I was an advanced stage III. At the time of my diagnoses, some people told me I had a 30% chance of being alive in 5 years. Believe me, a lot of advancement been made since my diagnoses. Today I believe they would give me 70% to 80% chance of being alive in 5 years. There are many of us survivors out there. Many that were given months to live, got aggressive treatment at a major cancer hospital or cancer treatment center are very much alive today. So don't give up the hope.

A few things, avoid Dr. Google, a lot of info is out of date or flat out wrong. There is a wealth of information here, and a lot of support. Believe me, we understand where you are coming from.

I highly recommend people getting a 2nd opinion, especially if he is dealing with a stage III or IV diagnoses.

Let him know, don't let an Onc give surgical advice and don't let a surgeon give Onc advice.

I hope in time, he includes you in. I don't know what I would have done with out all my friends and family. Cancer has a way of bring out your true friends.

Feel free to vent your fears and frustrations here. Hope this helps,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:52 pm

Junebayon wrote:... which really devastated me.

Junebayon, I recommend this article for you on how to talk to a cancer patient:
http://facingcancerwithgrace.com/circle-of-support/
Ring Theory
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:56 am

I was discharged and pronounced cured this October. I started off Stage III and three years later had a tiny liver met. It’s been 10 years since my original diagnosis and just under 7 since my liver resection. Studies have shown that patients who remain cancer free at 6.48 years after surgery for a small solitary met more than two years after the original diagnosis can be pronounced cured with 99% certainty.

I hope your fiancé will open up and talk with you. It could be he is going to need a bag or has been told he’ll need radiation that could affect having children or sexual activity.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Nohogirl

Postby Nohogirl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:12 pm

I wish we would be at a point where i could confidently say yes cancer is curable, and my husband is the proof. We are still new with this and in the unknown ourselves. But, i have read a lot of positive posts here and also do know at least 4 people personally who have been diagnosed at least 7- 16 years ago and are now fine and enjoying life.
I think once he is over the denial/anger/devastation stage, he will eventually open his doors to you as I am sure he will need a lot of physical and emotional support.
Last edited by Nohogirl on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
04/18 DH 49 Stage 2A T3N0M0 rectal cancer moderately differentiated.
05/18 chemorad. (Xeloda) 28 days
08/18 Surgery- 24 cm, including entire rectum out
Path -Stage II T2N0M0 moderate to poorly diff. adenocarcinoma
0 of 15 lymph nodes
No PNI
No LVI
Clear margins
10/18-02/19 8 cycles of Folfox
02/19 Pet Scan. NED
08/19 Pet Scan NED
08/19 Colonoscopy Clear

Junebayon

Postby Junebayon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Lee wrote:
Junebayon wrote: . . . let's say, if he does have it, is it curable on any stages . . .

I'm coming up on a 15 years. They told me I was cured a few years back. I was an advanced stage III. At the time of my diagnoses, some people told me I had a 30% chance of being alive in 5 years. Believe me, a lot of advancement been made since my diagnoses. Today I believe they would give me 70% to 80% chance of being alive in 5 years. There are many of us survivors out there. Many that were given months to live, got aggressive treatment at a major cancer hospital or cancer treatment center are very much alive today. So don't give up the hope.

A few things, avoid Dr. Google, a lot of info is out of date or flat out wrong. There is a wealth of information here, and a lot of support. Believe me, we understand where you are coming from.

I highly recommend people getting a 2nd opinion, especially if he is dealing with a stage III or IV diagnoses.

Let him know, don't let an Onc give surgical advice and don't let a surgeon give Onc advice.

I hope in time, he includes you in. I don't know what I would have done with out all my friends and family. Cancer has a way of bring out your true friends.

Feel free to vent your fears and frustrations here. Hope this helps,

Lee

The thing is, he tends to google everything, and each time he does that, his state of mind becomes worse. I always tell him to stay off of google and seek for professional advices. I hope he really listen to the right channel instead of google-ing things he has doubts in. Thanks! You've been very helpful.

Junebayon

Postby Junebayon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Utwo wrote:
Junebayon wrote:... which really devastated me.

Junebayon, I recommend this article for you on how to talk to a cancer patient:
http://facingcancerwithgrace.com/circle-of-support/
Ring Theory

Thank you very much! That's very helpful..

Junebayon

Postby Junebayon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:29 pm

dianetavegia wrote:I was discharged and pronounced cured this October. I started off Stage III and three years later had a tiny liver met. It’s been 10 years since my original diagnosis and just under 7 since my liver resection. Studies have shown that patients who remain cancer free at 6.48 years after surgery for a small solitary met more than two years after the original diagnosis can be pronounced cured with 99% certainty.

I hope your fiancé will open up and talk with you. It could be he is going to need a bag or has been told he’ll need radiation that could affect having children or sexual activity.

I am glad and hope you are feeling your best.. I hope he opens up a bit after reading these replies. You've been very helpful..thank you..

Junebayon

Postby Junebayon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Nohogirl wrote:I wish we would be at a point where i could confidently say yes cancer is curable, and my husband is the proof. We are still new with this and in the unknown ourselves. But, i have read a lot of positive posts here and also do know at least 4 people personally who have been diagnosed at least 7- 16 years ago and are now fine and enjoying life.
I think once he is over the denial/anger/devastation stage, he will eventually open his doors to you as I am sure he will need a lot of physical and emotional support.

I am happy for both of you. I am still trying my very best to lift his spirits up and keep fighting. Thank you very much!

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:58 pm

My lay person answer to this question:

YES
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy