Stage 4. Anyone experienced failure of Folfiri but a good response with Folfox / 2nd line?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
deanfromuk

Stage 4. Anyone experienced failure of Folfiri but a good response with Folfox / 2nd line?

Postby deanfromuk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi everyone hope you are doing well, my mom is stage 4 large adenocarcinoma on her ascending colon with metastasis throughout her abdomen, nothing liver or lung. She started folfiri with cetuximab / erbitux but after 3 rounds she had severe back pain (turnd out a small spinal met caused a minor vertebral collapse) so she has been in hospital awaiting surgery which was delayed to a nasty hospital aquired infection and her chemo (final 3 rounds cancelled).

Her onc just appeared yesterday and told my mom the tumour continued to grow through the chemo so it is resistant and no point continuing with folfiri. Plan is she has been switched to folfox once her vertebraplasty is done, my question is anyone here experienced a response with oxaliplatin even though the tumour is resistant to iri? She is very worried about neuropathy too, not sure what to think as our NHS oncologist is not very chatty with any technical details ... is it normal for tumours to be resitant from the get go to a chemo but not another, I thought it would take time to develop resistance ....

Also if i may ask are there any useful supplements that helped anyone here on folfox or anything a good integrative onc recommended / safe to use since we do not have access to one here and the hospital onc just says no to grapefruit and nothing much else? Anything we should avoid? my mom is on mushroom extracts (turkey tail, maitake, lions mane) and vitamin D3 with K2 and nigella sativa oil in the hopes of boosting her immune system ... it is all getting quite hairy and advice from anyone who managed to get a response or improved health would be appreciated.

Thanks to any all who reads this, and good luck with your own battles or those of your loved ones

heiders33

Re: Stage 4. Anyone experienced failure of Folfiri but a good response with Folfox / 2nd line?

Postby heiders33 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi there, sorry to hear about the progression. I don’t have an answer for you, but when she’s on 5FU she should avoid folic acid. When I did XELOX I took mushroom extract, probiotic, Vitamin D, and also magnesium for cramping. For neuropathy I bought some glass marbles and put them in a bowl with lukewarm water and soaked/rubbed my feet for 15 minutes.These were recommended by the integrative care doctor at MSK.
40 year-old female
May 2017: Dx rectal cancer T3N2M0
MSS, KRAS G12D
6/17: 28 days chemorad
9/17: LAR/loop ileostomy, CAPOX six rounds
3/18: reversal
9/18: liver met, resection/HAI pump, 11 rounds 5FU, 1 round FUDR
11/19 - local recurrence, brachytherapy, 3 weeks targeted radiation
12/21 - end colostomy

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”