Confused Stage2 or Stage3

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nohogirl

Confused Stage2 or Stage3

Postby Nohogirl » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Here I am again, lost, confused and asking for help.

Confused about lymph nodes involvement.
At the time of my husband's CT scan to stage his cancer and to rule out any distant metastases, radiologist noted, no distant metastases but enlarged colonic lymph nodes suggestive of local metastasis.

Few days later, an introrectal 3D ultrasound and sigmoidoscopy were performed by our board certified colorectal surgeon and according to him and his report, my husband's tumor was staged as T3NOMx.
Fast forward, my husband received 28 courses of radiation along with oral Xeloda, had his surgery, 15 nodes were resected, all of them negative for cancer.

All this time our surgeon was confident that my husbands enlarged lymph nodes before chemoradiation and surgery were reactive due to possible inflammation at the tumor site, given the fact that my husband was having ongoing recurrent fever before his diagnosis.

Our new oncologist, on the other hand, believes that, CT scans are 99% accurate and my husband's enlarged lymph nodes shown on CT scan before chemoradiation and surgery were in fact cancerous and the reason all his lymph nodes tested negative for cancer is because his preop chemoradiation killed the cancer cells in them.

We are now in a total loss as we get different information about his staging. I really don't know what outcome to expect or hope for, as i know lymph node involvement can make a huge difference in future recurrences and overall prognosis.

I reallly really need to know if they were any other people with enlarged lymph nodes on CT scan or other scans that ended up showing clean/ negative after resection and pathology.

Anyone with similar situation, even if you didn't do pre surgery chemoradiation, please share your experience
The chemoradiation was done to make things easier for us, but instead it made it more confusing and unclear. It seems like we will never really know the true staging of my husband's cancer :(

Thank you
04/18 DH 49 Stage 2A T3N0M0 rectal cancer moderately differentiated.
05/18 chemorad. (Xeloda) 28 days
08/18 Surgery- 24 cm, including entire rectum out
Path -Stage II T2N0M0 moderate to poorly diff. adenocarcinoma
0 of 15 lymph nodes
No PNI
No LVI
Clear margins
10/18-02/19 8 cycles of Folfox
02/19 Pet Scan. NED
08/19 Pet Scan NED
08/19 Colonoscopy Clear

Lee

Re: Confused Stage2 or Stage3

Postby Lee » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Nohogirl wrote: . . . Our new oncologist, on the other hand, believes that, CT scans are 99% accurate and my husband's enlarged lymph nodes shown on CT scan before chemoradiation and surgery were in fact cancerous and the reason all his lymph nodes tested negative for cancer is because his preop chemoradiation killed the cancer cells in them.

We are now in a total loss as we get different information about his staging. I really don't know what outcome to expect or hope for, as i know lymph node involvement can make a huge difference in future recurrences and overall prognosis.

Thank you

This is just my very humble opinion, I have no medical training just a cancer survivor. I would take the stage III diagnoses and run with it. They (medical people) tend to treat you more aggressively with a stage III vs a stage II. I was diagnosed at the age of 46 and was treated aggressively, due to my younger age. 14 yrs later I'm still here.

When I was being staged, not sure if the CAT scan pick up my enlarged nodes, as I had several tested done within a few short days. But surgeon preformed a separate test and gave me my results within a few short hours. Staging, plan of action, etc.

Pre surgery, testing would show 4 nodes were positive for cancer, post surgery pathology report would confirm 6 nodes positive were positive for cancer..

Just my experience, good luck!

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Sent you a PM ... BUTT thought I could add a bit more info on-forum.

My surgeon "thought" I would likely be Stage II
My Radiation Onc said I was definitely Stage III
de facto when all was said and done with my Medical Onc I am actually Stage IVa

now here is the IMO part :
don't take surgical advice from a radiologist
don't take radiology advice from a medical oncologist
don't take medical oncology advice from a surgeon ! etc. etc. etc.

these folks deal with different datasets and results along the way
SO ... things WILL change and they each have their own areas of expertise.

Also, different imaging modalities done at different times during the diagnostic / therapeutic timeline can ( and WILL in my opinion ! ) reveal sometimes questionable/conflicting results.
Sorry if this is the "tough love" part ... BUTT get used to it ... it is going to happen and you will also need to find support for YOU as a caregiver. BTDT.

The positives for you :
- the neoadjuvant chemoradiation did its job
- all nodes negative
- a number of docs are using different imaging techniques to explore hubby's situation = more eyes on his case
- if there is concern for Stage III they will be more aggressive in treatments

I had enlarged local nodes verified by MRI and were not biposied because I was going ahead with the whole neoadjuvant chemoradiation plan anyway. I had pCR = pathological complete response = cancer NUKED
I had good docs AND I pushed for aggressive follow up. I had a single resectable lung met (VATS) and more chemo.

Some of this was "expected" some NOT .... BUTT here I am

hope that helps a bit more

Cheers and Harmony on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Nohogirl

Postby Nohogirl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:31 am

Lee wrote:
Nohogirl wrote: . . . Our new oncologist, on the other hand, believes that, CT scans are 99% accurate and my husband's enlarged lymph nodes shown on CT scan before chemoradiation and surgery were in fact cancerous and the reason all his lymph nodes tested negative for cancer is because his preop chemoradiation killed the cancer cells in them.

Thank you

This is just my very humble opinion, I have no medical training just a cancer survivor. I would take the stage III diagnoses and run with it. They (medical people) tend to treat you more aggressively with a stage III vs a stage II. I was diagnosed at the age of 46 and was treated aggressively, due to my younger age. 14 yrs later I'm still here.

When I was being staged, not sure if the CAT scan pick up my enlarged nodes, as I had several tested done within a few short days. But surgeon preformed a separate test and gave me my results within a few short hours. Staging, plan of action, etc.

Pre surgery, testing would show 4 nodes were positive for cancer, post surgery pathology report would confirm 6 nodes positive were positive for cancer..

Just my experience, good luck!

Lee

Thank you Lee. You are right about the more aggressive treatement. Both hubby and I are for it , and ready for fight. Aldough my husband is in denial and still thinks that he is stage 2, for me its hard to accept the fact that he is now classified as stage 3. Though I prefer to accept the reality and run with it than deny it and jeopardize his health. We will never really know how many of his lymph nodes were in fact involved, if any.
As of now, our new oncologist decided that my husband will receive 8 courses of Folfox, through his port, every other week for 3 hrs after which he willl bring the pump home for 48 hrs. Whereas our old oncologist's plan was to put my husband on oral Xeloda and IV oxaliplatin for 12 weeks, every 2 weeks with a week off in between. I am not sure which of these two are considered agressive approach, but i have more confidence in our new oncologist plus i am seeing more people having the 1st treatment.
Anyhow, thank you so much for your input Lee, and its so nice to see more and more people who have won this fight and are now long term survivors. Wishing you many more years or NED.
0 of 15 lymph nodes
No PNI
No LVI
Clear margins
02/19 Pet Scan. NED
08/19 Pet Scan NED
08/19 Colonoscopy Clear

Nohogirl

Postby Nohogirl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:41 pm

CRguy wrote:Sent you a PM ... BUTT thought I could add a bit more info on-forum.

My surgeon "thought" I would likely be Stage II
My Radiation Onc said I was definitely Stage III
de facto when all was said and done with my Medical Onc I am actually Stage IVa

now here is the IMO part :
don't take surgical advice from a radiologist
don't take radiology advice from a medical oncologist
don't take medical oncology advice from a surgeon ! etc. etc. etc.

these folks deal with different datasets and results along the way
SO ... things WILL change and they each have their own areas of expertise.

Also, different imaging modalities done at different times during the diagnostic / therapeutic timeline can ( and WILL in my opinion ! ) reveal sometimes questionable/conflicting results.
Sorry if this is the "tough love" part ... BUTT get used to it ... it is going to happen and you will also need to find support for YOU as a caregiver. BTDT.

The positives for you :
- the neoadjuvant chemoradiation did its job
- all nodes negative
- a number of docs are using different imaging techniques to explore hubby's situation = more eyes on his case
- if there is concern for Stage III they will be more aggressive in treatments

I had enlarged local nodes verified by MRI and were not biposied because I was going ahead with the whole neoadjuvant chemoradiation plan anyway. I had pCR = pathological complete response = cancer NUKED
I had good docs AND I pushed for aggressive follow up. I had a single resectable lung met (VATS) and more chemo.

Some of this was "expected" some NOT .... BUTT here I am

hope that helps a bit more

Cheers and Harmony on the Journey
CRguy

Thank you CRguy. Yes i did receive your PM. Thank you so much for your input.
From reading all the posts and comments from other members' journeys, one thing I made clear for myself is that my husband's cancer is not an easy fix as our doctors were assuring us. It is and will be a loooong and tough battle with many unexpected and uncontrolled twists and turns and that only GOD knows what will the outcome be.
0 of 15 lymph nodes
No PNI
No LVI
Clear margins
02/19 Pet Scan. NED
08/19 Pet Scan NED
08/19 Colonoscopy Clear

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:01 pm

CRguy wrote: . . . .don't take medical oncology advice from a surgeon ! etc. etc. etc.
CRguy

That is the best advice,

Know in your heart, your husband can beat this. Whether it is stage 2 or stage 3, it is treatable. The chemo he is about to get is to clean up/mop up any floater cancer cells that might be in his body.

I too got the FOLFOX with the infusion at the Dr.'s office followed up with the pump for 48hrs. Both treatments are standard protocol, some people prefer the pills while other prefer the pump.

Good luck
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Chickspeed

Postby Chickspeed » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:25 pm

I am not offering medical advice it would be the same as taking advice from a chimp

Here is how it happened for me:

12/15/16 colonoscopy found 5-6cm mass 10-12 cm from AV well to moderately diff
12/29/16 dual contrast staging scans of chest, abdomen and pelvis showed no metastatic disease in lungs liver etc and no suspicious or enlarged lymphnodes
in abdomen or pelvis

1/19/2017 MRI showed 3 slightly enlarged LN and t2/early t3 growth is was believed because of the short period of time between scans these LN's
were draining infection etc..

ct2/t3 NX M0

3/6/17 started 25 session rad & chemo (xeloda 1650mg twice a day) complete 4/7/17

a little over 10 weeks to cool down and allow radiation to continue to work

6/20/17 LAR and temp loop illeo

pathology as follows
growth at less than 0.1 cm (originally 5-6 cm) well differentiated
no PNI
no LVI
no LN involvement
no histology of MSI
pt1 N0 M0 (t1 because of microscopic tumour invasion into submucosa)
oddly my cancer team would not commit to stage until pathology weird huh?

81 days from discovery to first treatment

6 rounds of mop up chemo late aug 2017 to mid dec 2017 6 rounds of 2 weeks on 1 week off 2000 mg twice a day

ct scans Jan 2018 and colonoscopy Jan 2018 show all clear
still monitoring cea and ldh

Not sure if this helps but I had enlarged LN's as well
Last edited by Chickspeed on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12/15/2016 Mod Diff tumour 5-6 cm 10-12 cm fr AV T3 tumour cea 1.4
12/29/2016 CT no spread ln normal
1/19/2017 MRI confirms mass and shows 3 enlarged LN (suspected to be infection draining)
3/6/2017 25 sessions chemoradiation
6/20/2017 LAR with temp loop ileo
7/10/2017 Path 20mm margins tumour 0.1 CM with microscopic invasion of submucosa
aug-dec 2017 6 rnds xeloda
1/9/2018 CT all clear
1/18/2018 Colonoscopy clear
3/27/2018 ileo reversal
CEA continues to be normal

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:57 pm

It is frustrating not to know the stage. Sorry for that stress. But, I (although not being a medical person) strongly suggest that you have it treated as Stage 3. Sadly I have seen Stage 2 folks who did not do chemo and ended as Stage 3 and then even Stage 4. Since your data is sort of murky, it seems best to treat it as aggressively as possible. Aggressive treatment will maximize your chances of a cure (I think) and also keep you from having regrets should you (I hope not) have a recurrence.
Take care,
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:00 pm

mini warning : random rant alert :shock: :mrgreen:

Just to add on a bit more from IME .....

I was offered FOLFOX after primary resection (2007) but went with Xeloda as I had good response and few side effects from neoadjuvant chemorad. The FOLFOX "benefit" was discussed at 3-5% improvement of OS BUTT with a larger book of side efx.

Would that 3-5% have prevented me from recurring ???? I don't know BUTT was not prepared to lose sleep over it,
not what IF ... WHAT IS !
I did Xeloda x2 and still got a met I needed to take care of ... SO with the met I did FOLFOX, the fully dirty dozen :shock: with 1 dose reduction along the way. It was all I could do and the best I could do at the time (2010) .

NOW there are discussions of doing 6-8-10 cycles as being not inferior for some situations.
SO :
protocols can be changed and tweaked, doses can be decreased, intervals can be lengthened, things can be added or subtracted.

I mentioned before it was good to have > 1 doc reviewing your hubby's case and "looking" over him.
" You will miss more for NOT looking ... than not knowing ."

MY take : when the met recurred I was determined to throw everything at it, which is why I did the FOLFOX... and my Onc told me because of otherwise good health, single clean met ... he was proceeding with curative intent, even though my so called "pseudo adjuvant" chemo protocol was controversial at that time.
I had told him :
" I would rather die from too much CT scan radiation and chemo than from a cancer we did not detect or failed to hit hard enough "
He did not argue.
My life = MY CHOICE !

I realize my "opinion and personality" do not fit with everyone.
I view this cancer shit as a battle, and yes also a Journey .. BUTT nobody ever said a Journey had to be an all inclusive paid vacation !!!! :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen: Our beloved BevG used to argue (with me) it was more like a "kidnapping" than a Journey.

When I used to teach martial arts / street defense type stuff .... we had a mantra :
hit first, hit hard, hit fast, hit often, keep hitting
.... better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I can't think of a more malevolent opponent than a cancer growing inside me
so I took the intensity of my training from the street ... INSIDE
I was determined to nuke that sunnuvabitch back to the last millenium

sorry if this may not be warm 'n fuzzy enough for some folks
BUTT ... it is only way I knew how to still be here the best I could
Is it working ?

... " I'll tell you tomorrow. But it's looking good so far."
sorry had to throw at least one Top Gun quote in here

MegaCheers all
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

hawkowl

Postby hawkowl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:23 pm

I had biopsy proven lymph node Mets before surgery, but after neoadjuvant folfox and chemoradiation plus targeted radiation to iliac nodes all were negative. Safest approach is to treat as if it were stage 3 based on pre op ct scan. But if the nodes responded well to pre op chemoradiation that is an excellent prognostic sign either way :-)
Dx 12/2014 T3N2MX (distant LPLN) low rectal
12/2014-4/2015: FOLFOX (8 cycles)
4/2015-6/2015: 28 cycles of chemoradiation with xeloda, SBRT
8/2015: Robotic APR with iliac node dissection; path showed ypT0,ypN0 (complete pathological response).
11/2015 scans clear, CEA 2.1
11/2015 parastomal hernia repair
3/2016 CEA 1.7, scans stable...
6/2020 5 years of normal CEA and stable scans
Now dealing with pyoderma gangrenosum.
Totally disabled due to oxaliplatin induced neuropathy and dysautonomia

Nohogirl

Postby Nohogirl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 pm

hawkowl wrote:I had biopsy proven lymph node Mets before surgery, but after neoadjuvant folfox and chemoradiation plus targeted radiation to iliac nodes all were negative. Safest approach is to treat as if it were stage 3 based on pre op ct scan. But if the nodes responded well to pre op chemoradiation that is an excellent prognostic sign either way :-)

Thank you hawkowl. Yes we fell lucky in that sense. I am glad the outcome from your chemoradiation was also good. Wishing you many healthy and happy years.
0 of 15 lymph nodes
No PNI
No LVI
Clear margins
02/19 Pet Scan. NED
08/19 Pet Scan NED
08/19 Colonoscopy Clear

Nohogirl

Postby Nohogirl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:57 pm

betsydoglover wrote:It is frustrating not to know the stage. Sorry for that stress. But, I (although not being a medical person) strongly suggest that you have it treated as Stage 3. Sadly I have seen Stage 2 folks who did not do chemo and ended as Stage 3 and then even Stage 4. Since your data is sort of murky, it seems best to treat it as aggressively as possible. Aggressive treatment will maximize your chances of a cure (I think) and also keep you from having regrets should you (I hope not) have a recurrence.
Take care,

Oh my God Betsy. I just read your signature. That is so awesome. I am so glad that you were able to achieve the stage of cured from stage IV. I am so happy for you. Seeing more stories like these make me understand that cancer is not a death sentence and gives me hope and faith.

As for my husband, we (more me than him) are ready to take the most agressive treatment they have to offer to us. I always tell my husband "We need to do everything and anything to kill the beast, only then we will have the time to deal with the side effects"
Best wishes to you :)

Nohogirl

Postby Nohogirl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 pm

CRguy wrote:mini warning : random rant alert :shock: :mrgreen:

Just to add on a bit more from IME .....

I was offered FOLFOX after primary resection (2007) but went with Xeloda as I had good response and few side effects from neoadjuvant chemorad. The FOLFOX "benefit" was discussed at 3-5% improvement of OS BUTT with a larger book of side efx.

Would that 3-5% have prevented me from recurring ???? I don't know BUTT was not prepared to lose sleep over it,
not what IF ... WHAT IS !
I did Xeloda x2 and still got a met I needed to take care of ... SO with the met I did FOLFOX, the fully dirty dozen :shock: with 1 dose reduction along the way. It was all I could do and the best I could do at the time (2010) .

NOW there are discussions of doing 6-8-10 cycles as being not inferior for some situations.
SO :
protocols can be changed and tweaked, doses can be decreased, intervals can be lengthened, things can be added or subtracted.

I mentioned before it was good to have > 1 doc reviewing your hubby's case and "looking" over him.
" You will miss more for NOT looking ... than not knowing ."

MY take : when the met recurred I was determined to throw everything at it, which is why I did the FOLFOX... and my Onc told me because of otherwise good health, single clean met ... he was proceeding with curative intent, even though my so called "pseudo adjuvant" chemo protocol was controversial at that time.
I had told him :
" I would rather die from too much CT scan radiation and chemo than from a cancer we did not detect or failed to hit hard enough "
He did not argue.
My life = MY CHOICE !

I realize my "opinion and personality" do not fit with everyone.
I view this cancer shit as a battle, and yes also a Journey .. BUTT nobody ever said a Journey had to be an all inclusive paid vacation !!!! :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen: Our beloved BevG used to argue (with me) it was more like a "kidnapping" than a Journey.

When I used to teach martial arts / street defense type stuff .... we had a mantra :
hit first, hit hard, hit fast, hit often, keep hitting
.... better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I can't think of a more malevolent opponent than a cancer growing inside me
so I took the intensity of my training from the street ... INSIDE
I was determined to nuke that sunnuvabitch back to the last millenium

sorry if this may not be warm 'n fuzzy enough for some folks
BUTT ... it is only way I knew how to still be here the best I could
Is it working ?

... " I'll tell you tomorrow. But it's looking good so far."
sorry had to throw at least one Top Gun quote in here

MegaCheers all
CRguy

You did a great job CRguy! I applaud and admire your determination which had a purpose and that purpose was not only to be cured and survive but also to serve as an example and inspirationo to others during their battle with this most awful and terrifying thing called cancer.
0 of 15 lymph nodes
No PNI
No LVI
Clear margins
02/19 Pet Scan. NED
08/19 Pet Scan NED
08/19 Colonoscopy Clear

Nohogirl

Postby Nohogirl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Lee wrote:
CRguy wrote: . . . .don't take medical oncology advice from a surgeon ! etc. etc. etc.
CRguy

That is the best advice,

Know in your heart, your husband can beat this. Whether it is stage 2 or stage 3, it is treatable. The chemo he is about to get is to clean up/mop up any floater cancer cells that might be in his body.

I too got the FOLFOX with the infusion at the Dr.'s office followed up with the pump for 48hrs. Both treatments are standard protocol, some people prefer the pills while other prefer the pump.

Good luck

Thank you Lee. Thanks for sharing your chemo regimen.
I do hope , pray and beg God everyday for my husband's cure. I am not ready to accept and live this life without him. 15 years is not very long but enough to be bonded and attached to your other half...

Please continue chime in, as you and many other survivors like you encourage and inspire others who are newly faced with this horrifying challange.
0 of 15 lymph nodes
No PNI
No LVI
Clear margins
02/19 Pet Scan. NED
08/19 Pet Scan NED
08/19 Colonoscopy Clear

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Know that you and your husband are never alone here. We've walked in your shoes, and understand you and your fears and frustrations. So when some of your friends don't get what you are going through, know that we do.

All the best,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”