Hello

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kelism

Hello

Postby Kelism » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:08 am

Hello
I am a new to the forum. I’ve posted most of my info below in my signature. Mum wakes up each morning happy & positive. We’ve had our ups and downs along the way, this month has been very bumpy including a 3 day stay in hospital for a fever of unknown origin. Last week she had lots of energy and was outgoing. This week is a total flip; Very tired and needing assistance to walk.
We met with urologist today who informed us she needed stents in both ureters (knew about one but not both). But she has decided to have no further treatments and wait to see how radiation shrunk original tumor (Nov CT).
We take it all one day at a time. But I’m concerned with how long her kidneys will hold up.

On a side note, my father passed away 18 years ago after a 3 year fight with kidney cancer.
Caregiver for Mum (67)
07/17- ER CT finds bowel obstruction, ER sigmoid colostomy.
8&10/17 negative scope 01/18 - NegativeCT
03/18 - Ask for reversal. 05/18 - CT shows shadow
06/18 - MRI finds large invasive recto sigmoid tumor
09/18 - Start Xeloda/25 rad treatment, 2 blood trans. PET scan
10/18 -PET: Large invasive tumor,14 mm liver met,lymph nodes,uterus & intestinal Invasion,blocked Ureters and swollen kidneys.Finished chemorad October 30,2018
Became my guardian angel December 7,2018

GrouseMan

Re: Hello

Postby GrouseMan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:56 pm

I would probably do the stents for the ureters, as that will at least help improve her kidney function and make her feel better. My wife had to have a stent put in when the tumor started to press just one of her ureters. They need to be replaced about every three months maximum, but its an out patent procedure. I would do what I could to be at least more comfortable and have a better quality of life as long as one could. It's not a cure but its better than being messed up due to toxins building up in your mothers system and not eliminated. I am not a doctor and that is just an opinion based on my wife's situation. She passed away but I think she was glad about doing the stints as it allowed her more freedom to do the things she enjoyed for about a 9 months more than had she not. just a couple weeks before she was last hospitalized she was out riding her horse and judging dogs at a field trial.

Good luck

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Kelism

Re: Hello

Postby Kelism » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Thank you for your response & sorry to hear about your wife. It is very hard to loose a loved one this way.
I think my mum would go ahead with the stents if the PET scan had come back better. It has been a lot of info in a short period of time. Her condition is much worse than we had first thought/been told and she is refusing further chemo (because of watching my dad go through it). We have been getting vague info that the tumor has not shrunk much but it is still a bit early I guess. And one dr did say the stents will just prolong the inevitable. In the past 5 days she’s become very tired, no appetite & difficulty drinking water and craving dairy milk (which she use to hate!). So we are just taking it day by day.
Caregiver for Mum (67)
07/17- ER CT finds bowel obstruction, ER sigmoid colostomy.
8&10/17 negative scope 01/18 - NegativeCT
03/18 - Ask for reversal. 05/18 - CT shows shadow
06/18 - MRI finds large invasive recto sigmoid tumor
09/18 - Start Xeloda/25 rad treatment, 2 blood trans. PET scan
10/18 -PET: Large invasive tumor,14 mm liver met,lymph nodes,uterus & intestinal Invasion,blocked Ureters and swollen kidneys.Finished chemorad October 30,2018
Became my guardian angel December 7,2018

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”