MRI of Peritoneum with Ostomy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Spazzyjanet
Facebook Username: Heather Stoker

MRI of Peritoneum with Ostomy

Postby Spazzyjanet » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:09 am

I realize that this is a highly specific question, but I was told to schedule one of these and didn't think much of it, but I'm looking over the procedure and prep instructions and this seems quite daunting.

- It requires a strict 48- hour diet
- It involves a water enema (with a tube inserted in your rectum)

But.... I have an Ostomy. Do they still have to do the enema? Do I still have to follow the strict diet? Anyone know?
40 yr old, 3 kids. Dx 9/2018, Stage IV
KRAS G12V (resistant to Cetuximab)
CEA levels normal at diagnosis
4.2 cm Tumor, PT3, PN2B
11 of 18 with adenocarcinoma
+ removal of one cancerous node in Peritoneum.
9/2018, Colon resection and Ostomy-- Margins Negative
10/2018, PET shows 6 liver mets
10/2108, begin FOLFOX (Oxi+5 FU)
11/2018, MRI updates potential liver metastasis to 11 mets, both lobes.

juliej

Re: MRI of Peritoneum with Ostomy

Postby juliej » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:28 pm

You need a diet that is non-irritating and easily digested - the point being to have very little residue left in your intestines before the MRI. That way they can get a better image. Usually it's a diet low in fat, fiber and lactose, which isn't too hard to do. As long as I can have peanut butter, I'm okay :D

The water enema helps them see the peritoneum better. It's similar to the procedure for an ileostomy reversal "leak test", but uses water, not barium. You lie on your side and they insert the tube into your rectum. There's a small balloon on the end of the tube to help hold the liquid inside. But don't worry about leaking. They put numerous pads under you before they even start the procedure and tell you not to worry about some leakage. It's not fun, but it's a necessary part of the exam, even with an ostomy.

MRI machines are loud so they usually give you headphones (with your choice of music) to wear while you're in the tube. There's also a way to signal the technologist if you're having a problem. It feels like you're in there forever so make sure you empty your bladder one last time before you start.

I would definitely tell them you have an ostomy if they give you barium or any other kind of oral contrast. See if they agree that you don't need to drink the entire amount since it isn't going past the ostomy area anyway. I hated when my bag filled up with a large volume of contrast that was meant for someone without an ileostomy.

Hope this helps!
Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”