Foods to avoid during chemotherapy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
HealthTalk
Facebook Username: Allen Baldreich

Re: Foods to avoid during chemotherapy

Postby HealthTalk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:19 am

Nohogirl wrote:Hi All,

What were the foods you have been told to avoid during chemotherapy, specifically during FOLFOX?

We all know about the negative effects of chemo on the body, how it can not only kill the cancer cells but also the healthy cells in the body thus impairing one's immune system and disabling it to fight off future infections and/or increasing the chances of cancer reoccurrences.

Since my husband was diagnosed with cancer, one of the first things i had in my plan for him was the healthy eating , the opposite of which he has been doing all his life. I cut down if not eliminate his sugar intake, no beef meat except once a month, no processed meats, lots of veggies and fruits mostly organic, organic chicken, no eating out to avoid unnecessary MSGs and bacteria, probiotics, D3, B6, pure manuka honey in the mornings and of course juicing. The two main juices I would make for him daily were Carrot juice mixed with some celery, ginger,.garlic and Pomegranate juice.

Right before his first chemo infusion, my intuition told me to check ( where else if not ononline)l for possible interactions of carrot and pomegranates with chemo. And guess what?

Both carrots and pomegranate were found to be potentially harmful during chemo. As a matter of fact pomegranate was in the list of foods to avoid during chemo. Who would know?????

Carrots contain excessive amounts of Vitamin K . Vitamin K helps to clot the blood and because people on chemo are at higher risk for blood clots, carrot is exactly what we need to avoid during chemo.

Pomegranate seeds hold strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties due to their high content of hydrolysable tannins and anthocyanins. While consuming high amounts of pomegranate juice or extract can be beneficial in preventing cancer or inhibiting cancer growth, drinking pomegranate juice during chemotherapy may have adverse effects. Substances found in pomegranates can interfere with how the chemo drug works by not allowing the drug to be broken down and absorbed properly in the system.
Who would knew that what i thought was going to help my husband was actually going to harm him

Ouffff. So much to know and to be careful of.

The following foods should be avoided at all costs:

1. High fiber foods
2. spicy foods
3. alcohol
4. Junk foods
5. sugary foods
6. sodas - diet and normal
7. processed meats
8. Rich desserts
9. Nuts and seeds

henry123

Re: Foods to avoid during chemotherapy

Postby henry123 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:46 am

HealthTalk wrote:
Nohogirl wrote:Hi All,

What were the foods you have been told to avoid during chemotherapy, specifically during FOLFOX?

We all know about the negative effects of chemo on the body, how it can not only kill the cancer cells but also the healthy cells in the body thus impairing one's immune system and disabling it to fight off future infections and/or increasing the chances of cancer reoccurrences.

Since my husband was diagnosed with cancer, one of the first things i had in my plan for him was the healthy eating , the opposite of which he has been doing all his life. I cut down if not eliminate his sugar intake, no beef meat except once a month, no processed meats, lots of veggies and fruits mostly organic, organic chicken, no eating out to avoid unnecessary MSGs and bacteria, probiotics, D3, B6, pure manuka honey in the mornings and of course juicing. The two main juices I would make for him daily were Carrot juice mixed with some celery, ginger,.garlic and Pomegranate juice.

Right before his first chemo infusion, my intuition told me to check ( where else if not ononline)l for possible interactions of carrot and pomegranates with chemo. And guess what?

Both carrots and pomegranate were found to be potentially harmful during chemo. As a matter of fact pomegranate was in the list of foods to avoid during chemo. Who would know?????

Carrots contain excessive amounts of Vitamin K . Vitamin K helps to clot the blood and because people on chemo are at higher risk for blood clots, carrot is exactly what we need to avoid during chemo.

Pomegranate seeds hold strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties due to their high content of hydrolysable tannins and anthocyanins. While consuming high amounts of pomegranate juice or extract can be beneficial in preventing cancer or inhibiting cancer growth, drinking pomegranate juice during chemotherapy may have adverse effects. Substances found in pomegranates can interfere with how the chemo drug works by not allowing the drug to be broken down and absorbed properly in the system.
Who would knew that what i thought was going to help my husband was actually going to harm him

Ouffff. So much to know and to be careful of.

The following foods should be avoided at all costs:

1. High fiber foods
2. spicy foods
3. alcohol
4. Junk foods
5. sugary foods
6. sodas - diet and normal
7. processed meats
8. Rich desserts
9. Nuts and seeds

Why nuts and seeds or high fibre foods?
46yo M msi-high Lynch +ve