Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Scheduled for end of month, and I fear I might have colon cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Deep

Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Scheduled for end of month, and I fear I might have colon cancer

Postby Deep » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post on here. I went to the doctors a couple weeks back after I noticed some blood mixed in with my poop. In retrospect, my bowel movements changed years ago. First I started to have to go every morning like clockwork. Then here the past 6 months, I have had to go 2-3 times a day. That did not take me to the doctors as I did not see it as a medical issue at the time. My bowel movements are narrow as well. I just noticed this after internet searching colon cancer obsessively and seeing it was a symptom and then looking for myself and paying more attention. Not sure how long that has been going on. I am only 39 years old. I am scared to death that I have cancer. Thought I would come here to get some advice. Anyways, the department of Veterans Affairs scheduled me 6 weeks out for my sigmoidoscopy. This is torture. What are the chances that this is just polyps? Thanks for your time.

hiker

Re: Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Scheduled for end of month, and I fear I might have colon cancer

Postby hiker » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:27 pm

First off, thank you for your service. The fact that you have to wait 6 weeks for something as simple as a sigmoidoscopy is an insult to our veterans and an embarrassment to our country. We really should be taking better care of you. I'll stop there before I say something that gets me blocked from the site.

Second, if I were you I would be pushing for a colonoscopy. You may have cancer...and you may not. No amount of online searching, worrying, studying your poo, or opinions from any of us will properly diagnose you. Only the proper tests will give you the answer. If you don't have cancer, celebrate. If you do and it's stage 3 or 4, start putting together a great team that will go after the cancer as aggressively as possible. That's where people here can help you.

You're young so chances are it's not cancer. If it is, it's not a death sentence. It'll be a tough period of your life. But I have a feeling that you'll get through it.

hiker
Colonoscopy 2/17, 5cm tumor descending
Diagnosed stage iv, liver mets 3/17
Colon resection 3/17
Told surgery not an option, get my affairs in order
Meet w/MSK team 5/01/17
Folfox(3rds) 5/17-6/17
Liver resection/implant HAI pump 7/17
HAI pump chemo(5rds) 8/17-2/18
Folfiri+Vectibix(11rds) 8/17-2/18
Spot on chest CT 10/17
Lung biopsy (that was fun) 11/17
Nocardia bacterial infection w/spread to brain (this is serious) 11/17
IV antibiotics 12/17-2/18
Oral antibiotics 3/18-present
Clear of cancer since surgery

Lee

Re: Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Scheduled for end of month, and I fear I might have colon cancer

Postby Lee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:28 pm

First relax.

Like many others who come, scared!!! Avoid Dr. Google, you can diagnose your self with anything with Dr. Google. Many people come here convienced that they have cancer only to learn after the colonoscopy that they are fine. Also know that many different issues could be causing your symptoms. Cancer is just "ONE" possibility.

Does colon cancer run in your family?

I gather you are with the VA. I concur, thank you for your service. First, since you've passed some blood, get a colonoscopy, do not settle for sigmoidoscopy. A colonoscopy will give you a true diagnoses if anything is going on. 2nd, tell them you will accept a cancellation even at the last minute. Make sure you have the prep solution on hand. Sometimes that gets you in faster.

Butt demand that colonoscopy.

During the mean time, try not to worry. For what it is worth, many years ago, my mother ended up in the ER, serious bleeding and stomach pain. A colonoscopy was done. No cancer, not even one polyp, just a bad case of diverticulosis. Again, cancer is just one possibility out of many.

Keep us posted, butt try not to worry,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 10 years and counting!

Deep

Postby Deep » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Lee wrote:First relax.

Like many others who come, scared!!! Avoid Dr. Google, you can diagnose your self with anything with Dr. Google. Many people come here convienced that they have cancer only to learn after the colonoscopy that they are fine. Also know that many different issues could be causing your symptoms. Cancer is just "ONE" possibility.

I gather you are with the VA. I concur, thank you for your service. First, since you've passed some blood, get a colonoscopy, do not settle for sigmoidoscopy. A colonoscopy will give you a true diagnoses if anything is going on. 2nd, tell them you will accept a cancellation even at the last minute. Make sure you have the prep solution on hand. Sometimes that gets you in faster.

During the mean time, try not to worry. For what it is worth, many years ago, my mother ended up in the ER, serious bleeding and stomach pain. A colonoscopy was done. No cancer, not even one polyp, just a bad case of diverticulosis. Again, cancer is just one possibility out of many.

Lee

No family history of colon cancer. I will demand a colonoscopy but am not sure how far complaining will go as to getting me in there earlier. Thanks for the reply.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:42 pm

I understand. My dad was in the Air Force, so I understand how frustrating the military medical system can be. Just push the fact, "any rectal bleeding should be checked out with a colonoscopy, and NOT by an assumption, REGARDLESS of age." Assumption is NOT a medical diagnoses.

If you are truly concerned, find a place that will scope you out of pocket. They generally cut the cost if paying with cash. $2000.00 or less.

Good luck, and please keep us posted,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 10 years and counting!

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am

I'm sorry you're going through this!*hugs* I agree with everyone else that you should push for a colonoscopy which checks you entire colon not just a sigmoidoscopy. A sigmoidoscopy only checks your sigmoid and rectum but not the rest of your colon. Good luck and hope you get answers soon!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17

Capercrohnieileo
Facebook Username: Jayne Olson

Postby Capercrohnieileo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:49 am

Lee wrote:First relax.

Lee

I also ended up in the ER with massive bleeding, diarrhea (30× a day) and pain and it also wasn't cancer "just" a severe case of Crohn's disease.
Severe Crohn's colitis jan 2015
Developed fistulas feb 2015
Open total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy (bye bye colon and rectum hello barbie butt) because of fistulas, Crohn's and crc risk May 5, 2017
Gastroduodenal Crohn's Nov 1, 2017
Severe Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Nov 9, 2017 GES showed 70 % remaining in stomach at 4 hrs. Normal is <10%
Jejunostomy (J tube) surgery Oct 17, 2018.
Didn't go so well. Small bowel obstruction found Oct 26, 2018, day 46 of this hospitalization.

Deep

Postby Deep » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:29 am

I contacted my sister to confirm our family history did not have colon cancer and she notified me that she has diverticulitis. She then goes on to tell me that our grandmother had it as well. This gives me a glimmer of hope that perhaps I am dealing with an incurable disease versus cancer. Time is going by too slow and I just wish the VA wouldn't do stuff like this. One thing is for sure... I will never look at cancer the same way after this scare is over. Everyone battling this disease has my deepest sympathy as the prospect of getting told that horrible news one day must be devastating. I am looking forward to my procedure, but am terrified at what they might find at the same time. Just ready to get it over with...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”