Found mass at husbands first colonoscopy today

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nohogirl

Re: Found mass at husbands first colonoscopy today

Postby Nohogirl » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Hello. I am sorry about your husband's diagnosis, and congrats on your pregnancy and new house. It sounds like you were about to have happy changes in your life until you were faced with the devastating news. I hope your husband's tumor is in its earliest stages which will drastically increase the chances of cure. Hang in there and stay strong. In our culture we belive each baby brings a luck to the family with his/her birth. Hopefully you husband gets a clear CT scan soon and your new baby brings lots of good luck and positive energy into your home.
As for the treatment, it will all depend on the stage and the location of the tumor. Once you have the final and more clear picture of your husband's tumor, the doctors will come up with a treatment plan.

Good luck.
04/18 DH 49 Stage 2A T3N0M0 rectal cancer moderately differentiated.
05/18 chemorad. (Xeloda) 28 days
08/18 Surgery- 24 cm, including entire rectum out
Path -Stage II T2N0M0 moderate to poorly diff. adenocarcinoma
0 of 15 lymph nodes
No PNI
No LVI
Clear margins
10/18-02/19 8 cycles of Folfox
02/19 Pet Scan. NED
08/19 Pet Scan NED
08/19 Colonoscopy Clear

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Elove642 wrote:Thank you all for the welcome. Still waiting to get a scan scheduled, that is going to be my biggest issue, i am a control freak and I want this done Yesterday!

It seems that having the mass lower is not really a good thing, am I correct in that? Colon cancer seems a bit easier to treat than rectal? Maybe I’ve read too mich and am getting confused, please correct me if I’m wrong.

I am panicking a bit about finances, his job is very strenuous so he won’t be able to work once treatment starts. He does have disability insurance so that’s good even though it’s capped at $500 a week. we’ve just about reached our out of pocket max even though our insurance just started over in October. The reason being is I am pregnant. So with all the tests involved with that, the $2000 max out of pocket for family didn’t take long!
I am 43 and we tried for a long time to have a baby, we finally did it and I’m trying to remain as calm as possible, but it’s hard.
We also had a good nest egg saved but we close on a house next week and we put almost all of it down. Things all seem to happen at once, don’t they?
We will get through this, I just want to get it started.

My turn to talk !! I bought a new house 4 months before I was diagnosed with colon AND rectal cancer, that makes 2 ! After treatmentI can pay the house off . Your husbands employer cannot fire him while he goes to radiation, or chemo treatments . I went through it, and I still lift 10,000 lbs of paper a day being in the printing industry . Please excuse me, I retired yesterday, with no financial problems, and I never made much money either. Max out of pocket for me during treatment was about $30,000.00, for $600,000.00 treatment ! Have faith in the technology now available, as all hope is not lost.. my wife has been in your shoes ! By the way, I would love to have had a max out of pocket for $2,000.00 !
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:34 am

Hello,

It's very overwhelming and scary to hear that you have cancer but you have found a wonderful place here to receive support, answers to questions and just to vent. There is always someone here who understands what you're going through.

I had cancer of my sigmoid colon and had surgery and 6 months of chemo. However, radiation is given for rectal cancer.

For us control freaks, I had to learn to wait, take one day at a time and that I could not always be in control. It is a marathon and not a sprint. Be careful of Dr Google, it only heightened my anxiety. I felt that I needed to know as much as I could but I got a bit obsessed with finding information.

Wishing you and your husband all the best.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Postby ocstacy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:44 am

See a "board certified colon rectal surgeon" especially if it is rectal cancer. I was told by my GI doc I had colon cancer. It was the surgeon who told me it was actually rectal cancer. If your DH does indeed have rectal cancer, radiations is the normal protocol prior to surgery.

As a general rule, Onc make chemo type decision, the surgeon makes the surgical type decision.

Please avoid Dr. Google, you can find the worst case situation there, hang out here. In time you will find a wealth of information and support here. Far better than Dr. Google.

Yes, see a board certified rectal surgeon as I found the best one on the west coast for my mother. Her tumor was about 6 cm real close to the opening of her anus. She always thought it was hemmoroids poor thing. She made the mistake of not going in for her routine colonscopy and told us that she did. So prob had the cancer for 5 years or so. Anyhow, her chief surgeon hand sewn her a new anus, and she doesn't' thave the pouch anymore. Still recovering form reversal surgery. I have been w/ her since day 1. She is 78 and still has pain from recovery. She had a fissure and also absess in between the surgeries.I wish you the bestest of luck. Finding good surgeons really do matter.. Her surgery team rocked, hospital was just okay. She did radiation to shrink the tumor w/ oral chemo, than surgery 6 weeks after.. 9 months in between, than reversal.
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

Koreysue

Postby Koreysue » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Hello,
Sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis. I agree with Lee! Stay off google. If you do have questions, have a trusted friend do the googling, so they can filter through the scary worse case scenario stuff, and just feed you the facts.
I had a tumor that was higher up, so I didn’t have radiation prior to surgery, but many folks on here have experience with that.
If chemo is needed, we can can help you guys through that too.
Korey
Dx: 6/2017 stage 3 CC
Sigmoid, 2 nodes
CEA at dx: 6.1
Sigmoid Colectomy/folfox (last chemo (1/31/18)
CEA 4/2018: 2.4
CEA 7/2018: 3.7
Colonoscopy 8/18 clean
PET scan 8/20/18 NED
CEA 11/2018: 3.8
CEA 2/2019: 3.2
CT NED 6/18/19 / CEA : 3.4
CEA 10/21/19: 3.2
CEA 3/9/20: 3.8
CT NED /CEA 6/17/20: 3.8
CEA 11/4/20 4.6 <——— whyyyy? (will retest in a few weeks)
CT NED 12/1/20 CEA: 3.5
CEA 5/21 4.2
CEA 10/21 3.4
colonoscopy 10/21 10mm polyp
CEA 4/22 3.7
CEA 7/22 3.8
CEA 12/22 4
CEA 1/22 3.2 and NED 5yr scan

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”