Constant Ribbon Stools

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
WiKKiD

Constant Ribbon Stools

Postby WiKKiD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi, just hoping I could get some opinions. I'm 28, married with a year old daughter.. I've had severe constipation for over 4 months. So I went to a doctor and got all sorts of laxatives that did nothing for me. I ended up going to the Hosptial for pain in my rectal area and left side stomach. They did a CT Scan and told me I needed to get my appendix removed asap and had me have emergency surgery the next day. That was 4 weeks ago now and after healing and using a lot of laxatives I'm still have the constipation. I've noticed though within these 4 weeks that my stool is completely flat and usually small amounts. I don't know how long I've had these ribbon stools as I never looked at my stool in detail.. I don't have much of an appetite so I've lost around 12 pounds in these 4 weeks. I'm very concerned that I have colorectal cancer due to the constant thin ribbon stools, weight loss and pain. I haven't noticed any blood but when I have a bowel movement it feels like something is blocking the poop and always feels uncomfortable. Like I have a small object in my colon.. I have had 2 CT scans and seen multiple doctors / hospital visits but they don't seem to give a shit. I was finally recommended for a rushed colonoscopy but nothing has been scheduled. I saw a GI doctor and he didn't want to do a rushed colonoscopy until I get the ok from my general surgeon that did the appendectomy. to make matters worse I have a already paid Mexico trip in a week so times ticking as I will not be able to get that money back.. Should I be worried.. because I am.. thank you for taking the time to read this.

Lee

Re: Constant Ribbon Stools

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi and welcome,

First breath.

Does colon cancer run in your family?

The chances of you having colon cancer (unless it runs in your family) is very unlikely. Since you've had recent surgery, yes losing some weight can happen. When I'm stressed, I tend to eat, when I'm SUPER stressed, I tend not to eat. Could you also be super stressed?

How much fluids to you drink a day? I'm talking water. If you don't think it is much, try upping it. What is your diet like? Cheese can bulk you up if you eat enough of it. How about greens as in salads? Maybe keep a diary of food and water consumption and see if you find any connections.

Notice any itchiness down there?

I've heard in recent years, that people who do have issues with constipation, should try a glutten free diet. This is not medical advice (I'm not a doctor), just info I've heard in recent years.

Regarding the scope, yes I think you should get it, for peace of mind if nothing else. The prep the day before the scope is the worst. If your body is still healing, may want to hold off for a few more weeks. Butt yes get the surgeon's opinion on how soon you can have it.

How soon do you want to be scoped? This coming week?

Try not to worry,

Lee

PS Edited to add, I had no pain. NO real symptoms. Many years prior to my diagnoses, my mother ended up in the ER with serious rectal bleeding and pain. Colonoscopy was done, no cancer, not even one polyp. Just a bad case of diverticulosis.

I had bleeding hemorrhoids, my PCP ran a few tests. All those test for colon cancer came back neg or normal. Figured those bleeding hemorrhoids were going to my excuse for getting scoped early in life. I feel that referral saved my life.

That colonoscopy will give you a true diagnoses if anything is going on. Remember cancer is just one possibility out of many. Try not to worry.
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

cartech78

Postby cartech78 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Welcome, So i am newly diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer as of 3 weeks ago. Like you i had symptoms for a few months that the doctors had me trying to fix with probiotics, Fiber supplements, water intake, etc. my symptoms were always feeling constipated, really bad stomach cramps at times, sometimes diarrhea . Then one weekend i had bloody diarrhea and i decided that my doctors werent going far enough to figure out why I wasn’t improving. I became my own advocate and sought a G.I. Doctor who recommended a colonoscopy. As they say the rest is history, here i am. I dont want to scare you but the fact is Colon Cancer Symptoms line up with Symptoms of UC and Crohns almost to the T. Even Diverticulitis has matching symptoms. Like the above poster mentioned, be your own advocate and get the colonoscopy. It could save your life!!!
40 Y/o male
Dx 10/5/18 stage lV CRC
Sg colon
23 inoperable liver mets largest 4.5 cm
Colon resection 10/6/18 clean margins
Starting FolFox on 11/18
2nd opinion at MSK on 12/18
HAI pump installed on 3/6/2019 also found 20 more small tumors on liver scans missed
7/2/2019 MRI and CT show only 2 liver tumors visible and they are shrunk by 3/4
11/25/19- Liver resection at MSK- got out all cancer and am NED. More scans and mop up chemo to follow.
1 month Scan clear! Jun/20 scans still clear. Off chemo since 3/20

WiKKiD

Postby WiKKiD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi, thank you very much for the quick replies! Your right, I need to sit back and breath and try to stop looking at the negatives.. It has been consuming my life thinking about this and being so stressed:(

I finally get to see my general surgeon tomorrow afternoon so I'll see what he has to say. I'll bring up the urgent request from other doctors for a colonoscopy and let him know all of my symptoms ! A part of me would like to get the colonoscopy done before I leave for Mexico (next weekend) but another part of me would prefer to have a fun two weeks and then deal with this when I get back.

It's just hard because it's constantly in the back of my mind. As for diet, I'm not really hungry but force myself to eat. I've been drinking a lot of smoothies and eating eggs, rice,veggies and Pho. I'll make sure to drink more water though and keep a diary. It would make sense if I was intolerant to gluten. But I haven't had much gluten lately and I still have the same symptoms.

All of the symptoms point to CC over inflammatory bowel disorders but you never know. I might be lucky. My father has colitis and his father died from cancer but I'm unsure what kind. Grandad from my mothers side had a lot of polyps. But ended dying from a heart attack. It's terrifying having the thought of having CC at 28 years old.. right when I'm starting a family but I need to hold strong and positive. Thanks again for reading and replying. My heart goes out to you both. I truely wish you luck on your battle.

*If your interested I'll keep you posted.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:35 pm

Yes, please let us know how your colonoscopy goes. If your dad had colitis, there is a chance you have it too. Please avoid Dr. Google, you can diagnose yourself with anything with Dr. Google. Just remember at your age, your chances of having this cancer is very rare, unless it runs in your family, and it does not sound like it.

Have fun in Mexico.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

cartech78

Postby cartech78 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Yes , for sure, keep us posted. And like the other poster said. The chances of it being CC are extremely low so breathe a little and get that colonoscopy knocked out. Good luck
40 Y/o male
Dx 10/5/18 stage lV CRC
Sg colon
23 inoperable liver mets largest 4.5 cm
Colon resection 10/6/18 clean margins
Starting FolFox on 11/18
2nd opinion at MSK on 12/18
HAI pump installed on 3/6/2019 also found 20 more small tumors on liver scans missed
7/2/2019 MRI and CT show only 2 liver tumors visible and they are shrunk by 3/4
11/25/19- Liver resection at MSK- got out all cancer and am NED. More scans and mop up chemo to follow.
1 month Scan clear! Jun/20 scans still clear. Off chemo since 3/20

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm

So what sis your general surgeon say regarding the colonoscopy?

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

WiKKiD

Postby WiKKiD » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:15 am

Hey, I saw my surgeon yesterday. He took a look at my second CT Scan and told me that there isn't any evidence of CC in my CT Scan.

There was a small speck in my lungs that they saw but told me not to worry about it unless it doesn't go away.

He is convinced I have a UC, IBD or IBS but told me he wasn't the guy to diagnose those things as he's just a general surgeon.

He did recommend that I get a colonoscopy when I get back from Mexico so I contacted a GI Doctor who said he would do it three days after I come back from Mexico.

The surgeon seemed very dismissive of my symptoms and told me not to get anymore CT scans for a while as I'm young.

He said I should be fine for Mexico and didn't bring up any limitations.. I'm honestly not convinced as I constantly have ribbon stools and random abdominal pains that range from dull to sharp. And a burning sore pain in what appears to be deep in my rectal & colon area..

I haven't noticed any blood or darker stool but there has been mucus and un-digested foods.. Very strange.. I guess I'll try and relax in Mexico and have some fun. Hopefully the symptoms will go away.

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the 20th of November. The main struggle is dealing with my symptoms and keeping positive. Thanks for your support and keeping in touch, it means a lot.

I hope you two have a great week/weekend:)

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Hey, so what did your colonoscopy results say?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”